Fissure-safe fast foods

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Fissure-safe fast foods

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 Sep 2009, 15:32

OK this is probably going to be a dumb question, but are there any fast food y'all know of that you'd consider fissure-safe? Or at least less dangerous than most?
I'm starting to think that if my damn fissure isn't going to heal anyway, maybe one day I may as well just totally go to town and stuff my face full of fast food and then wash it down with a few pints of beer. You know kind of go into a "screw it!" mode and blow off some steam, feel and live like a normal person if only for a few hours. I'm sure there will be hell to pay afterward, but at some point, for at least a few moments, one has to feel like one has control over your own life!
With that in mind, what's better and worse for fissures on the fast food spectrum? I'm thinking beef patty products like hamburgers won't be so great, but what about things like Taco Bell (maybe the ground beef is easier to digest?), Filet O' Fish sandwiches from McDonald's, french fries, KFC grilled chicken, etc.?
Any feedback from you brave fissure sufferers who have dared wander into the final frontier of fast food would be awesome. Btw I only just discovered all the previous threads in this Diet & Supplements section and the excellent information they contain, it's like a treasure chest in here. If my local drug store gets cleaned out of their supplies of these products this evening, they should pay you guys commission!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Fissure-safe fast foods

Postby cherylk » 18 Sep 2009, 06:03

I think fried food is very bad--it is hard on the digestive system! Maybe you could try an Arby's roast beef sandwich and a milk shake or a moolata from Dairy Queen. I had a moolata, and my mother and I both like those. If you are on such a low calorie diet, probably your weight loss is solely from that. I think a male needs 2,500 calories daily or something like that. I know my husband really takes in a lot of food!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Deleted User 5 » 18 Sep 2009, 06:52

I think if you went into an Arby's and didn't overdo it (like you want to) maybe just had a sandwich and fries (I like the potato cakes myself) you will probably not have much if any bad reaction. Unless you ate there twice a day everyday....But one or two off meals a week probably won't affect oyu much if at all. I ate "regular" southern cooking one meal a day while I had my fissure and that included some fried foods, of course. Few if any CRS seem to say stay completely away from "normal" food, it's us AF sufferers whop take it upon ourselves (and rightfully so for the most part) to alter our diet in such restrictive ways.
Just my humble opinion.
Deleted User 5

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 18 Sep 2009, 16:11

Haha how'd you guys know that Arby's is one of my favorite fast food joints :) We don't have that many here in Cali but coincidentally there's one down the street from my work. I like their roast beef and Arby-Q sandwiches. Right now I'm split between trying a Big Mac (my all time fav), Arby's roast beef sandwich, and Taco Bell crunchy tacos. It's going to be a roll of the dice either way, but since my fissure is regressing, I figure why eat bland stuff everyday if the fissure isn't going to get any better anyway.
If this fissure regresses any more over the next days I think I'm just going into full "screw this" mode and having myself a pizza and few beers to go with my Sunday football!!!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby afugh!! » 19 Sep 2009, 02:50

Well since I live with my cousin and we both are horrible cooks I can't always have my mom bring over foods she prepared so I would usually go to Panda Express and order up some beef broccoli.Figured their meat is soft enough and I would just spit out the chewy ones I catch in my mouth,I would generally have them put more broccoli then meat anyhow.Subways is not bad either,I'd get the salad sandwich on wheat and its pretty yummy.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby busymom » 19 Sep 2009, 16:07

Well, we do drive-thru fast food about twice a week on the way home from football. I like Wendy's because I can get a baked potato and salad, or even the grilled chicken sandwich with extra lettuce and tomato. I ALWAYS ask for extra veggies on any sandwich that I get! It's just one more way to get a little roughage. If I decide to get a hamburger, which isn't that often, I definitely get lots of veggies on it. It doesn't seem to be a problem for me. The fries get to me though so I don't eat them too often or have too many. :)
NG - I think the other thing that would be helpful would be to just get whatever burger you want with a salad on the side to make sure that you get lots of veggies! You sound so hungry - just like my 17 year old who craves burgers and fries! :D
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby cracked » 25 Sep 2009, 06:10

hi all - i always get confusdeed when people use term fast food and not ready cooked. i find cooking generally fast especially healthy thai style - it's good and fibre high plus i know what i put in it. a wok, oil, then thow in veg . start with the harder thigs first then add the softer. so easy and fast. i live outside england - i eat a fusion-thai style. maybe watch out for all that flour stuff. i am much better with none. my mum had coeliac and has gluten allergy so had to adjust anyway. on vacations in asia a rice based diet goes great. and all that salt in the uk food !!!!! as they say garbage in garbage out ...... with pain
cracked
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby sidra1968 » 25 Sep 2009, 11:51

I never go out to eat (so I can save $ to travel) and I like to cook gourmet-ish foods anyway as a hobby..so I agree with "cracked"..be careful..cook at home whenever possible so you know what you are "getting". BTW, I am going to try a new Thai dish this weekend.
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby toomuchwastedtime » 03 Oct 2009, 23:44

i would avoid any deep fried, spicy and crunchy food.
toomuchwastedtime
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Oct 2009, 11:02

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! I'm one part lazy and one part unskilled in the kitchen, so cooking is either out of the question (if you're optimistic) or downright dangerous (if you're realistic :)) for me, unfortunately. Plus I have to admit, I love the taste of junky fast food.
Lately I've been paying less attention to the fissure due to increased paranoia over other things, and eating a wider range of foods, and so far it's been going okay. The MiraLAX seems able to keep nearly anything soft with the possible exception of large pieces of beef. Chicken, fish, spam, and various potato chips seem to be little match for MiraLAX. I even had some spaghetti with ground beef the other day and even that made a smooth exit! If I can continue to dodge the hard poop bullet for a few more days I think I'm going to really let it ride and try out some Taco Bell. Taco Bell never really came out hard even before I had the fissure so I'm thinking it's my best fast food bet for a smooth exit. I'll report back with all the sordid details for any fellow junk food lovers if/when I get up the courage to follow through :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure