suture knot sticking out of the incision site

LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

suture knot sticking out of the incision site

Postby Misty789 » 06 Jan 2017, 21:44

Please, advice needed.

I had my LIS 4 weeks ago today. Over the last week or so, I noticed a black dot, like and indentation, at the outer end of the LIS incision. It was starting to look like some stool that got impacted in the incision. I was thinking it was a fistula forming or something. I made an appointment for 6 days from today to see my CSR to ask about it. It is also sore in that area and I get a scratchy and pulling sensation there, when I move.

Well, today I decided to inspect this thing, because it was bothering me. I touched it, and it felt like wire. It's a suture knot, and it is very scratchy. I freaked out!

My CSR told me she put 2 sutures in, and she told me they would dissolve on their own. Well.... the suture I feel is not dissolvable. It is solid metal.

I called and the nurse told me to pad it and keep it from scratching, and wait till Monday (Today is Friday) and call her on Monday to see if they can see me sooner. Thats 2 days of living with this thing.

I am very worried. Does anyone know what to do?

I can see one, but I know there is another one somewhere in there as well, that I can't see. I'm worried that this will cause a problem - infection, fistula, poor healing, nerve pain..

Should I try to remove it myself?

Please anyone with advice, or experience, or ideas... Thanks so much.
:groan:
Misty789
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: suture knot sticking out of the incision site

Postby WittyJokeAboutMyButt » 06 Jan 2017, 21:49

Oh, I can maybe help! I ended up with what is called a stitch abscess after my LIS. The end of one of the "dissolvable" stitches poked out and caused pain. I was also inflamed around the stitch. My surgeon ended up pulling it out and I was completely better two days later. Ask yours to pull it out. I would not try to pull it out on my own--you do not want to rip anything. In the meantime, if you are really worried about infection you can always ask for some antibiotics now so it does not get worse. I took a z-pack for mine.
WittyJokeAboutMyButt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Savaici » 06 Jan 2017, 21:52

Do not try to remove it yourself; think that would be a bad idea. It has been there for four weeks, so try to just wait until Monday. Sorry can't offer more help to you than that. Just do everything you can to relax until you can get in to see someone Monday. Soak in a Sitz bath as often as you can. Probably a pad might help, but stay as still as you can until you can see someone. Wittyjoke has given good advice too :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Misty789 » 12 Jan 2017, 21:54

Thanks guys, The stitch fell off by itself during a bm two days later :) Thought I'd post the result for posterity. I did not go to the doctor on Monday, but kept my regular appointment on Wed. My CSR said it all looked fine down there.
Misty789
Salt Bather

Topics: 4