stool softeners

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

stool softeners

Postby afugh!! » 15 Sep 2009, 21:41

well anyhow I went to the general surgeon this morning and he told me to switch from citrucel to colace instead so i did.Later on in the day my stomach started churning and I started feeling nauseated and sick at work and was passing gas like crazy,I was feeling so delirious that I couldn't even do my work so I just went home early.Now I'm wondering if the switch from bulk fiber to colace could made me sick.Last time I took the citrucel was yesterday and I took 2 50 mg colace after lunch,so can a switch make you sick?What do you guys think?
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Re: stool softeners

Postby cherylk » 16 Sep 2009, 04:56

I would suggest trying Miralax.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 16 Sep 2009, 05:44

Me too :)

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Sep 2009, 06:54

I wouldn't think the switch would make you sick, the citrucel and colace really are two different things that act differently on your stools, the citrucel simply adds fiber, while the colace works to soften....I took them both at the same time and never had any problems. Of course that doesn't mean it didn't somehow make *you* feel queasy!
Deleted User 5

Postby gr8ness » 16 Sep 2009, 07:17

I regularly take colace (well the generic) and it helps me tremendously. I know the nauseous feeling you get from it and I've noticed that I get that way if I don't eat something with the colace for some reason. I'll usually eat some dry cheerios or something with the colace and make sure you down a full bottle of water with it. That makes my stomach much better with it.
Make sure you drink enough water all day with it though...I try to down at least 8-10 glasses of water throughout the day and that way the colace has enough water to work with the force h20 into your bowels to help soften things up. I take 2 colaces in the morning and one at night before bed. That typically softens things up to the point of semi intense pain rather than deathbed intense pain!
gr8ness
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby afugh!! » 16 Sep 2009, 15:36

well Gr8ness I ate plenty yesterday an my fluid consumption was up to par,how many Mg is yours? I have both 50 and 100 mg and I'm still trying to find the right dosage to where I can poop once a day with my stool being soft enough.I'm thinking maybe two 100 mg once at lunch and another at dinner.Atleast I'm not alone in this making me feel nauseous,yesterday was just horrible.Only good thing that happened yesterday was the doc precribed me nytro and it was the first time in two months I had a poop w/out getting that tight feeling afterwards,hope the nytro can set me to the path of getting rid of this AF.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Sep 2009, 15:38

Have you tried the liquid colace? It worked much better for me than the gelcaps! Image
Deleted User 5

Postby afugh!! » 16 Sep 2009, 18:03

No...why does it work better if you don't mind me asking?
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Sep 2009, 18:44

I'm with Kim, I doubt adding Colace to your Citrucel regimen could account for the symptoms. Citrucel is just a fiber adder and Colace is a stool softener so it's not really a switch per se.
I tried Colace before and had mild stomach upset in the beginning which went away after a few doses. But it also never did much for me. I tried Miralax later and it was far more effective. Miralax is what I've been using ever since.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Sep 2009, 19:04

I agree with daddy, I mean NG and would like to add that even though I used colace myself, I didn't know about miralax at the time and miralax does seem to have a better reputation among our boardies than colace, as far as effectiveness is concerned.
I really don't know why the liquid form would work better, but I did find my stools a bit softer using the liquid.
Deleted User 5