Some General Fissure Q's

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Some General Fissure Q's

Postby SunshineHope » 10 May 2007, 20:52

hi everyone,
I'm posting again cause I have a few questions... I know I'm supposed to be hopeful about this fissure healing but it seems like I have loads of pain every single time I go, and whenever I think I'm healing it rips open again (or I have an awful BM with blood)...
I was wondering:
1) What's the point of drinking so much water if you pee it all out before your BM? Does it even make our stool soft at all?
2) Just a general question for anyone that uses flax seed oil: eew, what do you eat it with? Lecia was suggesting having 1 tbsp in the morning and 1 at night, but do you guys just drink it raw? I'm desperate to stop the pain but it seems like fibre doesn't help make my stool soft, nor does water (unless, perhaps, I start drinking water literally every single minute of the day Image )
3) Do any vegetarians here know if tofu / soy products could cause harm in BM's? I'm 100% veg and sometimes the soy stuff is the only real flavour I can get (I love it), but I'm pretty sure it has no fibre whatsoever. Any idea about this (Lecia I think you may know because I know you're a veg. too)?
Image Getting so confused about when or if this will all go away!
thanks for any advice.. Image :kiss:
luv,
sunshine
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: Some General Fissure Q's

Postby fissure101 » 10 May 2007, 22:34

water will always help. not all the water u drink get out as pee at once. some of it stays in ur intestine for a long time. some of that water gets sucked out of ur colon and the stool starts to take a more solid shape at that point.
u might want to talk to ur doc about the miralax powder. i'm taking it and it helps. it helps by retaining more water in ur stool so that it does not get too dry.
u may also want to try the papaya fruit and solid prune or prune juice. whatever new stuff u try, give it a couple of days to see the outcome and also try in moderation until u r sure about the outcome.
hope this helps.
fissure101
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Guest » 11 May 2007, 06:12

Hey Sunshine,
Yes, Fissure101 is absolutely right about the water-thanks for your great answer! Water is critical for maintaining homeostasis in all organ systems-so keep that up. It will help with the softness of the stool!
I have used flax seed oil raw but my favorite way to eat is in making salad dressing or as a flavoring to add on top of stir fry vegetables. It gives it a nutty flavor that is very good (at least to me but I have been told that i am weird!) You can also take them in capsules-I do that too if I can't have it straight up.
My main protein source is soy and I have never noticed it to be constipating. It doesn't have a lot of fiber but compared to meat it does have more. I think it is a great alternative to dairy which can be hard to digest. If you think soy might be the culprit you could get your protein more from lentils and beans.
I think what you are going through is likely from getting back from your trip and getting into your regular routine again. When is your next doctor's appointment?
You are going to be okay!
Lecia

Postby Guest » 11 May 2007, 07:22

Sunshine,
Hang in there it can get better and it will get better if you stay on the proper regimen (you may ultimately need surgery like I and many others did or you may be able to heal your fissure w/out surgery as Lecia and Gareth have but KNOW that you can and will get better if you cntinue to treat your body appropriately.
I spent approx. 5 weeks in agonizing pain 3 to six hours every day and 10 to 15 minutes of that was right after a BM . Through eating right(28 to 35 grams of fiber per day) , drinking 3 liters to one gallon of water per day (just make that commitment: 3 liters to 1 gallon everyday whether you need it or not) , taking miralax (17 mg per day) and 300 to 600 mg of colace per day I kept my stool very soft and got rid of the BM pain before the surgery . The burning pain that came typically right after and took 10 to 15 minutes to recede (w/atub soak) ended within a day or two after the surgery. The spasm pain ended immediately after surgery.
Over the next week I got to feeling better and better, as I was feelilng better I started slacking off from doing the things that had gotten the fissure wound some better even prior to the surgery (just a little slacking off) ie not quite as much water, not quite as much fiber, I went from having 4 to 5 bulky soft BMs per day back to haveing one or two soft BMs to having one soft but more formed BM this morning.
Again, remember, yesterday and maybe even the day before I had eased up on water and fiber, just a bit. This mornings BM was a little uncomfortable ( some might call it painful but in comaparison to what I was having prior to surgery it was only uncomfortable), but it is causing me to rededicate myself to making sure that I get the fiber , water , and stool softener as recommended by my Brothers and Sisters on this forum , and prescribed by my Doctor. He told me it would take 4 to six weeks after the surgery to Heal the Fissure.
Soft BMS are absolutely necessary to HEAL the Fissure.
So... Do what ever you have to insure your BMs are soft (hopefully for the rest of your life, but definitely until your fissure is healed).
Remember:
3 liters to 1 gallon of water per day.
25 to 35 grams of fiber per day
stool softerner 200 to 500mg colace per day (depending on your size.
I really believe that you can and will get better if you hang in there with a regimen akin to what has been laid out.
You are in my Prayers.
GOD Bless All!!

Postby SunshineHope » 12 May 2007, 01:56

Thank you all for your replies, I do feel a lot better hearing from people that actually know what the pain feels like.
I got the stool softener today and took it, my BM's have been off since I returned from my trip, so I'm hoping I'll go in the morning (I haven't gone all day as I just didn't have the urge and was running around all day doing things).
I guess you're all right with the water, I think I drink less now than I did before because I didn't understand if it'd really help. I only have pain when I have a BM (excrutiating pain that I've somehow learned to handle - I hope child birth isn't as bad?? Thank God I have a few yrs before I have to think of that, hopefully)... Usually for 15 mins after a really painful BM it'll still be hurting, but I never take pain killers for it, because as soon as I use diltiazem the pain goes away.
I just want this darned fissure to heal !!!!! Image take care all .
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 12 May 2007, 06:34

Having gone through 2 unmedicated deliveries, let me tell you AF is much worse! If you can handle this, childbirth will be a breeze-plus you forget the immediate pain when they hand you your baby and see that precious face for the first time. Oh, no I am starting to get choked up here!
:D :(
Lecia

Postby Guest » 12 May 2007, 08:32

Hey Sunshine,
Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Stick to the water and the fiber. Yesterday, I made sure that I got the right amount of fiber and that I drank close to a gallon of water, if not more, this AM my movement passed through with no discomfort at all and the afterburn was minimal. That reinforces the teaching of everyone on this forum as well as my Doctor that the key to healing the fissure, after one has dealt with the spasm (with surgery or chemically) is to manage ones daily intake of fiber and water, and refraining from eating things that are just particularly bad for the condition, ie jalopenas etc.... thereby keeping a soft stool which will allow ones body to do it's thing and heal the fissure wound.

I am praying that I can "stay the course" and I am praying that you and every one else can too. It can be done Lecia, Gareth, Kim, Gismo, Cheryl and countless others are living testimony to that.

Good Luck and Godspeed in your Recovery!
WA

Postby Deleted User 5 » 12 May 2007, 08:36

MB, you are becoming testimony to that, too!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby small_flower » 13 May 2007, 20:45

SunshineHope wrote:Thank you all for your replies, I do feel a lot better hearing from people that actually know what the pain feels like.

Ahh I know sunshine. Isn't it a blessing???? This place helped me get through my surgery and recovery so much! Theres nothing like having a bunch of people understand what your going through!
xo
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Guest » 13 May 2007, 21:49

Congrats! Kate on your graduation. You look so happy. We are proud of all of your accomplishments especially with suffering with AF during such a critical time in your education. So glad you got through it. You'll have to keep us posted on what you will be up to now, college grad!
Congratulations and best wishes for all you want to do.
Your fissure friend,
Lecia