Surgery tomorrow...I am so nervous

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery tomorrow...I am so nervous

Postby Deleted User 579 » 20 Jul 2011, 14:39

Congratulations, Jas!! Image
I'm so glad the surgery went so well and that you didn't need the hemmie-ectomy. Image
The packing is uncomfortable, but it should come out with the first or second bowel movement. I didn't have significant packing, so perhaps others here who did can give you good advice on that.
I took Miralax the evening of the day of my surgery, around 9:30pm - I was already taking 1/2 doses twice a day before the surgery and I just pretty much kept to my schedule after the surgery, but I used a little bit more because of the pain killers (i.e., about 2/3 dose twice a day, around 9am and around 9pm in the evening).
The first week is the most difficult part of recovery, but you'll be just fine. Don't be afraid of the first BM. It's scary but it doesn't hurt very much (certainly not as bad as the fissure pain!). Remeber to take deep yoga breaths - don't push - and relax and the BM will be ok.
Take it very easy this evening, take your pain meds, and take the miralax - as Dawn says, even taking it now would be good.
Good for you, Jas! You're now on your way to healing! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Jas » 20 Jul 2011, 15:07

Thank you both for your support. The vicodin has already helped. I will take the miralax soon. Just letting my stomach rest after the surgery. Nurse said my stomach can get upset if I eat to soon. Do you have any good food suggestions after surgery. My wife got me jello, pudding and soup. What else is ok to eat? Also I know everyone is different but do you think 2 vicodin is too much. The bottle says 1-2 every 4 to 6 hours. I just want to set myself up for success and not do anything I will regret. Like others have said this board is great....thank you
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2011, 15:27

The vicodin will probably keep the pain at bay. I don't think two is too much but you defnitely have to take the stool softeners and keep the bm's soft while on the pain meds. Have you ever taken miralax before? If not, you may need to adjust the dose up or down according to how it does you w/ the meds. It really doesn't kick in right away. It can take a day or a few to get the real results of it.
Any soft foods with fiber are ok. Just avoid dairy, or anything that you wouldn't eat with your fissure before surgery.
The vicodin did make me puke so I was gave a prescription ahead to take home for that. Hopefully you won't have any problems with that! Oh and keep up your water intake while recovering. I know today is out of the norm with the surgery and everything but as soon as you can continue with the high fiber, water and everything that kept the bm's coming and soft before.

Postby SummerGal » 20 Jul 2011, 21:53

I am glad the surgery went well Jas. I wish you the best! I have my surgery next Friday, so it's nice to hear you made it through well. Thanks for sharing your story! Has anyone on here taken Dulcolax? I already have some of that, or is Miralax the best?
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Jas » 21 Jul 2011, 15:13

Update...Day after surgery and I am very little pain, just discomfort. I actually have not taken my vicodin since 4am. I did take 800mg ibuprofen at 10am and it seems to be working quite well. I am having some gas and clear leakage at the same time...not sure if that is to be expected or not. Other than that just waiting on my first BM the packing will come out at that time. Soaked this morning for 15 minutes no soap, Dr says 2-3 times a day is ok.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2011, 21:28

SummerGal wrote:I am glad the surgery went well Jas. I wish you the best! I have my surgery next Friday, so it's nice to hear you made it through well. Thanks for sharing your story! Has anyone on here taken Dulcolax? I already have some of that, or is Miralax the best?

Summer,
I would say the majority of folks on here would go with the miralax. It's a good idea to try it out before surgery to see how it works for you and then stick with it while recovering. It's a good to already have a routine established with your diet and stool softeners before surgery- so you aren't having to go through the trial and error thing much while recovering. Good Luck w/ your surgery next Friday!

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2011, 21:36

Good that your doing well Jas and already off the pain meds.
I soaked a lot after my surgery too. Felt pretty good.:)
No soap is good too! Keep us posted on your progress.

Postby Jas » 22 Jul 2011, 10:36

How long does it take for the first BM. I know it's different for everyone but is it normal to have to wait this long
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 22 Jul 2011, 11:35

Hey Jas,
Mine came the day after surgery. The little bit of vicodin can slow down and/or constipate. Since it has been 2 days since your surgery( right?), I would call your CRS and ask what they recommend you take and tell them you haven't had a bm yet.
I was told to take Milk of magnesia after 48hrs and if that didn't work then I was told to take magnesium citrate.
You don't want to get the runs because from what I've read, it can be uncomfortable and burn. So don't take a whole bunch of stuff at one time without giving an ample enough time for one to work.
Have you been taking the miralax since your surgery? Did you do a clear out the day of your surgery? Some folks are instructed to do that and that too can slow things down. I didn't so I went the next day after.
My surgery has been awhile now and It's all kind of a fog but I believe you need to have a bm today, so I would definitely call the crs and see what they say.

Postby Jas » 22 Jul 2011, 11:51

I did have to clear myself out the morning of the surgery. I have been taking miralax since the day of my surgery and a bit of metamucil but not to much. I have also been drinking lots of water. I have the packing that is inside, not sure if that may be another reason might be acting like a cork.
Jas
Salt Bather