Question about sudden pain.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Question about sudden pain.

Postby suzyljank » 02 Oct 2009, 05:43

Hi, I had a retear a few weeks ago and seem to be on the mend, at least I hope. Yesterday while I was out shopping I got this sudden pain in the butt on the left side. It wasn't like the fissure pain but felt more like I got punched in the butt, it was like a throbbing ache. I went to the restroom and used a little nitro and in a few minutes it subsided but I'm not sure what it was. I was wondering if it could have been caused by gassiness. I increased my benefiber and it sometimes makes you gassy for a while when you do that. I thought maybe the pressure of trapped air pushing on a sensitive area might cause that kind of pain. Any thoughts. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Re: Question about sudden pain.

Postby afugh!! » 03 Oct 2009, 02:34

Hmm a thobbing ache but not on the fissure,I've had trapped gas to the point it would hurt my fissure but my butt directly no.Thats a bit of an odd case,sorry to hear about your retear.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby toomuchwastedtime » 03 Oct 2009, 23:39

i had similar experience. The gas that is trapped in your bum can cause a lot of pain. I am glad that nitro still work for you :)
toomuchwastedtime
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby busymom » 06 Oct 2009, 13:48

Hi Suzy - I've had that pain before. Sometimes I think it's, in my case anyway, a sciatic nerve type of pain that may be caused because I am constantly tensing up in order to keep pressure off of my fissure. I think gas build-up can also cause that pain feeling. Is it a sharp pain or more of a muscle cramping? If nitro works, keep using it! I wish it had worked for me!
I'm living with a cycle of no pain for weeks and then around my cycle I have horrible fissure pain for about 3 days. I wish it were just gas pain, but I really am seeing a connection with my fissure and 28 day cycle.
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby suzyljank » 06 Oct 2009, 20:30

Hi, the pain is not a sharp pain more like an intense dull ache. Like someone punched me in the area of the scar from the LIS surgery. Getting off my feet seems to help some. I usually ride it out. When it happens it stresses me out and I think that makes it worse. I never knew how many different kinds of pain you could get in and around your butt. Sometimes all this gets so overwhelming. Oh how I wish I could just be normal again. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Oct 2009, 10:53

Hey Suzy,
When my fissure first began to kick my ass (pun intended), I would often have a throbbing pain that lasted for hours. Mine was right in the center of the bum. It seemed better when standing up and worst when lying down. It wasn't necessarily associated with bowel movements either. In my case, I think it was general irritation of the area combined with some gas. I know gas played at least a small role, because my sphincter was really, really tight, and I'd pass some wind when I applied nitro to the area. That relieved the pressure a little bit, and provided marginal relief for the throbbing pain, but it definitely didn't completely alleviate it. The throbbing pain came in waves and only subsided after a night's sleep, only to return quickly the next morning.
My throbbing pain tapered off after about a week of nitro use and hasn't been back since (knock on wood). I never had LIS, though, so whether that factors in or not, I can't speak to, I'm afraid.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45