Stitches hurting?!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Stitches hurting?!

Postby Reds108 » 17 Nov 2015, 04:28

Hey everyone,

I'm a 28 year old female and after dealing with fissures for 3 years after an initial bout of food poisoning I finally went ahead and had surgery. They did a sphincterotomy and fissurectomy. Day 1 was pure Hell. I instantly regretted surgery and wondered what I had gotten myself into. Day 2 was more of the same. I alternated oxycodone and ibuprophen every few hours and slept as much as possible... (Was up all night on night 1).
Day 3 I had my first BM and while it was very painful I got in the bathtub afterwards and pain passed much faster than before my surgery. I was so happy. the pain altogether had seemed to start letting up and I could walk around some and even sit up to a point for a little while.
Well then as I was getting ready for bed I started getting more and more uncomfortable. It now feels as though maybe the stitches are pinching/poking/prodding. It started out as slight discomfort and is now full out pain. It's now the next morning and I was so uncomfortable I had trouble sleeping again. I took more ibuprofen but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal... To start to feel better than go sort of backwards? I'm worried about possible infection. It's only day 4 at this point but still... I don't want to go backwards. I'm so nervous and my doctor has been less than helpful since surgery. He basically did the surgery and then blew me off.
Please help!
Reds108
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Stitches hurting?!

Postby Savaici » 17 Nov 2015, 05:53

Hello and :wel: to the forum. Sorry you're in pain. I have not had surgery for a fissure but I know it can be wretched. Here below is a link to posts on the forum for others who have had stitches, so hope this will help to reassure you a little. Stitches anywhere hurt, and with the sensitivity of the anus and all its nerves, its even more so. Have I worked out that you are on day four?

If the doctor is less than cooperative (surprise surprise) ask for your records so you can see exactly what was done (if you're in the US you should get them fairly quickly).

Also have a look through the Anal Fissure Success Stories on here to give yourself a little lift!

Here's the link: search.php?keywords=Stitches&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby msimon » 21 Nov 2015, 03:44

How are you doing Reds?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Reds108 » 21 Nov 2015, 09:44

Hi guys, I'm on day 8 now and still having significant pain with & after BM's as well as just pinching & general soreness at other times. My dr. Said things seem to be ok, so I just keep hanging in there and praying for a pain free day.
Reds108
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby msimon » 21 Nov 2015, 13:09

Hope things get better for you real soon. Time-wise, you should be just about to turn that corner, I would think :)
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?