*~ StReSs ReLieF? ~*

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

*~ StReSs ReLieF? ~*

Postby SunshineHope » 29 Jun 2007, 13:35

Hehe so just a fun topic - what do you guys do to relieve stress? Having a fissure can be a pretty upsetting thing. I've had my moments where I feel like breaking down but strength comes from somewhere and I manage to control the dispair!! It can be really hard at times though, & i thought it may be helpful for everyone to just share how they deal with their stress -- flat out optimism? meditation? warm baths? (hehe)
xo
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: *~ StReSs ReLieF? ~*

Postby Guest » 29 Jun 2007, 13:58

Great question there, Sunshine! I am interested to hear what others do.
When I am stressed I pray about things and read things that are uplifting. I also do something that needs to get done to get my mind off of it. I play the piano or surf, chat with you guys, play with my kids, think about others who are in worse situations or are suffering and how to help them. I also like comedy. My favorites to watch are: Spinal Tap, the Waterboy, Tommyboy and the Princess Bride. Sometimes you just need something mindless to watch.
What also helps is to take one step toward finding a solution to something. For example, making an appointment, doing some research, talking to others with the same thing, etc.
Things not so good that I do: shop online
What about the rest of you?

Postby happyass » 29 Jun 2007, 16:14

when under stress, i like to:
go for a jog
do some yoga
get a massage - like a foot massage or a scalp massage or a back massage
hug my cat
lose myself in a good recipe idea to make in the kitchen
quiet the mind and take a nap
go to the movies
try to read a book or look through some magazines
daydream
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 30 Jun 2007, 06:46

Hello,

I am going to go to my doctor before my next CRS appt. This AF is really taking a toll on me. I couldn't even have my tooth pulled yesterday because I was so freaked out cause of this AF. I have been thru so much this year that I am fried. So for my stress I am going to ask the doctor for something to calm my nerves until this AF is healed. Sunshine I know I might sound weak but I can't help it for some reason.

Patty

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Jun 2007, 06:49

When I feel stress, I take a loooong drive...sometimes I'll even go out of state.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 30 Jun 2007, 10:42

Hey Patty,
I don't blame you for putting off your dental appointment. We can only deal with so much pain at a time and why overwhelm our systems like that.
Did you ever ask about a small dose of valium to help with the sphincter muscle? It would probably help your anxiety but it isn't for long term use though.

Postby SunshineHope » 01 Jul 2007, 18:12

Hey Patty, no need to apologize. I know what you mean, it can be so so stressful to deal with this. I've become much more introverted after all of this, I don't go out half as much and try staying at home more - just because of the comfort of being near your own toilet, your bed, your cushion, etc. It can be very depressing which is why I have to try extra hard to stay calm and hopeful about it. I really don't blame you for asking the doctor for help - infact I think you're BRAVE rather than weak for doing that!
Some of the things I do when stress is taking me over include:
--Meditate, and when I do this, I sort of imagine the entire creation in all its beauty and all the healing powers of the world, the natural atmosphere, and how beautifully things are restored and renewed. There's something special about nature that can provide so much calmness, serenity, and healing... Or maybe I'm just a nut!
--Pray for guidance, support, acceptance, strength, etc., and most of all, to be able to handle things through my own internal power.
--Go for a walk, smell the fresh air, and actually smell the flowers. This helps my mind calm down a bit and realize that life is too beautiful to waste on worry.
--Talk to a friend, or siblings or parents about what's going on and just gain support and advice.
--Take a bath and lie down with my eyes closed.
--Breath deeply (inhaaaaaale, exhaaaaaale). hehe
--Go to sleep/take a nap - sometimes my mind is too tired to work things out and de-stress, so I just let it rest
--Watch a stupid TV show or movie that makes me feel better and take my mind out of my problems (e.g. a comedy show)
--Dance around and act like an idiot with my sister
--Remembering I'm a role model for my siblings, family, friends, and all the kids in my life (cousins, kids in the places I volunteer every week, etc.) and that my positive or negative attitude will spread to those around me... I have to keep on reminding myself to be strong and have hope because other people have suffered through even more horrible things. I also have to remind myself that all of this will make me much stronger.
I hope more people reply! I really enjoyed reading everyone elses responses!
take care, xo Image
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 01 Jul 2007, 18:33

Sunshinehope,
Thanks so much for the support. I can't wait to call the doctor tomorrow. I am going to try harder to get out and do stuff. This is bad for me because I am use to going at mock 10 speed and this AF has slowed me down to -3. I want so much to help others around me and I can't because my bath tub is home (lol). My nephew is waiting for the next Harry Potter moive to come out and I want to take him. Hopefully I can. There are more people out ther going thru so much worse than I am. I wish I was healthy enough to be of some help. Your positive words are an inspiration. I will try to be like the good soldier and trudge forward thru this AF. We are the AF troop and we will win this battle.:cheer:
Thanks again!!
BBG
Patty

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 02 Jul 2007, 17:30

This AF thing has been wreaking havoc on me mentally, so stress relievers are definitely important. What I do...
--talk to someone about it (friend, family member, or ALL OF YOU)
--take several deep breaths
--go for a walk
--read or write (to take my mind off of it -- distraction is key)
--pray
--attempt to transform my situation into a positive. i've begun cooking healthy meals. this way, i'm able to say to myself, "this AF is bad, but because of it, i'm now eathing healthier (more whole grains, more veggies, more fruit), so i'm decreasing my chances for much greater problems down the road."
--do good deeds
--meditate on Buddhism's Four Noble Truths. I imagine they're compatible with any religion. Basically, they say: first, everyone has suffering in their lives. Second we shouldn't cling to things that can't bring true happiness: material goods, money, HEALTH. All these things are impermanent. Third/fourth, despite our suffering, we can achieve peace of mind by practicing good deeds, training the mind, and developing wisdom.
--do everything i can (within reason) to fix my AF (i.e. lots of research, eating healthy, applying meds, taking baths, seeing doctors, etc), but accept the fact that if i need surgery, so be it. what will be, will be. even when I think I'm doing everything perfect, I sometimes have bad days. i can only do so much. i can't let this thing control my entire life.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby Guest » 02 Jul 2007, 18:33

Hi All, I'm new here...just gonna jump right in.
I only have balconies but I have container gardens on them. I also have fountains out there and I find that tending to the flowers and plants and listening to the fountains is very relaxing.
The Zoloft helps, too! :)