Still in Pain

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Still in Pain

Postby Rusty62 » 14 May 2013, 17:19

I had an LIS almost a year ago because of a fissure caused from over prescription of antibiotics for a UTI. I have been back to the surgeon many times and he says everything is healed. I still have pain after a BM that goes on for hours. I was prescribed muscle relaxers to try and loosen the muscle because my surgeon seems to think it is too tight. I have pretty much given up going back to him because nothing seems to work. The pain is not as bad as before the surgery but my life is still governed by a part of my body that it shouldn't be. I go to work where there is hot water to soak in after and sometimes do a quick trip after work to a store and get home as fast as I can. Trips to the mall or movies or even out to dinner are not an option.
Anyone have any suggestions on a direction for me?
Rusty62
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Still in Pain

Postby becsbum » 14 May 2013, 18:04

Have you looked into physical therapy? There are physical therapists who specialize in pelvic floor dysfunction - perhaps they could address the spasms?
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Anne37 » 14 May 2013, 18:06

I'd get a second opinion if you're able!
Anne37
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby owmybum » 15 May 2013, 02:17

I agree.... Find another crs and get a second opinion.
The lis incision may have been too conservative, I would get this checked out.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Savaici » 15 May 2013, 12:23

Join my club, Rusty62, as this is exactly my life. And I have seen doctors, surgeons, etc.
I am of the opinion that it is chronic nerve pain, with the nerves being patterned into reacting on a direct circuit of bum to brain. Image
Here is a link to an article about chronic anal pain that might be of some help I hope:
http://www.theiaforum.org/Article_Folder/management-of-chronic-perineal-pain.pdf
It is all very frustrating, and I sometimes wonder if this is it for me for the rest of my life. If I was the type to suffer depression, this would be the time. I just go on, and live my life as it is... Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 15 May 2013, 15:52

Rusty and Savaici,
Have either of you had or considered acupuncture? I work for a GP whose practice is integrative medicine. I was a skeptic about acupuncture, but have seen people cured of all kinds of things when all else failed. Because of my fissure being so sudden and acute (painwise) I didn't have the opportunity, since 7 weeks into my first I had the LIS, but I talked to them about it and they do treat anal issues with acupuncture. If I have healing issues, I plan to get on the acupuncture table, as I am now a believer. It couldn't hurt to try it.
Wishing you both find some method of relief,
B.M.Ouch
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Rusty62 » 15 May 2013, 16:22

Thank you all for all your advice. I think I am going to go for a second opinion. But if they recommend more surgery that is where I stop. Never again.
Thank you Savaici for the link to that article. Abit confusing with the medical terms but I got the meaning of most of it.
I am glad to hear that what I am experiencing is not unique even though it really stinks to be in this pain. I had the surgery to not have pain as I am sure you did. I do have bouts of depression over it but muddle through. I do believe the pain is nerve related and pray that the damage I believe I have from the surgery will someday heal. Image
Rusty62
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 15 May 2013, 16:53

Hi Rusty,
If there is anything you didn't quite get in the article, would be happy to explain. I have quite studied the article, though I have not had any of the procedures done that they suggest. However, the next time I have the opportunity to see a Colon and Rectal Surgeon (CRS), I plan to take at least a summary along with me! :D
Savaici
Administrator

Postby Savaici » 15 May 2013, 17:08

BootyMcOuch,
Definitely do believe in acupuncture, as though it was extremely painful at the time, I had it done by an MD for chronic shoulder pain. Would also have hypnotism done, if it was available in the isolated area in which I live. I shall investigate a little further, but I suspect I shall have to travel to find either of these treatments.
I considered going to the Center for Intergrative Medicine at Johns Hopkins Hospital about 18 months ago, but regretfully I took another course nearer home, which was a total waste of time/money.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby Rusty62 » 17 May 2013, 15:25

I have actually done some research and since I am petrified of more surgery, I am going to try acupuncture. My surgeon keeps saying I am totally healed so.......... I go next Wednesday so we'll see how that goes. Again, thanks so much for all your input.
Rusty62
Fibre Addict