Throwing in the towel!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Throwing in the towel!!!

Postby Jen » 01 Aug 2008, 18:28

Hi gang Image !
I hope everyone is doing well. I know quite of few of my buddies were having important appointments while I was gone. I need to catch up on my reading still, and find out how everything went. I hope all is well!
I just got back from vacation and decided to get off my nitro because I have been on it for 4 months and never felt better. I had an appointment today with my CRS so I could find out what this mystery blue/white/silver scar of mine was. I almost canceled the appointment yesterday because I feel so good and the line has never bothered me. This morning, prior to my appointment, after 4 months of painless wonderful BM's, my fissure ripped open with my BM. There was no blood. Just pain. I felt it tare as the stool passed. I looked in a mirror and sure enough, I saw it. It was oozing clear fluid (like any cut would). The exam hurt at the CRS office. He saw the retare and wants me to get LIS.
The same thing happened to me when I was on the nifedipine for 2 months. I had a retare with in 2 days of getting off it. With the nitro, I was on it for 4 months and retore 2 days after stopping it. I guess I would need to use the cream for the rest of my life to have any success with it.
I have a few questions for the LISers -
1. How long to recover well enough to go back to school?
2. How long did you bleed post surgery?
3. Have you retore?
4. How long before you could workout?
5. Are you glad you did it?
6. Did you have spasms prior to LIS?
I am concerned because I do not have painful spasms like the rest of you. I have a feeling that I can decsribe as "tension", but not pain. This feeling happens buring BM's and sometimes periodically after a BM. When the doctor did a digital exam, he said he felt horrible spasms in my sphincter. I asked how that was possible because I did not feel them. He said some people don't have painful spasms. Have you all ever heard of such a thing? Do you think this "tension" feeling is spasms?
How come after 18 months of fissure pain am I still doubting LIS??? I am really nervous because this is my last resort and I know it has not worked well for some of you. My CRS says he does 4 surgery's a week and had never had a case of incontinence. Also, he has only had one person who had to get 2 LIS done. I really like and trust him. I am also scared because I don't have pain on a daily basis like the rest of you. I live painless and my fissure acts up every now and again. Most people who have LIS, are in horrific pain, and then there is me - WHAT SHOULD I DO?????
By the way, the blue line that I was originally worried about is no more than a superficial vein - not a hemmie. Whatever the difference between the two. My CRS kneew exactly what line I was referring to.
I need help, advise, and hugs buddies! I am so scared!
Love,
Jen
:prayforme:
Last edited by Anonymous on 01 Aug 2008, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: Throwing in the towel!!!

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Aug 2008, 19:19

BIG HUG BUDDY Image Image Image Image -don't be scared
of LIS , dear Jen, really - I felt so much better after it , I thought I was dreaming. I would go for second one in a blink of an eye. Unfortunately, I have to convince my CRSs that I still have a fissure and need one Image Image . If your CRS felt tightness - it is there - no way around it. You are just lucky not to feel it (jalousie here Image ). Your CRS was impressive with all other things he did and tried for you - I would trust him completely. Also, if you did not have spasms, than Nitro would not help - wouldn't it ??? You healed because it kept you relaxed, and as soon you went off it you re-tore.
Yes, I am not the best example for 100% success, but it is 70 % better than before the LIS so I am more than glad I had it !!!! Recovery was a breeze - if I worked I would need 2-3 weeks to be 100 % ready to go back - not so much because of the pain that was minimal , but just to get in sync with body rhythm and stuff. My bleeding stopped in 2 days , some minimal pinky discharge for 2 weeks since I had fissurectomy too.
LIS is not a big deal, absolutely not! My labor was MUCH worse experience
than 10 LISes .
Hope I helped and I am so sorry Jen - it sucks big deal - you know that we understand your every thought and every fear and every disappointment Image !!!! You will do just great, buddy - even we that are still in pain will get over this soon - you will see !!!!
XOXOOOOOoooo...
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Aug 2008, 19:19

One more hug Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Aug 2008, 19:28

Hi Jen,
Wow, you sure have been up and down! I hope and pray that if you do get the surgery, it mends you like it did me.
I have a few questions for the LISers -
1. How long to recover well enough to go back to school?
I needed a week and a half and still didn't feel very strong. My CRS told me 2-3 weeks, but wow, I have seen quite a few just keep right on going, almost! But give yourself as much time as you can!
2. How long did you bleed post surgery? The bleeding, when I had it, tapered off quickly for me, almost exponentially. If I pass a large hard stool even now, i might see a little dab. So what, I guess I need to stay on this diet forever!
3. Have you retore? I never did.

