Steps to insuring NO Constipation after surgery?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Steps to insuring NO Constipation after surgery?

Postby Guest » 01 May 2007, 12:54

Specifically what should one do to make sure you don't get constipated after you have sphincterotomy?

Re: Steps to insuring NO Constipation after surgery?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 May 2007, 13:08

Just make sure you stay on the diet. Drink water. Avoid narcotic, constipation-inducing painkillers if you can. Fiber. Fruits and veggies!
During my hospital stay, they gave me mineral oil and metamucil, so constipation *was* a concern for them. When I went home, I was told to stop the mineral oil.
I went off the diet even while I was still in the hospital. They brought me hamburgers and other such stuff. Evidentally, they don't have a "constipation" diet for post surgery patients at the hospital I went to.
We'll all be thinking about you and praying for you tonight and especially tomorrow, MB!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 01 May 2007, 14:43

Yes, good luck with everything tomorrow.
Fiber, acidopholis (can do capsules or yogurt), flax seed or fish oil...those have been my anti-constipation workhorses! After my surgery I used miralax and that helped too.
Prayers for you,
Lecia

Postby SunshineHope » 01 May 2007, 22:51

I haven't had surgery, but two of the things that really help me prevent constipation are: oranges (surprisingly, especially mandarin oranges), and prune juice. Prune juice is a blessing for me - one of the biggest blessings I've ever had! I think drinking lots of liquids is also very important, as is exercise.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby fissure101 » 08 May 2007, 14:34

SunshineHope,
How much prune juice do you take? Any specific timing?
I'm currently taking about 5 prunes a day. Is the juice more effective?
fissure101
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby SunshineHope » 09 May 2007, 12:16

Hey,
I've never had raw prunes so I'm not sure how well they work. Once when I was really constipated, I had a full glass (maybe 300 ml?) of prune juice twice in one night and again in the morning! I also had a papaya and aloe vera juice haha so it made the stool really soft in the morning.
Nowadays I have prune juice at least once per day, and usually I have at least a 250-300 ml dose, but I may need to start drinking it more (e.g. a larger dose or twice a day). I've found it's helped me a lot compared to my diet before of metemucil, as much fibre as I can and fruit here and there.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38