Newbie here...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Newbie here...

Postby Mimi » 27 Oct 2009, 05:44

Hi everyone,
It's 7:30am and I have been up since 4am because of AF pain. I just wanted to say that it's pretty weird and at the same time great that we can share all that .ss info with other people, knowing that nobody thinks you are crazy.
I'm still trying to figure out how did I get this wonderful malady - I've always been regular and very rarely constipated. I had 2 babies within 2 years and developed what I thought were hemorrhoids, but when I finally went to a CRS a couple of months ago he said No hemorrhoids, but Hypertrophied Anal Papillae. They would come out every time I have a BM and would have to be pushed back in. So, I think that's what caused the AF.
I've had a few flare ups for the past 2 years, but they always went away if I didn't go to the bathroom for 3-4 days. This last time though nothing seems to help. I've been in pain since April. I've tried a lot of things, but the only one that gives me relief is to actually be constipated. I know everybody is talking about soft, fluffy stool, but that's when I have the most pain. The harder the stool the less pain I have afterwards. Isn't that strange? Has anyone noticed the same?
Last edited by Mimi on 27 Oct 2009, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
Mimi
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Newbie here...

Postby cherylk » 27 Oct 2009, 05:52

Mimi,
Hard stools give me pain. This forum is a great place to learn and vent. I just wanted to say welcome. Image
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby juney » 27 Oct 2009, 11:14

mimi - my story's extremely complicated so i wont' get into it on this thread, but my most recent CRS said i have the largest anal papillae he's ever seen. he thinks that may be contributing to the bad pain i continue to feel. i've noticed lately that runny, loose stools cause much more irritation than more formed ones. from the research i've done, papillae are irritated (or even caused) by acidic runny stool, which contributes to inflammation and pain. but constipation is NOT GOOD. you do need soft/fluffy stool but it must be formed not runny or loose. it's a difficult balance!
the CRS said the papillae will need to be surgically removed at some point, they don't shrink or go away on their own. did your dr tell you the same?
my CRS also told me papillae develop as a result of fissures, and are usually at the top of the fissure (internally), with skin tags developing at the bottom (often externally). at that point, the fissure is chronic and pretty bad. how did your dr think the papillae developed if you never had a fissure before?
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Mimi » 27 Oct 2009, 14:20

Hi, Juney
My CRS did not get into details about the papillae - just said that if they don't bother me we don't have to do anything about it. I first noticed them during my first pregnancy, but they never hurt or bled. It didn't start hurting until the end of the second pregnancy. So, I don't know how did they develop.I wonder if I will get some relief if I start avoiding acidic food. I didn't know that until now, but will have to do some research on it. Thank you for the idea!
Mimi
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3