Still so much blood 5 weeks after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Still so much blood 5 weeks after LIS

Postby kybalion » 28 May 2016, 00:19

I had LIS surgery for a chronic anal fissure that had me in extreme pain for about six months. The surgery was a success in that there was an immediate relief of pain following the surgery. No more spasms, and only minor pain during BMs.

Another symptom hasn't improved though. I was losing a lot of blood to the toilet due to my fissure. I eat a lot of iron rich foods and blood tests showed I was still anemic from blood loss.

Five weeks on and honestly I feel like my fissure may even be worse in terms of blood loss. Enough that there have been times that I have noticed blood in the toilet from my fissure just after sitting to pee.

At the same time, it isn't 100% certainty. Sometimes I have a full bowel movement and there is no blood at all. But then this was also the case before surgery.

Is this normal? My next post-op appt is a month from now.
kybalion

Topics: 1

Re: Still so much blood 5 weeks after LIS

Postby pinpin » 31 May 2016, 07:25

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry you still experience some after surgery complications. I would recommend you talk and perhaps request folic acid from your GP to improve iron levels.

Bleeding is normal after surgery, but it should with time, can you call a doctor before your appointment?
It might be hemmies also bleed, important that you don't experience spasms anymore
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby FissureFighter80 » 02 Jun 2016, 15:56

I am guessing that your LIS cut might be deep/big and that's why you are still seeing blood. Definitely worth having a chat with your doctor about this. If you can then try sending his assistant an email about this. Maybe you will get a response.

As pinpin said as long as you don't have those horrendous spasms healing will happen sooner or later.

All the best :)
FissureFighter80
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby kybalion » 04 Jun 2016, 01:46

The blood isn't coming from the surgical incision, that has healed.
kybalion

Topics: 1