Surgery on 6/10

Really scared, but out of options

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery on 6/10

Postby StarrySky » 07 Jun 2020, 13:31

Hi everyone,

I am 36/f and am having the LIS + possible fissure cauterization surgery on June 10th. I've been suffering with at least two fissures since November. My problem is a really tight muscle which apparently has been preventing the fissures from healing plus causing new ones. I've tried Diltiazem and Nifedipine, but they didn't help enough to heal them. I was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago and got fissures during my chemo treatment (which was AWFUL). Those healed, but the problem returned a few months later after I went on vacation last year and strained a bit. I have no issues with constipation normally and eat a very healthy diet full of veggies and fruits. I think the issue with getting these current fissures to heal is due to them being on the inside more, whereas the ones I had during chemo were more on the outside.

I'm very scared about the recovery. I worry about being in more pain than I am now. My pain threshold is not very high. My pain was actually pretty much non-existent last week (go figure) and had me considering cancelling the surgery, but then I got more pain this weekend due to a slightly larger BM. I could still feel the fissures even without that much pain, if that makes sense. Even when I don't have much pain, the muscle is clenched so tight. I can't even get the ointments in there decently. It doesn't matter how soft my stool is, it just seems to keep re-tearing. : ( Needless to say, I am tired of this roller coaster ride and just want to heal and be done with it. This is really affecting my quality of life.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone has who has been through this. I'm just terrified of all this. I have a great surgeon to do it (CRS with 30+ years experience who deals exclusively with these issues), so that is not a problem. I just am so scared about the pain and bowel management afterward. My CRS said recovery is a week to two weeks. Is that about right? I don't have to worry about going back to work, thankfully, since I work at home and can work when I feel up to it.

I've read so much conflicting information on the recovery. Some people seem to not experience much pain and are fine within a week or two, while others are in a ton of severe pain for a week or more. That really scares me.

Thanks so much and hope everyone is doing well. I will try to keep everyone up to date.
StarrySky
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: Surgery on 6/10

Postby StarrySky » 09 Jun 2020, 11:38

Starting to get really scared. I'm not sure I can do this. : ( I really don't know what to do. I'm just so terrified right now. Nobody in my life understands this issue since they've never had the problem, so I have nobody else to talk to about this, which makes it even more difficult.

I really don't want to cancel, but I'm really scared.
StarrySky
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 09 Jun 2020, 22:48

I think that a great majority do very well with the surgery and there's no logical reason to think that you won't be in that group. I knows that it's hard, and scary, but think about being on the other side of it in a few days and keep your eye on that. Good luck!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby StarrySky » 10 Jun 2020, 11:04

Thank you, chachacha. I really hope I do as well as others on here who have had a smooth recovery and are 100% better now. I just want these fissures to heal so I can move on with my life.

Thank you again for the well wishes. : )
StarrySky
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 10 Jun 2020, 12:01

Don't forget to come back and give us an update.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby StarrySky » 10 Jun 2020, 12:29

I definitely well. Surgery is this afternoon. I will update either tonight or tomorrow hopefully.
StarrySky
Salt Bather

Postby Pzgre » 10 Jun 2020, 16:11

Good luck!
Pzgre
Salt Bather

Postby StarrySky » 10 Jun 2020, 21:59

Hi everyone,

I'm back from surgery. Thank you all for the well wishes. : )

I am not sure what to do at the moment. I have a lot of packing (on the outside) and am unclear about when to take it off. The discharge instructions said to leave it until I see a physician, but that can't be right, right? I won't be seeing my surgeon until 4-6 weeks. I guess I will just remove it in the morning.

I'm also unclear when to start the sitz bathes. I'm assuming I can start them tomorrow after I remove the packing and have a possible BM? I guess I will need to call my surgeon. He wasn't very clear on that.

I'm terrified of the first bowel movement. : ( I know I will probably have to go tomorrow since I'm very regular, but we'll see. I tried to eat very lightly today. I was tempted to starve myself, but my surgeon advised against that since he said that will just make things worse.

I really don't want to take the Norco if I don't have to, but my surgeon said to stay ahead of the pain. So, I'm unsure when I should take one. Perhaps before bed.

Going to get some sleep and call my surgeon's office in the morning. Thanks again for the well wishes!
StarrySky
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 10 Jun 2020, 22:55

Congrats. You clearly did very well. I don't remember when I removed the outer gauze, because my surgery was so long ago (5 years?), but since you don't have enough answers, you should definitely call your surgeon's office to get them. I do know that you may not have a bowel movement as soon as you expect though, because surgery slows down the bowel.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby StarrySky » 11 Jun 2020, 11:09

Thank you! : ) I called my surgeon's office and removed the gauze this morning. I'm also to start sitz baths today.

I feel the urge for a bowel movement coming on, so I will probably have one this morning. : ( Not looking forward to that at all.
StarrySky
Salt Bather