Travel advice please

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Travel advice please

Postby pinky » 13 Nov 2008, 17:45

Hi all,im planning to visit india in the first week of december.im travelling with my cousin as i maynot be able to manage my son alone.my hubby will join us later.i still dont sit on my butt directly for longer than 10mins.my fissure pain would worsen every time i sat for a long time.i asked my crs and he said sitting doesnt affect the fissure but it has always hurt me more.its almost 9hrs flight and im scared how ill take care of myself on the plane.dont know if i can drink enough water,will i be able to take movicol and most imp,if i will be able to hold my son for the entire journey.
any advice will be helpful.thanks in advance.
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Re: Travel advice please

Postby Guest » 13 Nov 2008, 19:39

That is great that your cousin can go with you. That will be a big help trying to juggle bags and a baby. I have travelled a lot with butt pain and I tried to shift positions a lot. I would sit cross legged, I would sit on one foot, one cheek, you name it. Take some advil to get you through it.
Does your baby like Baby Einstein dvds? Maybe you can take a dvd player and that can keep him entertained and still so that you aren't getting that extra pressure from him moving around. Maybe the flight won't be crowded so you can have some extra seats to stretch out. Try to see if you can get a seat in bulk head so you can put your feet up on the wall and also have more room for your son to scoot around.
And most of all, try not to worry. It will all work out, you'll see.
Does you family know that you will need some extra time, privacy, rest etc. since you have some butt issues? Let them enjoy your son while you rest.

Postby Fissulyna » 13 Nov 2008, 20:49

That is great news Pinky Image !!!! I am sure that you will benefit greatly from your trip Image in many ways !!! That is wonderful that your cousin will join you - you than have nothing to worry about !!! Any time you need to stretch your legs or go to the bathroom you will have somebody watching your baby Image ! Take ALL of your supplements , butt wipes
, and medications in a carry-on - you do not want to have your life -savers lost accidentally by airline Image . Nine hours is not that bad - I traveled with acute fissure 5 hours from HI to CA and a 2 Tylenols as a help LOL - oh boy - I was then still in such ignorance bliss thinking I just got hemorrhoids or something Image . And yes, I used Lecia's techniques - would sit on one side of my butt, than other, than on my tail, than on my leg and so forth . I do not think you will have any trouble at all since you will have your cousin sitting next seat and she will help you with positioning and all Image . I also agree with Lecia that you should ask for that first raw of seats behind the "wall" - your baby will have place to stand and sit on the floor and play - is he making baby-steps yet ??? Bring one big blanket to put on the floor so he is cozy and on clean surface . If he becomes fussy to the extant that you absolutely can not handle him and have a feeling that all people in the plane want to kick you guys off the plane LOL, give him some baby-cold medicine to make him sleepy and he will wake up in Delhi
all rested and happy and so will you Image LOL. Don't forget to see some good doctor in India, he might have some great new advice or approach . Go to ayurvedic practicioner too Image - you never know what might help !!!
I wish you very happy voyage and may you return renewed in body and spirit too Image If you decide to return at all LOL !!!!!!
All the best Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2008, 07:49

What about sitting on one of those memory foam pillows ?? I am sure i have seen this tip here somewhere Image i have one and it seems to give a nice firm support Image
I think you are going to be fine Pinky , just keep changing postions regularly and have a good fews walks around the plane and stretch your legs :)
My mum is going to India in January Image

Postby Deleted User 5 » 14 Nov 2008, 08:29

Great idea, Tabby! Memory foam!
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 14 Nov 2008, 15:10

I bought a square cushion from a mobility shop with weird shape holes cut in it- its really good!
I went on a 4 hour car journey when my fissure was bad, and things were ok. Like Fiss says, have all your things you'll need all in one bag with you. And relax!
Hope you have a wonderful time.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby pinky » 14 Nov 2008, 17:57

Thanks for all the suggestions.I will keep everything i need in 1 bag.i should look into the memory faom pillow and the square cushion.hope they'll allow me to carry it with me.my flights in the afternoon,dont know when to take movicol.
which part of iindia is you mum travelling to tabby?
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2008, 18:12

Hey Pinky Image
I havent a clue !! but dont you worry i will ask her !
She is there with hubby on business, funny as she asked me to come along too, which is a nice thought but a little too cosy for my liking ! I think she forgets i have my own family :roll: She will be going for one month which is better than 6 as it was suppose to be !
Hope you are doing a little better today Pinky Image

Postby Jo » 14 Nov 2008, 22:30

Pinky,
I am so happy :D you get to go to India for a visit. How long will you be there?
Are you feeling better? Maybe by December you will be all healed!!
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby SunshineHope » 15 Nov 2008, 04:03

Pinky, lucky you. I originally got my fissure while visiting India. I was at a lavish wedding eating lots of fried cheeses (an amazing dish, as weird as it sounds) and relishing in all the great wedding food, then I wasn't able to go to the washroom for 2 or 3 days. I'm sure you'll be fine though, just try to keep up with the diet there. I think the Indian diet is very rich in fibre - lentils, salad, beans, vegetables. Of course it depends where you're going, but there are many great restaurants there with diverse food. Although you probably already know this, be very careful where you eat. I ate a "veggie burger" that was actually a potato pattie and was sick in the hospital for a week because of it (apparently they sometimes carelessly leave the potato mixture out overnight).
Anyways, I went on a 12 hour bus ride in the prime of my fissure when I had just been bleeding and aching so much. So I send you love and strength. I took a donut pillow and ignored the weird looks friends gave me. One of my friends knew about the fissure so she looked out for me. I think you'll be fine, hopefully you can explain the situation to your cousin so s/he knows. DO try to get some type of pillow, whether it's a donut pillow (hole in the middle so there's not as much pressure on your anus itself and more just on the butt cheeks, its comfortable). Also try to take pain killers, and the advice already given is great: try getting a seat up front for extra room, and try giving your baby some cold medication to help him sleep for longer (it may sound bad but my aunt has done this when she flies with her daughters and it helps).
I've also heard there are some good butt doctors in India. You could possibly get good treatment and likely for cheaper. Try to see if you can get in touch with anyone there. Other than that, just make sure you pack any emergency ointments that help you - be it vaseline or a lubing mixture - anything that would help you in severe pain. One tip, if you go to the washroom and had a burning/painful BM, gather a small wad of toilet paper and soak it in hot water. Drain the water, and place the wad between your cheeks, so it touches the fissure area/area of pain. If you put it there for a little while, the heat can provide instant comfort, even if you're on a plane or in the middle of no where. Also, you could try carrying a water bottle if heat helps you, and I'm sure the airline attendants could fill hot water for you incase you have pain.
Bon voyage and take care. Image
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38