Healing "naturally"...how long to wait it out??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Healing "naturally"...how long to wait it out??

Postby Canadabum » 13 Nov 2015, 16:49

felix -- your attitude is incredible...good for you and thank you for reminding me how much a good disposition can do for one's healing and mental health!! I really needed that reminder.

Thanks,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby suzyljank » 13 Nov 2015, 17:24

I had hem. surgery years ago and they took too much tissue. This left a lot of scar tissue that's why I was getting fissures. The fissures themselves were adding to the scar tissue every time they would tear and heal. Sometimes flaps are done when LIS isn't possible. I've had both. My flaps were done because I had severe stenosis. I knew 6 weeks in that LIS didn't work because even though I healed nicely I kept retearing. Scar tissue doesn't stretch.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Hafzaal » 14 Nov 2015, 11:34

@Canadabum

Your symptoms seem familiar to what I was facing. No blood during BM? No pain as such really except for the intermittent burning sensation for 15-20 minutes? I used FissureHeal suppositories and they healed me within a week to the point that I was feeling 100% normal. The time may vary depending on your specific condition.

Unfortunately, I got too excited and ignored my diet so I have a flare up again but not a teat since there is still no blood and no cramping. Just that occasional burning again. The doctor told me to be very careful for the next 2-3 months when I healed since he said the skin has to fully heal and gain its strength back. I'm gonna go back on the suppositories now and I'm thinking of completely eliminating meat from my diet for a month. It will be very difficult for me since I'm someone who has been lifting weights for years and I love my meat (protein) but I need to do this. Hopefully this should allow it to heal fully. *fingers crossed*
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby jay1975 » 14 Nov 2015, 17:36

It took me 8 months before I began seeing improvement. I'm now 95% healed. I expect the last 5% to take another 8 months. I'm in for the long term and I won't consider surgery unless the pain was completely unmanageable.
jay1975
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Hafzaal » 14 Nov 2015, 18:34

jay1975 wrote:It took me 8 months before I began seeing improvement. I'm now 95% healed. I expect the last 5% to take another 8 months. I'm in for the long term and I won't consider surgery unless the pain was completely unmanageable.

8 months waiting for it to heal naturally without any creams etc?

Do you get the occasional flare ups or has it been a constant and gradual road to recovery without any setbacks?
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Postby jay1975 » 14 Nov 2015, 19:06

Hafzaal wrote:Do you get the occasional flare ups or has it been a constant and gradual road to recovery without any setbacks?

My initial flare up was last February. It continued, getting to its worst in July. I did the normal things: high fibre, more water, etc, but it wasn't really healing. I saw my doctor in June, referral for a sigmoidoscopy in July:
my-sigmoidoscopy-experience-t9807.html#p117306

The nurse that performed the sigmoidoscopy was very knowledgable (unlike my doctor, who was completely useless). She advised taking fibre gummies, which I did, and this is when I started seeing improvement.

By September I was seeing significant healing. By October the pain level was very low, and this is basically where I am now.

I'll have days where there's absolutely no pain at all, and some days with very minimal pain. I don't have pain during a BM. It will usually hit me about 2 hours afterwards and last for another few hours.

...here's my original report from when I started getting better.
post118405.html#p118405
jay1975
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Hafzaal » 14 Nov 2015, 19:14

Were you at any point told to avoid eating meat?
I was fully healed and then one bad BM brought about a flare up. No pain really but I tend to feel that burning sensation occasionally for around 10 min every now and then which goes away after a couple of hours of the BM. So thats why in thinking now to just give up meat for a month to let things strengthen down there.
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Postby Canadabum » 14 Nov 2015, 21:02

Great discussion...I would love to hear how you are doing going forward.

My setbacks include a little blood and then greater discomfort for 3-7 days. I am taking a half dose of miralax a day..plan on doing this for at least 8 months. I have constant low level awareness or discomfort...do you, any blood at all? I have no spasms at this time. I find that miralax allows me to eat whatever I want.

The last 5-10% seems really difficult to conquer....I've been dealing with this for just over a year and feel like I have plateaued for the past 3-4 months.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions welcome.
All best - Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby Canadabum » 14 Nov 2015, 21:04

Oh yah...one more thing. What are fissure heal suppositories and are you taking them now? If not, why not?
Canadabum

Postby Canadabum » 14 Nov 2015, 21:05

Jay...you still taking the gummies...what do they do for you. What else is in your regimen?
Canadabum