4. How long before you could workout?
Ha ha. What's that?
5. Are you glad you did it? I am so grateful!
6. Did you have spasms prior to LIS? They are the reason I had the surgery. Mine were horrible and lasted for hours.
Good luck with it, you deserve to see an end to the monster! Image
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 01 Aug 2008, 19:56

Hey Jen,
It does seem like the spasms you are having (though not painful) seem to be hampering your healing since as soon as you get off any of the creams you get a fissure again. It makes sense to get LIS if you have to continously use the creams to prevent fissures. The LIS surgery from what others have shared here does seem to be quite effective-maybe not 100% but there is no reason to think you that yours won't be textbook.

How disappointing, I know! I am sorry that you have had this setback but maybe it is time to bring out the big guns. I am glad you have a nice vacation-cute picture there! I am glad you don't have a hemmie. How soon do you have to decide? Can you take a medical leave of absence from school? You are going to beat this thing.

Postby cherylk » 01 Aug 2008, 20:22

Jen,
I have been having some probs recently too if it is any consolation (and still using my cream). How frustrating for you!! If you are fearful of the LIS, could you possibly try Botox instead? Just a suggestion as you seem worried about the surgery (I don't know that Botox would be a better option, but it would be a different option for you). I'll pray for you tonight that you get some calming mental relief about your situation. Cute pic!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 01 Aug 2008, 21:55

Hi all!!
Just dropped in to see how folks are fairing. Jen i urge you to go ahead and have the LIS I had it last May 5-2-07 and have been overwhelmingly happy with the results. I have not had painful episodes like i did for years prior to the surgery. (I always thought it was hemmoroid flare ups, Now I know that it was largely fissure flare ups.) I was back to work in about 1.5 weeks full time and was putting in some hours within a few days. It was the best decision for me and I have had no pain like the pre surgery pain since. I will occasionally get the "itchies" and have even had some pink on the tissue from time to time I have had NO PAIN!!!
Good Luck and God Bless You!!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Aug 2008, 22:09

MB, I actually thought of you as one of the sucessful outcomes as I posted to Jen's thread. !!! :snn:
Deleted User 5

Postby Jen » 01 Aug 2008, 22:29

Hi guys!

Thanks for responding! I just looked in the mirror at my fissure before I put on the nitro, and it is ugly! I just can not believe this happened after 4 months! Image What the hell??? I can not believe this thing is not bleeding! It is deep! I asked my CRS about my fissure not having a skin tag. He said my fissure is just like a deep papercut with no tag. I really think my fissure is so weird. It has no tag, no spasms (just tension - maybe that is the same thing - who knows), and I can see it just but spreding the tissue down in my anal area. These are all reasons why I am afraid of LIS! My fissure is weird and to me is not a "traditional" fissure - how can it heal by normal means? What do you all think???? Didn't a few of you have nonbleeding painful fissures as well???

Although my CRS does do botox, he recomended LIS for me. He said after 18 months (he started treating me when it was a year old), LIS was really the only thing that is going to cure this puppy. He said after the surgery, most of his patients wonder why they did not do it sooner. Besides, I am DONE with this garbage and I want the LIS now. I can not wait until next week when I can schedule my surgery date.

I plan on taking 1 week off school. My school has a very strict attendence policy. If I have to repeat the semester, than so be it. I want to be healed. My CRS said at my age & health - he thinks it will only take 4-5 days for me to recover, but everyone is different.

Oh yeah - one more question - did LIS make your anus feel bigger? I know this is a weird question, but mine feels so darn small when I have a BM.

I took MOM tonight. I am not looking forward my morning BM:poop: . Things are sore down there! Image It is going to be painful.

Thanks again guys! I have been a basket case and I have been crying all day! Image
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 02 Aug 2008, 04:57

Dear Jen
Welcome back we have missed you :)
I was so saddened to read your news this morning :( Why do these things happens just before our appointments!!Image
I really do know how you feel I was gutted you all know that…
I went almost 5 months with no problems, stopped the cream and BANG !!!
We both have had our fissures for a very long time, throwing in the towel is our next step to getting rid of this condition once and for all, you have all the right answers from your CRS who you trust…. I think you are doing the right thing, the plus is you don’t have tags atleast you will not have any wounds to deal with apart from the LIS,
Don’t be scared Jen, it gets to the point where you will feel almost excited to have this done the positives outweigh the negatives right ?
When my fissure retore, at first I didn’t have any blood to which I thought great the area is strengthening altast, but once again I was fooled , the blood came part and parcel a few days after :(
Can you use your nitro before things get back to square one?
Do all you can so that full on pain doesn’t return
I am sorry Jen
Sending you one very big hug
x