Nitro making fissure worse?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Nitro making fissure worse?

Postby William » 17 Jan 2010, 19:06

Before I started using the nitro, I was mainly having internal inflammation (hemmy?) and tightness problems. No really stinging pain while having BMs, though. On the first two days that I used the nitro, my butt felt the best that it had felt in months. Nice and relaxed, and not to painful during BMs.
Then, on the third day, I got a bad external hemorrhoid that has been with me for two weeks now, the longest that I've ever had one. And every day since then, the sharp pain and blood during BMs has gotten worse. And the after effects have lasted longer and longer.
The hemorrhoid discomfort isn't bad any more, but I'm pretty sure that the other problems are fissure-related. The nitro is still making things more relaxed down there, but it does sting a bit when I apply it, especially after the BM. But other ointments put down there have stung as well.
Any idea what could be going on? I'm wondering if I have a new fissure that's closer to the outside than the original, and/or the nitro is somehow causing problems.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: Nitro making fissure worse?

Postby afugh!! » 18 Jan 2010, 00:00

About 3 days after I started using nitro I got a hemmy as well.Don't really know why but I think the nitro was causing irritation even though thats not the general cause of hemmy's.Mix the nitro with lidocaine (otc nupercainal)so it can numb the area up before the irritation/stinging starts.You shouldn't apply nitro after a bm,its best to apply it 20 min.before bm so it can loosen up the sphincter and your stool won't rub on the fissure and try your best to avoid getting nitro on the fissure because I know that can sting.Hopefully my advice should help some. good luck.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby William » 18 Jan 2010, 08:37

Thanks for the info, afugh!!
I was debating whether to apply the nitro after the BM. I was doing it because I figured the BM and cleanup would get rid of much of it before it could be absorbed. But I've read that you should space applications out 12 hours apart to keep from adjusting to the medicine too quickly. So I'll probably do it first thing in the morning and in the evening.
20 min before? I wish I could time out my BMs that accurately. Half of the times that I think I need to go become "false starts."
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 18 Jan 2010, 08:39

William,
I tried to do it 5 minutes b/4--who could possibly know 20 minutes ahead of the "moment"???? :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby suzyljank » 18 Jan 2010, 10:13

Hi, if I'm having a hard time I use it before I go to bed and first thing in the morning but I also use it after a bm especially if I've had more than one trip to the bathroom. It keeps the muscles from going into spasms. My doctor gives me the full strength stuff so I cut it down with aquaphor and nitro mixed. That way I can make it the strength I want. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Jan 2010, 02:21

Oh, some people have that reaction - having stinging and burning when using Nitro or Nef. !!!
It is because those creams cause vasodilatation (widening of the capillaries ) - which is good - it helps with blood circulation and it helps healing process.
Now - some people develop real allergic reaction and need to stop using creams. I hope that is not the case with you.
I used my Nitro before and after BM and in between (about 8 times a day, if not more)!!!! There is nothing to "get used to" in all of that - having a fissure for long time only lowers the chance of it closing Image Image Image .
So try allllll ammunition you have in your arsenal to make it heal ! Actually, if you use any cream for too long - the chance of developing sensitivity to it is GREATER :(
I think that you have normal reaction to vasodilatation and I also think that your hemmie is a BIG problem there ! It might not hurt but it is making internal pressure high in the sphincter and that can not help at all Image .
Actually, many fissures occur after hemmie episode : (((
Hang in there Image Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby afugh!! » 19 Jan 2010, 03:14

Well it takes about 20 min. for the nitro to take effect and it lasts for about 3 hours so you can bm within that time.20 min. to an hour after application would be ideal so don't press yourself on having a bm.Have you adjusted yourself to bm at a certain time?Whats important is that your sphincter is loose so your stool won't rub on the fissure or atleast won't rub on it as much causing it to retear.Funny though I can poop at will as long as it's within my time frame Image .Use of it will varie from person to person but I personally think that one of the most important time to use nitro is before bm.Don't worry about the bm and cleanup rubbing away the nitro,as long as it's been on for 20 min or more its pretty much absorbed atleast enough for the bm.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William » 19 Jan 2010, 07:45

I've had a problem with having regular BMs in the morning because I was trying to be "smart" and wait to shower after everything was accomplished Image . However, a weekend trip that I just came back from made me realize that I've altered my lifetime schedule of shower, then BM. So I'm trying to go back to that and it seems to be helping. Something psychological, I guess.
So, now my morning schedule is: wake up, put on dibucaine and nitro, eat breakfast, shower and BM, sitz, then put on a little more dibu and nitro. At night, I put the dibu and nitro once again. I'm also starting to use Aveeno lotion again, since I think the petrolatum dries me out down there. I've run into that with other products that use it, so that may be part of the problem.
Fissy, thanks for pointing out the hemmy-fissure thing. That might explain my increased stinging. I'm not sure what to do about it right now, though. I don't want to quit using the nitro, since I think it's helping more than it's hurting. I guess I'll make an appointment to talk to the doc about it. Not that you're necessarily saying this, but it would make sense that this is a new fissure, since it "seems" to be in a different location (more towards the outside). I'm still holding out hope that my old one is mostly healed, since most of my problems for the last two months have been inflammation/hemmy related.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Jan 2010, 23:34

Hey William : ),
I am just actually giving you a short summary from all experiences of our former members here on the forum.
You are definitely not alone with sensitivity to a Nitro and it definitely does not mean that you are allergic . It is more likely that your irritation is, as I mentioned, result of vasodilatation. But, it is always wise to check : )
Also - more than couple of members had problem healing until they fixed hemmie problem (with "bending" or other more aggressive means) and eventually some had to have a LIS , or some had hemorrhoidectomy/LIS combo.
Another important fact is that sometimes it is hard to "feel the location" of the fissure since nerves are so intermingled in the anus - you can have a feeling that it is "on the side" and it can be very much centered ! Many members were surprised after exam of where actually their fissure was situated Image .
Best of luck with it all Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby afugh!! » 20 Jan 2010, 00:50

Ya when I had a hemmy I just sucked it up and still applied the nitro.What it comes down to is choosing the lesser of two evils and it worked out for me.It's great you got your routine worked out William,if you stay dilligent on your routine you will get the results you want.Dilligence in my routine is how I got my fissure to heal so stick with it.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist