Hello AFSF! LIS veteran here! ;)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Hello AFSF! LIS veteran here! ;)

Postby Jen » 26 Dec 2009, 17:24

Hi board members! Image
I just wanted to drop by and give you an update on myself. Things have been going very well for me. I think about all my old AFSF buddies often. I am sorry I don't keep in touch much, but I am so busy working and taking care of my 3 year old. I am not on the internet a whole lot anymore. Image
For those of you that don't know me, I suffered with my fissure for a total of 2 years and 1 month. I developed my fissure and hemmies from a bout of constipation after childbirth and had painful craps for 2 years after that. I was misdiagnosed for a whole year with hemmies (which I did have as well - but my fissure is what was painful). After 2 CRS's, 3 hemmie bandings, nifedipine, and nitro, I finally had LIS on Aug 22, 2008 - 18 months after my fissure problem started. LIS was not an instant cure for me. I continued to have bleeding, some spasming, and pain after LIS. However, my pain and bleeding occured less and less after LIS and finally stopped in Febuary 2009. I started taking Benefiber after LIS and I took it everyday for over a year. I stopped taking it last month and I have had no problems what so ever. I eat whatever I want and drink whatever I want. My New Years resolution is actually to start taking my Benefiber on a daily basis again. I have a tough time remembering to take my vitamins & fiber. I don't think I need the Benefiber, I just think I should take it for the rest of my life as a prophylaxis treatment since my bum will more than likely always be compromised. I also take miralax once or twice a month if I go more than 24 hours without a BM. My success is due to being regular. As long as I stay regular I can eat whatever I please.
I hope my story is a comfort to those who had LIS and did not have an instant cure. Not all of us heal at the same rate. I think I took so long because of scar tissue that built up for 2 years!
I have alot of expirience with the treatments I mentioned above, so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!
I am not going to lie - I still get nervous about poops - They probably will never be any fun again. Nothing will ever get the anxiety to go away completely - But things get better as time goes on.
AFSF Buddies rule! Image
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: Hello AFSF! LIS veteran here! ;)

Postby Corsi » 28 Dec 2009, 08:02

Jen wrote: I am not going to lie - I still get nervous about poops - They probably will never be any fun again. Nothing will ever get the anxiety to go away completely - But things get better as time goes on.

I think that sums it up for all of us, and as you say we are compromised down south - maybe forever.
So nice to hear from you Jen, so few of us old boardies are here now...we are busy living our lives and trying to stay healed or semi healed :)
Image Image Corsi
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Jen » 28 Dec 2009, 10:26

Corsi! My good old buddy! How have you been doing? Well I hope! I am glad that not alot of old boardies are on here anymore - That means they are healed! Image
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Dec 2009, 15:57

Hey Jen and Corsi!!
Let's hope the "current crop" of sufferers find healing in 2010!
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Dec 2009, 03:30

Hey Jen Image Image Image Nice to hear from you : ))) !!!!
So happy to hear you are doing great (KTW!!!!!)
Are you working as a nurse now Image ???
Hope everything absolutely "fantastical" on your side Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Jen » 30 Dec 2009, 15:03

Hi Fissy & Hugh ( Image )!!!!
How have you guys been doing? Good, I hope??? I hope everyone's butt is behaving. has anyone heard from Lecia??? I hope she is better! No news seems to be good news around here.
Yes - lets hope 2010 brings healing to all, fissures and other health issues.
I am working as a nurse now. I am a pre op/PACU nurse and I feel very lucky to have a job in this economy as so many of my classmates do not. They said if I am still there in a few more months they will train me into the OR, which I am totally excited about!
Image Image Image Image Image
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Corsi » 30 Dec 2009, 15:08

Jen wrote:Corsi! My good old buddy! How have you been doing? Well I hope! I am glad that not alot of old boardies are on here anymore - That means they are healed! Image

Yes, let's hope they are healed :) I am better than before surgery, but things are not "perfect". I cannot eat what I want or be as active as I want... I think the Miralax have f Image up things a bit for me too. Maybe I just have to accept things will stay like this...
How is your son doing? and you? Still studying, or working?
Image Corsi
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Jen » 30 Dec 2009, 15:21

Corsi -
Oh no! How do you think the miralax messed you up? I am glad you are better than before LIS. Do you have any spasms - Does the doctor think you need another LIS? Are you still taking the miralax? Do you take it daily?
I am just busy working! I finally graduated in August. My son turns 3 next week and we will try for baby number two after the new year. I just hope my butt issues don't return in the process. I have been pain, blood, and spasm free for 11 months.
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Dec 2009, 15:40

Oh, Jen, I hope you get the OR position! Just show 'em your stuff and I am sure it will be a cinch!
Hugh Image
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 30 Dec 2009, 17:08

Jen,
Hope you get the OR position! My son is 1/2 way through his third year of pharm school and just started a new job working for Walgreen's!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46