Third surgery...any similar? Losing faith.

Fistula/fissure surgeries

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Third surgery...any similar? Losing faith.

Postby Holdingontohope » 16 May 2017, 10:21

Hey everyone! I am new to the forum but I've been following closely for a while now. I'm looking for others that I've shared similar stories that could help me feel a little bit more normal or give me hope that there's a chance of completely healing from all these issues. I'm essentially looking for any recommendations or suggestions before I book my next surgery.
A little bit about me my history...
I am a 36-year-old mother of one and would love to have another child but these issues have caused a delay in our family planning. In 2000 when I started working as a police dispatcher and then after a few years became a police officer. The job entailed a lot of stress in and I noticed I had a lot of constipation issues and was never Very regular to begin with. Fiber never worked for me as it created a larger stool which made it harder for me to pass and laxatives or over-the-counter laxatives were one of the only things that really help me go. So in 2004 I had a Hemorrhoidectomy due to a rectal prolapse. Fast-forward to last year April 2015, I was diagnosed with an anal fissure after experiencing probably the worst pain in my life, even worse than the Hemorrhoidectomy recovery. I ended up having LIS, a sphincterotomy, a Fissurectomy in May And the doctor ended up taking off some tags in piles well back there. The recovery didn't seem normal I soon begin to have discharge but the doctor kept saying it just takes time to heal and finally about seven months later confirmed I had a fistula. In December I had A fistulectomy and the doctor again, cleaned up anything he saw back there like tags. This time I feel pretty good I went back to working out in February and feel pretty good I was stronger than I had ever been I wasn't worried about the pain or any of that because I feel pretty healed. I unfortunately started feeling some slight pain again and the pus and discharge started again after going back to the doctor a couple times he finally said that I have a fissure and a fistula. This was very frustrating for me because now I'm finally working out the gym getting stronger on my lives and feeling more confident and now I have to put my life on hold again delay having another potential baby and have another surgery. This will be my third surgery back there in the last year and so before I booked at surgery, since the pain is not as bad as it was last year, I want to see if anybody has any suggestions or recommendations as to seeing if there's anything else going on or why the reoccurrence is occurring or anything.

I heard Some people talk about MRIs and I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate for that. Sorry for the long rant, I'm just looking for some answers or similarities or somebody that's been through this many occupancies.

Also, for working out I understand that it could have an effect on healing but I waited this last surgery until I felt completely healed and I felt pretty good. I don't feel any pain after lifting or anything worse after a day of lifting heavy or doing heavy squats or deadlifts or anything like that. Working out is the one thing that really makes me feel better and I'm sure you can imagine it's the one thing I'm scared to lose.

Again, sorry for the long rant thank you and advance for any suggestions or recommendations are just words of hope and advice thank you!
Holdingontohope

Topics: 1

Re: Third surgery...any similar? Losing faith.

Postby Rosco9 » 07 Jul 2017, 15:37

Anal fissures suck. The usual prescription drugs you will get are nitro/diltiazem cream to help relax the sphincter muscles. You're told to take Metamucil. You're told to drink more water. Thanks modern medicine for falling so short of being helpful for this painful condition. You see, anal fissures are incredibly simple problems of anatomy, and thus there is a simple fix for them. It's a cut, that happens to get torn open daily from the bottom up (the way fissures heal) and so there is very little forward progress in healing. Add to that the bacteria and and nerve endings in the Anus, and it's a horrifying experience. I'm going to teach you how to cure the one you have, as well as any that happen in the future in less than a week.

Get your diet on point first...
lots of fiber rich foods from now on. Beans, whole grains, rice veggies, fruits, etc. Limit red meat and nuts, popcorn, seeds, etc.
Be careful taking supplemental fiber like Metamucil, this will bulk your stool and prevent the fissure from healing when you pass large stool. Natural fiber in foods doesn't bulk this way and is a better choice.

1-take Miralax daily, along with magnesium citrate, these are safe osmotic laxatives that will keep your stool like soft serve ice cream no matter what you eat, and can be used long term if desired.

2) put petroleum jelly in your bum with your finger before every bowel movement, this will lubricate and prevent tearing of the fissure. Squat over a handheld mirror.

3) squat on the rim of toilet or buy a squattie potty, this straightens your digestive tract and makes you not need to push or strain as much.

4) buy desitin 40‰ zinc oxide cream and start applying with a q tip directly into the fissure cut itself (very important) after bowel movements and before bed. This speeds up skin renewal significantly and will heal the fissure in just a few days (seriously) if you also follow the above steps.
If your fissure is to the muscle, or if spasms are a problem when going, then use diltiazem 10 min or so before bowel movements, then use the petroleum right before. Breathe deep and concentrate on relaxing, don't strain at all.

Continue with the poletroleum jelly every bm for a few months atleast and you shouldn't have another fissure. Start wiping with water soaked toilet paper, don't use soap or alcohol based wipes anymore on your bum these will dry out the Anus.

That is it! No potions or drinking random things to heal from the inside out... This is a simple problem with a simple fix! Soft stool, petroleum to prevent re-tears daily, keep the Anus clean with water, and use zinc cream to heal the cut much faster than it normally could. You've got nothing to lose and getting your life back to gain, go out and buy the things I've outlined and you can be done with this in a week!
Rosco9
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2