am I really healed ?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

am I really healed ?

Postby gahgah604 » 08 Dec 2008, 21:56

Well I have had this fissure for about 3 years. I have been using Nifedipine with success. Problem being is... I have to stay on the ointment, once I go off the ointment... the fissure slowly creeps back ! My CRS says that my fissure is healed, I just don't believe him! I do have some pain sometimes, there is stinging but no bleeding or spasms.
Is there a way they can take a picture of the fissure ? so that they know 100% that the fissure is healed ? He just sticks his finger in my but and uses an anascope when he examines me. How is he sure that the fissure is healed without actually seeing it ?
Is it safe to use Nifedipine for the rest of my life if I had too ? will my body get used to it eventually ?
I have a touch of IBS, so I get diarrhea every couple weeks which hurts the fissure even more, which brings me to the conclusion that my fissure is not 100% healed!
do I need a new CRS or just accept the fact that my fissure is healed and there will be pain regardless.
gahgah604
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Re: am I really healed ?

Postby cherylk » 08 Dec 2008, 23:40

Have you tried fiber supplements to help regulate your digestive system?
Fellow IBS sufferer
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby gahgah604 » 09 Dec 2008, 00:44

ya I have tried citrucel, didn't really make a difference. I have a mild case of IBS... like a semi monthly attack of diarrhea after I eat. Just IBS and fissures do not go well together.
gahgah604
Salt Bather

Postby Corsi » 09 Dec 2008, 01:52

I think that they see the fissure when using an anascope, and if he sees it he sees it = you should trust him when he says your fissure is healed, but for your own sake - get a second opinion to be sure!
When you are having d. use vaseline or something else to cover your fissure or what's left of it. I think D. can sting even if your fissure is healed because the skin down there is very fragile after years having a fissure...
About the Nifedipine, I have no idea....
Good luck :)
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby cherylk » 09 Dec 2008, 04:35

We all react to different fiber supplements differently. I would suggest that you might try a different one. Citracel didn't help me either. I use Benefibre and Metamucil. I agree IBS does not help a fissure!!
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2008, 06:10

Hi G
That’s great you are are feeling better, How long have you been using nitro ??
For long term use I cannot say but having used similar - Dialtzem - the longer you continue to use any cream the more likely it is that at some point you will develop sensitivity just like I did, I used the cream for a good year !!
I know where you are coming from as I have felt healed too on the cream and only when I stopped it the symptoms came back – which is no good really if the cream is only masking the problem – the creams are used for usually a 12 week period maybe longer but I do not think they are intended for long term use– is your CRS happy for you to use this long term ???
As I have mentioned to you before psyluim would be great for you to try as it helps with the symptoms of IBS and alternating constipation and diarrhea and remember to use the Vaseline as a barrier while things are still healing !
The best of luck G !
Another Fellow IBS sufferer Image

Postby gahgah604 » 09 Dec 2008, 07:46

I am not in severe pain, I can live fine like this if it stays like this. (although I am using Nifedipine) I do not want surgery because I do not feel it is the right thing to do based on how my butt feels. I am sure if I was in more pain, I would not hesitate to get the LIS.
My IBS is very mild, I only have like a couple bouts of diarrhea every month.
I just fear that if I get severe diarrhea that it will put me back to square one.
I am just wondering if I will have to be on the medication for the rest of my life. So I was wondering if it is safe to do so ?
I just find it hard to believe that it is healed because I have pain sometimes.
gahgah604
Salt Bather

Postby Jen » 09 Dec 2008, 08:45

This is like reading my own story. I suffered for 20 months total. I used creams for a long time. Everytime I would stop, my fissure would return. I needed the creams to keep from retaring. The doctors all told me I was healed - and I was - it would just retare, however it did closed fast. I finally decided on LIS in August and it has worked so far.
Good Luck!!
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby gahgah604 » 09 Dec 2008, 08:57

why have surgery and take the risks associated with it ? when you could just use the cream everyday ? what was your thought process ? I am very curious.
thanks
gahgah604
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2008, 09:12

Creams can and do mask the problem me and Jen know that only too well -
A fissure should by text book heal within that 12 week period with the creams - When fissure becomes chronic they are much more difficult to heal and most cases will be because of over tight sphincter muscle with that we never fully heal and the vicious cirlcle just goes on !
G - Will your CRS supply you a lifetime of nitro ??