Tips to stop itching

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Tips to stop itching

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 27 May 2013, 20:55

Hi guys,
My bum has been itching me like crazy (crazy!). It gets worse when I go for a walk or do any activity... It feels like sandpaper, and sometimes tbe itching brings on spasms (maybe because I tense up?). I think the balmy weather is making it worse. Do you have any tips for me to help with the itching? I'm shooting a wedding this Friday for 7+ hours in what is expected to be 90 degree heat. I'm very nervous! What's gonna get me through it?
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Tips to stop itching

Postby Kreaybutt » 27 May 2013, 21:06

During physical activity or itchy (hot days) my doc advised too get a cotton ball and kind of spread it apart a little and put it on you're "area." It will keep it dry and absorb any sweat
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby Guest » 28 May 2013, 05:35

Itchiness can be due to a healing fissure or a developing hemorrhoid. However, sitz bath in epsom salt for 10 minutes helps both. It should be done immediately after a BM. Please remember to wash off the salt afterwards, because salt tends to dry the skin.
Once thoroughly dry, an application of A&D ointment (not the cream) will help to seal the area. Ointment acts as a barrier and stays for a long time, while cream gets absorbed by the skin. A&D ointment is used for diaper rash. It acts as a barrier between the baby's skin and the elimination. In your case, it will help to seal out wetness or sweat. Plus, it has all the healing ingredients to soothe the skin.
You may have to clean (by dabbing a wet and warm toilet paper) and apply a fresh coat just before your event. Keep changing the panty liner, because it stains a lot.
I hope this helps.

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 28 May 2013, 12:19

Thanks guys! Mabs: have you also tried Vaseline? That's what I've used in the past. How does the A&D differ feeling-wise? Is it better because of the healing ingredients you mentioned?
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby levelworm » 28 May 2013, 20:21

I've tried Preparation-H and baby swipes but they are useless. You may wanna try though. Currently it usually itches for 15 mins after a BM and the shower following it. It also itches for 15mins during the night and sometimes it itches during sleep, but not every night. Not sure if you got my type of itching.
levelworm
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby suzyljank » 28 May 2013, 21:12

Hi, don't use soap on your butt, it dries it out. Coconut oil is great for itching. I'm still healing from flap surgery and have that discharge that can drive you crazy I'm not allowed to use the coconut oil yet. I keep putting clean gauze there to keep the area dry but when I really can't stand it I sit in a warm bath, blow dry and my doctor gave me some ointment. I think it's analpram. I can only use it twice a day but I haven't used it much at all but it does help.
If you continue to itch it could be a yeast infection, just buy the same ointment you use for a vaginal yeast infection and apply it to the outside of your butt, it works too. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 28 May 2013, 21:13

I'm not sure... It seems like I'm itching 60% of the day. It's a bit like torture. I'd like to think I'm healing, but sometimes the itching leads to spasms (post-LIS I still get zingers, but nothing like I used to). I read somewhere that itching is indicative of pain (it's how the body sometimes interprets pain). I haven't tried A&D ointment or wedging a cotton ball down yonder. I've tried witch hazel, prep H, hemorrhoidal cooling gel, Tucks, wipes, corn starch/baby powder. They haven't helped yet. It's like I've had the chicken pox on my bum for three months. Someone get me outta here!
Suzy: your reply came through just as I was sending this. I've got to try your suggestions! Thank you!!! How are you feeling?
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 28 May 2013, 21:23

I'm getting better. A big stitch fell out today but they warned me they would. I'm still sore but healing. I can finally sit. I have to get in just the right position but I can do it. I'm trying to figure out just how much miralax I need. I take a regular dose at bed and a teaspoon in the afternoon. That's half what I used I take. I still get nervous when I have to have a BM though, I wonder if that will ever go away. I hope you find something to stop your itching, it's maddening. We're having severe weather tonight and that makes me so nervous. I just hope my IBS doesn't kick in. Take care Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby suzyljank » 28 May 2013, 21:27

Oh one more thing have you ever tried monistat chafing relief powder-gel? It goes on like a gel but dries quickly and it keeps your skin from getting raw. I love it, it helps with the itch too. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby saintkilledher » 28 May 2013, 22:02

i used canesten anti fungal cream and it stoped my itching i had for 3 years
saintkilledher
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16