Valium + nitroglycerin/lidocaine/hydrocortisone for fissure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Valium + nitroglycerin/lidocaine/hydrocortisone for fissure?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 11 Aug 2009, 21:30

Hi all,
I just saw a colorectal surgeon who prescribed me the following for my fissure:
* Ointment consisting of nitroglycerin, lidocaine, and hydrocortisone
* Valium
Has anyone here tried any of these or is familiar with them? I'm specifically interested in the hydrocortisone and Valium. I'd always heard that hydrocortisone shouldn't be used for fissures, and I haven't heard too much about using Valium either (the doctor suggested this because she says my sphincter spasm is pretty bad).
The doctor has a good reputation and seems to know her stuff, and says if these don't help then the next step is botox injections. Any feedback is welcome.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Valium + nitroglycerin/lidocaine/hydrocortisone for fissure?

Postby cherylk » 12 Aug 2009, 05:47

Is Valium a pill you are to take? I would have tried Botox injections if my ointment didn't work. It obviously works for some, or they wouldn't ever do it. Try drinking Ensure if you are worried about your weight--I did and put 15 pounds back on my body. I don't know about the hydrocortisone part. I think I used that for hemmroids. Good luck.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Aug 2009, 12:12

Thanks Cheryl! I'll have to check out the Ensure. Weight isn't my primary concern, the fissure is of course, but it would give me one less thing to worry about if I could just put a few pounds back on. I've become a bit obsessed with weighing myself on the scale to see if my weight is continuing to plummet.
I'm definitely keen on trying the botox. I don't feel like I'm making much progress with the nitro ointment. Sometimes I'll feel okay for a day, but the very next day the pain is back and just as bad as it ever was. Since insurance will be covering the botox, my out of pocket will be pretty minimal, so I figure it's at least worth a shot.
And yeah, Valium is a pill. It's a benzodiazepine muscle relaxant drug that's usually used for anxiety. I was scared to take it at first because other benzodiazepines have given me constipation in the past, but I think I'll at least give it a go. Figure I'll throw everything I can at it for now, and if that doesn't work, then it'll be time for botox, with LIS being next up if botox doesn't fly either.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Corsi » 12 Aug 2009, 13:34

I would not take hydrocortisone...my GP gave me that when she wrongly diagnosed me with hemorroids, and I think it made things worse for me, but remember I have no medical training...
I lost 20 kg...
Corsi
PS Where in Norway did you live?
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Aug 2009, 13:53

Hey Corsi,
Yeah I'm kind of undecided about the hydrocortisone. I tried the new ointment for the first time last night and so far today has been hell. I don't know if it's because of the ointment or something else, but whatever it is, it needs to stop soon. It's probably my own weak spirit talking but I can't live like this anymore.
I lived in Oslo, in the Grьnerlшkka district for a little over 3 months. I worked in Nydalen, the company shared a building with an university up there. I got to check out a few other places in Norway while I was there, Heimsdahl for some skiing, Trondheim (had some friends from up there), and also Bergen. I didn't have a fissure or any other digestive problems at that point so it was good, carefree times, tried out a lot of local foods and had a great time (seems so long ago now Image ).
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Aug 2009, 13:59

P.S.
Corsi, if you lost 20 kg then I guess I can't complain too much... I've lost about 15-20 pounds so far, so only 7-9 kg. I think my mood is suffering the most right now, it doesn't look like there will ever be light at the end of the tunnel with this stupid fissure. One day it mostly behaves itself, and the next day the terrible pain is right back!
Is your fissure healed, or are you still in the process of fighting it too?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2009, 02:28

Hey NG !
I have used it all !
Valuim Image Great for spasms but only use short term, the same with hydrocortisone 1-2 weeks, no longer as it does thin the skin but it does help with inflammation so i would try it all my freind :D
Oh Valuim was AOK on my tummy, it did not give me any constipation :)
Hope it all helps NG !

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 Aug 2009, 04:05

Awesome, thanks Tabby. Today an ER doc gave me an intravenous painkiller and antispasmodic drug for my fissure pain/spasm. According to the doctor, the painkiller effect wears off first and the muscle relaxing effect wears off second. Even after the painkiller wore off, I still got a good deal of relief from the lack of spasms alone. So I'm going to give the Valium a go for a little bit for sure, if it helps keep that sphincter in place then I don't care what the other side effects are!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2009, 05:23

I think so too, NG !
Glad you are finding some relief atleast..

Postby Corsi » 14 Aug 2009, 01:56

NeuropathicGuy wrote: I lived in Oslo, in the Grьnerlшkka district for a little over 3 months. I worked in Nydalen, the company shared a building with an university up there. I got to check out a few other places in Norway while I was there, Heimsdahl for some skiing, Trondheim (had some friends from up there), and also Bergen. I didn't have a fissure or any other digestive problems at that point so it was good, carefree times, tried out a lot of local foods and had a great time (seems so long ago now Image ).
Hemsedal you mean. that's a skiing resort :) Do you have the letter Ш on your computer? :D
Things will be better for you, but these things take time. AF are Image
I had LIS February 23rd after having my AF for over a year. I am am healing, but things take time. I am still on lactulose and eat very healthily (cannot eat whatever I want). I am stuck with a worse digestion after taking Miralax/Movicol for 6 months. Things are more slow moving than before and I REALLY regret taking that stuff, as I never had any constipation/slow moving issues before.
Have you thought about LIS?
Corsi
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18