Hemmie Banding/ligation

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Hemmie Banding/ligation

Postby Jen » 18 Jul 2008, 11:47

Tim & Melissa -
Our situations are completely identical! I had the colonoscopy, the disappearing fissure, the hemmies! I am totally convinced my hemmies were causing fissures and acually turned one fissure chronic. However, I have not found supporting evidence that hemmies actually cause fissures.
I am so glad your feeling better. The banding is so simple, I wish more people would get it done to relieve their suffering. It works like a charm. I also think it is a good thing to do before your hemmies get out of control. Once they are even larger, banding is not an option, only surgery will help.
Its so nice to see you guys supporting each other. my hubby and I are always talking about my butt too - It's hard to remember the days were my butt was not part of our daily conversations!
Keep up with the healing & let us know how you are feeling in the weeks ahead!
Jen
:thinkofyou:
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 18 Jul 2008, 13:15

Jen,
My first CRS told me that I had some small (non surgery needed) thrombosed hemmroids on the outside that was causing the opening to be too small which caused the fissure. Obviously if you are trying to fit something too big into something to small somethings got to give, hence the fissure. I would consider that supporting evidence. At least in my case. I have no outside hemmies anymore and are taking care of the internal ones. How the heck many can you have there anyway? I have found so much comfort in him taking care of two of them! There are more?
Tim

Postby Jen » 18 Jul 2008, 13:46

Tim -
My CRS told me that one can have internal hemmies in only 3 interior areas. I think that may mean you can only have 3 internal hemmies??? Image Anyways, Each of the 3 hemmies can be banded multiple times. Like I said before, I had one really large one that required 2 different bandings. I am surprised your doctor banded 2 at once. Mine would not do that, and I had to go in for 3 different appointments.
I know my hemmies were causing fissures. I think everything in that area was so swollen and tender after bowel movements, something had to give! I have looked on the internet for sources saying that hemmies caused fissures, but I could not find any. Thats ok - I don't need any evidence. I know the hemmies were the root of my fissure issues, and thank God the hemmies are taken care of!
Don't ever go back to your old habbits. Take fiber supplements for the rest of your life if you have to. I have been feeling good for almost 4 months and I still "act" like I have issues down there - meaning I still eat right, take fiber, and drink water. I will do this forever to keep the pain for coming back! :D
Jen :$%:
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 18 Jul 2008, 16:07

Jen,
I will never go back to the old habits. I figured I used to only get 7 grams of fiber a day! I always ate good but not enough fiber. Now I get at least 30 a day. My breakfast is packed with at least 20 right off the bat.
1. glass of plumsmart with tablespoon of benefiber
2. 2 cups of raisin bran
3. an apple
As far as the banding goes. I read on webmd.com that they can do up to three at once. Other than than that they have to put you out. Two was enough. I just passed one of the bands. It was alone by itself. Should it have been attached to something? I know we ALL look now dont we? EWWWW gross. Although they float and the other stuff doesnt so that does make sense.
Tim

Postby Jen » 18 Jul 2008, 16:54

Tim -
I think your smart to have alot of fiber in your breakfast. I have my own views on this. Since I only have one BM a day (in the am), my breakfast stays in me longer and has a better chance of becoming a hard tipped poo, which can be difficult to pass if you made the pact with yourself to not strain for the rest of your life. With this being said it makes sence to have a high fiber breakfast. I eat kashi cereal or raisin bran with 2 tablespoons of flaxseed every morning. This is about 12 grams.
I bet you had the fullness feeling longer than I did because you had more bands. I actually never saw any of my bands. I looked for them all the time! I wish they were neon colors so they would be easy to spot! Now don't freak out if you have mucus and blood for a while now that the band fell off - like I said that happened to me and I was fine! :)
Jen :krusty:
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 18 Jul 2008, 18:49

Ok Thanks!
I too usually only have one BM a day and it is in the morning. I usually go all day and feel super. Over the past week since I had the banding it feels like I have to go again and again. But again when you sit you dont want to push!
I have been pain free for three days now! No jinx!
I asked my CRS if the hemmroids could have caused all this pain and he said no its the fissure. Well the fissure is and was gone! So it HAD to be the hemmroids!
Tim

Postby Jen » 18 Jul 2008, 22:12

Tim -
I had hemmie pain & fissure pain off and on so often, sometimes it was hard for me to distinguish between the two pains. Some people are just not bothered by their hemmies. My hemmies would swell and cause horrible pain with BM's! I don't know why its different with everyone.
When I had the banding, I would just go sit on the toilet (and not push) for like 30 min at at a time. I swore I had to go, but nothing would ever come out. This will end for you soon. When is your follow up appointment?
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 19 Jul 2008, 05:54

Jen,
That is the wierd thing. BMs never hurt! It was hours after that while I was sitting it would hurt like heck!
My follow up is this coming Wednesday. So we will see what he says. The good thing is the pain seems to be gone but I do feel like I have to go. My BMs were pretty smooth and of good size prior to the banding now they seem a little thinner. I dont know I cant figure it out!
Tim

Postby Guest » 19 Jul 2008, 07:33

Hello Tim ...Welcome ! :)
I am really pleased to hear about your banding and that things are improving for you :)
Best of luck for Wednesdays appointment ! Image

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Jul 2008, 13:01

Thin BM and hurting after BM could be signs of sphincter spasms.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61