Levator ani syndrome or proctalgia fugax?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Levator ani syndrome or proctalgia fugax?

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Mar 2010, 00:26

I actually took a couple Flexeril pills (just 5 mg each) at work today and they didn't seem to do too much.

OMG , ha ha haaaa, COUPLE and you did not end up under the table LMAO ???!!!! Oh boy - you are one special guy ; ))) !!!!
Yes, I definitely think that you will have the best result if you combine meds with some "body-work" . You can choose to go to chiropractor or myofascial massage therapist - anybody who would know how to reach those muscles and stretch them ! My Sis went to Chiropractor and also physiotherapist and did a bunch of exercises and got rid of the problem VERY fast. I also got some horrible trigger points in my neck and shoulder area during my fissure months due to constant unusual posture during sitting or even lying down : (. I went to myofascial therapist and after only 3 sessions it was completely gone !!!!! Even he was surprised since my muscles were sooooo tight and knotted that he was shocked when he examined me Image Image Image Image .
So - definitely try different approaches - one never knows which one might work ! : ))
Cheryl - I want to ask you - do you remember any of chocolate fudge cookies recipes that you were asking about couple of months back ??? :D If yes - could you please just forward them in my PM box LOL ??? Thanks !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 09 Mar 2010, 03:02

I just gave Yoga a try with some videos here at home and it was ummm interesting :) I thought I'd have good posture and balance from snowboarding so much in the past but apparently not lol. I'll continue giving it a go and see what happens. Feels nice to stretch out a bit after sitting on my ass for so long.
Yeah Fiss I popped 3 of the 5 mg Flexerils and felt a little bit drowsy, like I just ate a big lunch, but no real relief or other effects. Maybe I've got some kind of sedative tolerance or something. I took a higher dose of Valium tonight than usual too and it didn't give me any noticeable relief. Still feels like someone kicked me in the butt and left a bruise Image
I've never been to a chiropractor or massage therapist of any kind ever, so maybe those are worth looking into. Fiss what kind of problem did your sister have that the chiropractor was able to fix for her?
I've got an appointment with my primary doctor tomorrow morning and am going to ask if there are other muscle relaxers I can take. Hopefully he has something that I can take with Yoga for a while as a trial. I've got that appointment with Dr. Kim for Thursday too but will see what my primary doctor says first I guess. At this point I know the butt is involved in the problem for sure, but I don't know if it's the root cause or a secondary issue. I'm thinking about giving it a week or two to see if anything changes before rushing up to Dr. Kim. I want answers but I also want to give things ample time to work...
Anyway thanks again guys, when I'm done with all this I'm going to write a book about the adventures of my butt.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 09 Mar 2010, 07:31

NG,
I think we could all write a book--a very big one!!
Fiss,
I'll check for the recipe(s)!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby derryboy » 09 Mar 2010, 12:26

Image and reading the very start of this thread is pretty much simlar to what i get/have... aching, tightness etc etc, man this sucks.....
and ok tmi here maybe but when i feel well you know sexual frustrated, afterwards i get a pain in the very lower back just above my butt crack which can last anything from 10 mins to hrs
ive always thought it was just the wound site , fissures nd all the probing over the past 14 months
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby derryboy » 09 Mar 2010, 12:31

what are soma? what are they caalled in uk. i am now willing to try anything....
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 09 Mar 2010, 14:57

Hey Dazzy, I'm not sure what Soma are called in the UK, sorry... I've never taken them myself but supposedly they're similar to diazepam in effect. Is your pain on one side too?
About your pain in the lower back, I think that's around where the coccyx is. Basically your tailbone. Maybe there's some kind of issue there? It sounds more muscular if it lasts for a while and then goes away, but who knows Image It seems kind of high for fissure pain though.
My primary doctor today said that if I've got pain in my back too he'd suspect a herniated disk as a possibility. He says he can order an MRI if I want it, so I'm mulling it over right now. MRIs are expensive but I want to know as much as I can or at least rule out as much as I can. I don't see how a herniated disk would cause butt pain as well (maybe it could squeeze some nerve that runs down there?), but I have indeed taken a bunch of hard falls snowboarding over the years, so I guess it wouldn't be a total shock to me if something's out of whack as a result :(
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 09 Mar 2010, 16:32

BTW Dazzy, it looks like Soma is called Carisoma or Sanoma in the UK. I have no idea if it's ever indicated in the treatment of rectal problems though -- I did a quick search and didn't find any suggestion that it is. I was only thinking of asking my doc about it for back problems, but saw some information online advising against taking it with Valium (since they both depress the central nervous system), so I decided against it.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Mar 2010, 16:43

Deeeeeeryyyy Image !!!!! Nice to see you dude !!!!!! Image I was wondering where your buss took you LMAO - Zimbabwe ??? But - you are back, and that is important Image !!! BTW - what do you mean "sexually frustrated" - I mean - no need to explain - just want to tell you that I have a friend who had many lower back problems and her GP told her that she might try having more sex and she was furious that he said something like that but I told her that she definitely should try it - I mean - what is the "drawback" - pleasurable and useful at the same time Image
NeuroG - my Sis just tried to come out of the car and had a terrible shooting pain in her lower back and could not get "up" completely and was bended somewhat forward for a couple of days with terrible pain shooting down her legs also. She did not have herniated disc but she has a scoliosis since childhood and also spondylosis in her neck that was caused by doctors who gave her wrong kind of harness to wear for the scoliosis. To make the story short - since doctors messed her up she is VERY cautious any time when she goes to them and prefers natural remedies and alternative methods. She was helped by that chiropractor and that physio lady 100 % . She never had back pain again but she is very careful now to have correct posture is and how she sits and so on .
I am delighted to hear that you started with Yoga and so proud of you ,and ashamed myself that I am preaching it and not doing it
Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 09 Mar 2010, 16:55

Wow sorry to hear about your sis :( That definitely sounds a lot worse than whatever I have.
Since I've had two CRS's tell me my fissure is slowly healing, and my PCP thinks I have a lower back problem, I think I will just give it some time, some Yoga, some muscle relaxers, and see what happens before I run around to any more doctors. If that doesn't help maybe I'll get the MRI done and see a chiropractor or PT. If it helped your sister after all of her trouble then I don't see why it wouldn't help a relatively mild case like mine. My wife tells me that chiropractors "crack your knuckles," and I'm a big "crack addict" (I just lloooooove the feeling), so in the worst case I can at least have that done even if nothing else :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 09 Mar 2010, 21:25

NG,
A chiro might be able to diagnose and help your back. I had a chair massage tonight (free) at an event I attended, and the chiro did a EMG testing of the muscles in the neck and upper back with a computer b/4 we got started with the massage. The computer showed the tightness of the muscles with colors on the screen. Very interesting. Both my friend and I felt better after our respective massages!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46