New and need help............

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

New and need help............

Postby bixa525 » 05 Mar 2009, 20:10

Hi everyone! I am new to the board and am suffering for about 2 months now with one of these awful fissures. My family Dr. prescribed for me Nifedipine cream with lidocaine ointment twice a day. Now after about 1 1/2 weeks into the treatment I felt like I was getting better, less pain and in general I could sit and go about normal daily activities without much problem. Now I am going into my third week of using the cream and the last few days I have felt awful. The pain is back in the fissure and the burning and knifelike feeling has returned also. I am so upset and I don't know what happened because I was doing so good. I haven't had any hard bm's or straining so I can't figure out what has happened. I did read online that sometime you have to use this cream for 6 to 8 weeks to see a major improvement but I am so afraid now that I am getting worse and surgery might be my only option down the road. Has anyone else had any experience using the Nifedipine cream? Did you heal using it and how long did it take? Did you have any set backs while using the cream? Sorry so many questions but I went down this road 20 years ago after the birth of my daughter and I did end up having surgery and it was very painful and I still have vivid memorys of it so I really don't want to go there. Can anyone offer me any hope with the cream actually healing the fissure or maybe something else that worked for you and helped you avoid surgery? Thanks you for your help. This is just an awful infliction to have.
bixa525
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New and need help............

Postby Guest » 05 Mar 2009, 20:23

Hi Bixa,
I had a fissure too that I got after a hemorrhoid surgery. I ended up using one of the creams but it took 4 months for it to heal. I was pretty lucky because mine was new and I started treatment quickly so I was able to avoid surgery. I also took 2-3 baths a day. It was an awful, awful time, so I can sympathize with you. I have had problems with my bottom since my last child was born.
I think time is on your side as your fissure is still relatively new. Make sure you are diligent with your application of the cream, baths and diet. Keep your stools soft however you can. Some people need to take stool softeners and that is okay.
The surgery is quite effective and most people are very happy that they had it done. Does the fissure hurt more or do you get spasms as well?

Postby cherylk » 06 Mar 2009, 08:37

Bixa,
I have used the Diltiazem ointment for nearly a year. I only use it very, very sporadically now, but it seems to have healed my fissure. Botox shots would also be another option if you need to try something besides an ointment. What type of surgery did you have 20 years ago???? Image
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 06 Mar 2009, 16:23

Hi and welcome Bixa ! Image
I had a fissure years ago that healed with the cream it took about 4- 6 months !
I used the cream 3 times a day and found using the cream before a BM helped ..
Goodluck !

Postby bixa525 » 06 Mar 2009, 16:49

Thanks for your replys. I basically get both spasms and it just plain hurts almost like a nagging toothache. I don't know what type of surgery I had 20 years ago for the fissure but I do remember afterwards I had to have shots of morphine every hour for the pain. I think I was in the hospital 2 days and then went home. It took about 2 weeks before I felt better but eventually it did work. I guess I will just keep going with the cream as long as I can. I just wondered if anyone else had a relaspe and then went on to heal the fissure. I never heard of botox. Is this successful for most people? Sounds like it would hurt like crazy!
bixa525
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 06 Mar 2009, 16:57

Sometimes people are asleep when the Botox shots are given.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 06 Mar 2009, 17:16

My freind had surgery many years ago too , she had anal dilation and said that was very sore !
Botox has the same stats there abouts as the creams i think Image without the needles !
Hopefully as the weeks go on your relapses will become less , just be extra strict about doing everthing right !

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Mar 2009, 17:19

Bixa, there will still be ups and downs even while you are using the cream. You have to learn the hard way like we all did that a fissure will always fool you, let you down, lead you into a false sense of security and then bite you like a snake in the grass just when you think all is clear ahead. I think everyone on this board will agree with me, there is no way to know you are really healing untila month or two has passed without pain, or a CRS tells you things are getting better.
The cream CAN work, but the success rate is only about as good as Botox, around 50-60%.
Deleted User 5

Postby pinky » 06 Mar 2009, 17:34

Totally agree with Kim.There's no easy way out.
Has your crs examined you?have you been fissure free all these years after your surgery?its too soon to know if you need surgery.you should continue using the nifedepine and strict diet with baths to heal the fissure.You'll also need physiological tests before surgery.any reason GTN was not given?I had one shot of botox under GA.didnt help me.Im not very keen on botox as the studies are still going on and it hasnt helped many.but its worth a shot before surgery.
Be patient and continue to do everything right for the fissure.I know everyday seems like eternity but unfortunately there's no quick fix for the fissure.Hope it goes well for you
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby bixa525 » 06 Mar 2009, 21:28

Well it doesn't sound like the botox is all that successful so I won't try that yet. I have been fissure free since my operation 20 years ago but did have problems with the occasional hemmy . I have not been to a Crs yet only my family physician. She prescribed the nifedipine ointment for me and told me if things didn't get better she would reccomend a crs for me to go too. What do you mean you need physiological tests done before surgery? Also what is GTN? Sorry I am new and don't know all of the lingo yet. I will try to be patient for a while and hopefully this will heal. Any other creams besides Nitro, Nifedipine and and the one that starts with a D that work on healing fissures? Thanks
bixa525
Fibre Addict