stool softeners

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: stool softeners

Postby afugh!! » 16 Sep 2009, 23:45

Hmm...quite interesting....well figuring my fissure isn't as bad as others and since I don't get pains during BM's I think Colace should suffice for now.I'll take Miralax as reference for now and just in case things get worse down(GOD I HOPE NOT!!)there and I got to make my stool softer I know what to take.Thanks for the input fellas.Oh yeah heard you had your twins NG congrats Image
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby gr8ness » 18 Sep 2009, 07:20

afugh!! wrote:well Gr8ness I ate plenty yesterday an my fluid consumption was up to par,how many Mg is yours? I have both 50 and 100 mg and I'm still trying to find the right dosage to where I can poop once a day with my stool being soft enough.I'm thinking maybe two 100 mg once at lunch and another at dinner.Atleast I'm not alone in this making me feel nauseous,yesterday was just horrible.Only good thing that happened yesterday was the doc precribed me nytro and it was the first time in two months I had a poop w/out getting that tight feeling afterwards,hope the nytro can set me to the path of getting rid of this AF.

I am taking the 100mg capsules from Target. I take 2 in the morning with breakfast and then take one before bed. It took a few days for my body to adjust but it has been working last couple days. I do drink copious amounts of water though. I'm drinking a minimum of 8-10 glasses a day...the stool softener definitely needs that water to work properly. I have also stopped taking Metamucil despite doctor's advice. It simply makes things worse for me. It makes everything come out HUGE and scrapes the fissure like there's no tomorrow. I'm not sure how that can help things out.
You are right about colace/docusate sodium though it tends to give me a stomach ache but for me it typically goes away quickly if I've eaten/drank a whole bottle of water. For me the stomach ache isn't bad enough to justify stopping the colace as the colace at least helps the fissure tone down a bit. It is probably worse for you though which sucks because it can help. Senokot messed me up really bad so maybe we have different things we react to. Hang in there!
gr8ness
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby afugh!! » 19 Sep 2009, 01:37

Taking two 100 mg is enough for me,I get about 30-35 grams of fiber a day so its enough to get the poop pastey and smooth.I took 3 the first time and it made me wanna poop earlier than my scheduled BM time and I pooped a grip to the point it was just spewing like a hose.It was all soft but it still made my poop hole sore so two is good for me.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19