Surgery tomorrow...I am so nervous

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery tomorrow...I am so nervous

Postby Jas » 29 Jul 2011, 16:27

9 days post surgery...is it normal to have a small amount of bleeding after BM? Not much pain associated, just a little discomfort feeling.
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 29 Jul 2011, 16:50

Jas,
I don't think that's uncommon at all. Many folks spot here and there after surgery.
Your fissure still needs 6 weeks at best to heal and you just got a new cut down there with the LIS. It will get better! You really have to eat well and keep the bm's regular and soft. The baths are still really important and aid in the healing. It took me 6 weeks to heal my fissure and skin tag. I took the baths after every bm and probably 3-4 x's a day in between. Stay off your butt as much as you can too. I don't think any added pressure helps. You really have to count weeks while healing, not days or it'll seem like your getting no where. Ask yourself each week if it is better than the week before. Usually by 2-3 weeks there's a huge difference and you'll feel so much better. I was almost 3 weeks and went shopping/ walking all day with no problem. At 12 days post -op, I had to lay down in the back seat while my husband drove. It was Halloween and I was still pretty sore. Just a few days or a week make a huge difference in the healing, but you have to be vigilant with the diet, baths,stool softeners.
You really have to eat well. Most folks think eating a little is going to help post-op, but I think it actually works against you. The less you eat, the slower things are going to move through you and they'll be harder when they come out or you'll get a bunch of small incomplete,annoying bm's.

Postby Jas » 29 Jul 2011, 20:06

Thank you I will use your tips.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Jas » 02 Aug 2011, 13:49

Tomorrow will be two weeks since my surgery. At the present time I am having little to no pain. Sometimes during a BM and right after I have a minor discomfort. Not sure if this is normal but sometimes my stool is about the diameter of a nickel or dime. I thought I would have larger BM'S. I am also itching alot more near the LIS incision. I keep the area clean an soak in a warm bath after each BM. I hope this is a sign of healing and not an infection. I do not have much leakage and no puss or any other signs. I do still get a very small amount of bleeding after my BM. For example I had a BM with a small amount of blood. After cleaning myself and soaking I was out shopping. About an hour later I felt a small amount of wetness back there and when I went to check I had some blood on the TP. This does not happen every day just every now and then. Has anyone every had the same issues during their healing phase? Am I crazy to analyze things this way or is it pretty typical for most AF sufferers. By the way I have my 2 week check up this Thursday. Sorry for being so graphic, I feel like it may be TMI.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Jas » 02 Aug 2011, 14:05

Another note...after looking with a mirror it appears the bleeding is coming from where I had the large posterior fissurectomy done. Is it normal for it to still bleed after the surgery with no pain in the area
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 02 Aug 2011, 14:23

Hi Jas! There's no such thing as TMI here! :D

It sounds like you are healing very well. It's not uncommon to bleed a bit two weeks post-op. The fissure itself will take at least 6-8 weeks to heal, and until it does, it may bleed from time to time. As long as there's no pain, then the sphincter isn't spasming and the conditions for healing are good. The itching may be due to the healing process, but you are right to keep an eye on things, because a burning/itching sensation can indicate an infection. I also analyze everything - my bathroom has become a laboratory. :D But try not to worry too much. It does sound like you are right on schedule, healing-wise, and doing very well!
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 02 Aug 2011, 14:58

I had fistula surgery on 15th june, and have much of the same as you describe - bad itching, and random bleeding not associated with a bm. I'm hoping it means it is healing, but not too convinced!
Hopefully we're both healing nicely and it's totally normal!
And as Hope so rightly says there is no such thing as TMI on this forum!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Jas » 02 Aug 2011, 21:58

Tonight I am feeling a little dull ache near the fissurectomy. On a scale of 1-10 about a one or two. It is not a contant pain just a little dull twinge every now and then. I wonder if it's because I am thinking about it more. I hope it's not a bad sign of things to come. My healing has been good since my surgery two weeks ago.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby kristiblue » 12 Aug 2011, 12:27

@ Jas. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm I miss my PBJ's. I cant even imagine eating one now....maybe someday. Congrats on ur recovery success.Your story is inspiring.
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Jas » 13 Aug 2011, 12:40

Just past the 3 week mark since surgery. Things are going really good. Still have the wounds from the fissurectomy and LIS but they are much smaller and seem to be healing well. I have increased my fiber intake and my BM is larger but only causes a little discomfort at the wound sites. My surgeon says to keep them larger to help the rectal tone and occasional bleeding is ok during the healing process. I have also cut down my bathes from 3 to 1 to 2 a day and it seems to be working for me. Still watch what I eat just to keep things moving well
Jas
Salt Bather