8 days Post op Things have gone south

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

8 days Post op Things have gone south

Postby Guest » 20 Mar 2008, 17:31

As my earlier post suggests the first 4 days were great. Unfortunately Monday evening I started feeling bad. Besides bleeding and itching I was having some pain (not too bad), swelling in the area and some discharge. Finally got to see the doc today and he confirmed my fears. I have an infection. The strange thing is that its neither coming from the LIS or skintag incision, its coming from the fissure itself. Doctor was very surprised as everything was fine before the procedure. No explanation for why all of sudden the fissure became infected. The good news is that it hasn't become a fistula yet. No track visible. Doc gave me antibiotics. Hopefully that will clear things up. If not then it will most likely progress to a fistula and I will have to go in for another procedure. Lovely!
Wish me luck! Just want everyone to know that I'd still recommend LIS to anyone who is suffering and has tried every other option. Its unfortunate that I got an infection but if it wasn't for the infection I'd be sitting pretty.
Thank you all for your support!

Re: 8 days Post op Things have gone south

Postby small_flower » 20 Mar 2008, 17:52

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a rough time! That really sucks. I was concerned about having a fistula after my surgery too. The doctor thought I might have had one, and said that we had to keep an eye on it. Sometimes I still wonder.
Well...all I can say is, take your antibiotics and take a lot of acidophilus (because those antibiotics are going to kill off all the good flora in your immune system!) get lots of rest, keep everything soft and just take it easy. Hope for the best!
xo
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Fissulyna » 20 Mar 2008, 18:00

Oh, what a bummer : ((( !!!! But it is good that you discovered it so soon - I am sure antibiotic will clear it pretty fast !
It could be that edges of the fissure overlapped when started closing and left space beneath that was ideal for bacteria proliferation. My CRS did fissurectomy to avoid that possibility which made me mad at first, but now I ma glad he did it ...
All the best !!! Get well FAST !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby happyass » 20 Mar 2008, 20:11

hey bum,
keep your hopes up high.
to keep you company, i am dealing with a full blown lymphatic inflammation and infection in my whole right arm because a hang nail on my right pointer finger. i have this ugly looking red bump that is waiting to come through the skin and release whatever is in there. i am taking antibiotics too and today i got a special cream from the dermatologist for the nail itself.
infections suck my a$$.
you're going to pull through.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 21 Mar 2008, 05:23

Get better soon.....you were doing so well too!
Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in quickly and you'll be back to healing well :)
Kare, I love your avatar :)

Postby Guest » 21 Mar 2008, 11:12

I'm sorry to hear that.  I guess we are all in good company then.  I went to Wake Forest for a consult as to why I am not healing after my hemorrhoid surgery and it looks like I have an abcess!  So I am on antibiotics too to see if we can get rid of this thing.  
Happy healing to you all and don't get discouraged!
I go back next week for a recheck and to discuss a possible anal flap procedure as I have a non healing post surgical fissure.  But hopefully the antibiotics will get me over that hump.
Hang in there!!!

Postby buttgirl » 21 Mar 2008, 12:13

Hi BI,
that sucks. did your dr do a wound culture? what kind of antibiotics are you taking?
I'm glad your dr was onthe ball and got you the antibiotics quickly. Two years ago my drs wouldn't believe I had an infection and that's what started the whole chronicity thing.
take care, stay on those antibiotics and you'll be fine. My dr dosed me with cefalosporin while I was inthe hospital.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby happyass » 22 Mar 2008, 03:32

ahhh.....i guess the easter bunny brought us all antibiotics this year!
hehehehehe......
i just discovered that this intense itch and irritation on my left lower eye lid is from a stye thingy. i just finally saw it this morning because as soon as i woke up it just felt like an eye lash was digging in there or something and viola, i finally saw the little yellowish head on the eye part where most ladies apply their eye liner on (so that wouldn't be the eye lid right?)
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby val » 22 Mar 2008, 14:31

BI - how awful you've got to go through that after surgery, hopefully the antibiotics will clear it up without the need for another op.
Lecia, oh my God, you poor thing! At least they're treating it now though and you know why its not healing properly. I hope the antibiotics get rid of it for you. Good luck with your check up.
Happy, I hope that you feel better soon, you have suffered a lot!
Get well soon all of you!
xx
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 23 Mar 2008, 13:20

Thanks guys! Hopefully the antibiotics take of things and I can move on to healing. I go back to my CSR in 7 days. Will keep you updated!