Throwing in the towel!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Throwing in the towel!!!

Postby Fissulyna » 18 Aug 2008, 15:38

Oh dear Chris - you and me definitely have sphincters from some other planet Image !!! I sometimes wish I can take it out and "tenderize" it with a mallet and put it back ! My ass is so tight that last CRS even let out funny noise when he felt it - I did not know should I laugh or cry on that table LOL.
Do you still use creams ??? Maybe I should too. I use it for couple of days when it is really bad, and when it gets better I stop - I am afraid of developing sensitivity or become tolerant to them Image !!!???
I hate that my fissure was completely closed and that I opened it up becoming overly confident and too eager to get over all of it : (. I mean, I did nothing stupid, but did take Metamucill 2 times a day instead of 3, and was not that vigilant about water, and did start drinking coffee occasionally and glass of vine here and there Image Oh well, maybe it would happen anyway , right ? What is - is - we have to move forward :roll:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Jen » 18 Aug 2008, 17:12

BG - What do you mean by the muscle not healing, but it can strengthen again - is that the same thing???? I am just trying to understand what is going to happen to my booty on Friday!
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby buttgirl » 18 Aug 2008, 17:23

Hey Jen,
Don't cave. When I say 85%, I mean that I am consistently at 85% or better. i am pretty sure the cut is healed (i had a huge one 1 inch by 1/4 inch; looked like there was a hole there) but the scar area is still sore sometimes. I also mean that there is a difference between feeling better and getting better. Even when i had the huge hole, there would be spurts without pain, say for a week at a time where I would feel normal. Then I would have a relapse of the pain. Now is different. I can tell there has been healing and the pain itself has changed. So when i say 85% that is overall and it is taking into account the actual healing that has gone on.
when i say muscle not healing, the muscle is a circular muscle and once you cut muscle fibers and separate them , they can not reattach themselves. Just like when you tear a muscle, the fibers can not reattach themselves. Imagine one of those thick rubberbands like the ones that come around brocolli. Now cut 1/4 of the width of that rubberband. It will still hold, but it will not be as springy or strong overall. That is the theory behind LIS.
Now imagine that the rubberband is a muscle and, as a muscle, it can get stronger despite the cut that is what has happened to me and Fiss, though I don't think my newly strengthened muscle is as strong as the original version. Basically, LIS is a just controlled muscle tear. It doesn't impair the quality of your muscles--you can still be a body builder with a muscle tear. Still, the overall effect is less tension in the area and thus more blood flow.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby juney » 18 Aug 2008, 20:32

i dont understand what kind of "cut" you could see chris. the only time i saw a "hole" after either of my LIS surgeries was when i had my skin tag removed. what kind of cut or hole are you talking about, and how did you know the size of it?
i'm glad you're doing better!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Jen » 18 Aug 2008, 22:07

Juney -
Do you think your fistula/infection came from your skin tag removal or your fissure itself? How are you feeling? Better I hope!
Jen
King Fissure

Postby val » 19 Aug 2008, 07:31

Image Fissy, I've just cried with laughter at your description of taking the muscle out and bashing it with a mallet. Every time I think of it, I burst out laughing. My family are giving me very strange looks!! I feel the same way, I think mine has toughened up again, it doesnt feel as loose as when it was first done, and it feels better once I put the nitro on, so I reckon I could be in for another LIS some time in the future. I can feel little cramps in it too, certainly nothing like before, but still damn well there nonetheless!! Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby juney » 19 Aug 2008, 08:38

jen, i'm positive total healing never occurred because of the skin tag removal. the skin tag wound never filled in completely, rather healed kind of over the top and left a small hole on the outside. i'm pretty sure my fissure runs right into that hole, that's where all the mucus i've seen comes from. if i could do it again i'd tell that damn general surgeon to LEAVE THE SKIN TAG ALONE!!! i'm so angry at him, he never warned me of complications AT ALL.
i don't have any infection now and never have...if i did i probably wouldn't have been able to function the past year! LOL last time he looked, the dr saw a deep-to-the-muscle fissure, which is so ulcerated and deep that it looks like the beginning of a fistula. he pulled the probe out and showed me it was covered in blood, that's how deep it is inside. unlike a fistula though, i have no outside entrance, no pimple-like wound.
i feel the same as i always have. it's raw, uncomfortable and sore all the time. it's more my mental state that changes day to day. luckily yesterday was a good mental day...hoping today will be too! :)
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Jen » 19 Aug 2008, 08:52

Juney -
Thanks for the description of your fissure. I think that why alot of CRS don't remove them. My first one said she absolutley would not remove them and my new CRS has no issures with removing them - he said people get them removed all the time with no issues.
It does saound like you have a half fistula and half fissure - and it sounds painful sweetie! I just know this next operation will work. It has to - it will clean eveything out.
I know you said you never had any spasms. I think I have real minor ones and the doctor says I do. Even without the spasms, did you feel looser after LIS?? Both times??? Did yo notice ANY healing with either of them?
BG - I can totally tell your a teacher (I THINK you are). That is the best way I have ever hear of anyone describe LIS. Thanks!
Everyone - I am starting for have second thoughts. I had a larger BM this morning and I feel fine. I have been on the nitro for 5 months and I had one set back 3 weeks ago. Should I really go though with this? I guess the doc really thought I would be healed right now without LIS. In your opions, am I doing the right thing? Has anyone ever heard of the LIS cut getting infected??? Did anyone have a really hard time holding gas in? I don't want to pass gas my whole life - how embarrassing would that be?? Sorry guys - I am starting to make excusses because I am getting so nervous!
Jen
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 19 Aug 2008, 10:10

Jen,
Cute pic! You remind me so much of myself!! Always second guessing myself wondering if I am doing the right thing. Not criticizing you, I just see how I am. I am here at Mayos and everything is going well. Just had the manometry test and will get the results of it soon. I'll pray that you have peace of mind and can make the correct decision for yourself. I doubt that anything bad could happen with postponing surgery, but I don't know. Guess you have to trust what your doc says or get another opinion.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Jen » 19 Aug 2008, 11:20

Cheryl -
Yes we are the same - constantly guessing ourselves. I have always been this way, and if you combine it with my type A personality - you can only imagine the stress I am putting myself under right now.
I am so excited to hear about your results and I have been thinking about you! Make it safe home and we will be waiting to hear all about it. By then, Lecia & Fiss have there Thursday appointments so hopefully everyone will have some good answers.
Jen
Jen
King Fissure