Well I'm glad it's funny for some people

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Well I'm glad it's funny for some people

Postby stephanie » 13 Mar 2010, 08:30

I had skin tags removed around my butt hole last September. When I went back to the hospital for a check up last month, the surgeon seemed to take great delight in the fact I'd looked in the mirror to see I had a big tear on my anus.
He didn't properly sympathise with my condition, and instead wanted to have a good laugh and tried to reconstruct the situation in front of me for extra comic effect. (holding up an imaginary mirror)
I just thought I'd share this experience, because I can't be the only one. I was being serious because I'd been in terrible pain and didn't know why it wasn't healing properly. I've learned a great deal more here on this forum, e.g. the fact that the pain was probably from spasms. I thought it was just throbbing, like when you bruise yourself.
Anyway, I'm sure everyone in the world has examined their bum in the mirror if they're in pain. Isn't that human nature, to find out why it's hurting? What a tw*t.
He preferred to talk at me rather than listen to what I was trying to say. Thing is, there's another skin tag left that I'd like to have removed (if the fissure ever heals). So I'm going to have to return to this comedien and become a laughing stock again.
This time though, I'll say 'well I'm glad you find it such a good laugh'.
Ha.
stephanie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Well I'm glad it's funny for some people

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 Mar 2010, 11:54

WTF that's messed up! I've definitely looked in the mirror at my butt. In fact I've even had my wife take a look and snap a picture so I can get a better view :) When something hurts that bad it's most definitely human nature to want to see what the heck it is.
I can't believe any doctor would make light of the situation. Can't you change to a different surgeon when you have your next procedure?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby stephanie » 16 Mar 2010, 13:50

Yeah I think I will. I'm just afraid I'll end up with someone worse lol. I'll ask for a female doctor as well if it's possible.
I can see why it can be comical but at the time I was quite afraid and confused about what was going on down there! Maybe he was just trying to cheer me up, but he went about it in totally the wrong way. :roll:
stephanie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Mar 2010, 14:38

Is that doctor a general surgeon or a colorectal surgeon? Maybe he just doesn't see a lot of people with butt problems.
One thing that irks me is when coworkers and friends make dumb jokes about my butt problems. Some jokes are okay, but some are outright inconsiderate. Until you have a butt problem, you just think it's funny and don't realize the agony it causes. I'll admit to being the same way before I got my own fissure, so I can't say I totally blame them though.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 16 Mar 2010, 15:17

I agree NG, nobody can really understand the pain a fissure and other rectal issues causes unless of course, they have one! You could say i've heard all the jokes before "he's a pain in the a$$" "I heard it on the grapevine" (about my piles) "I heard your Girlfriend's name is "Emma Roids" etc etc... Funny to those that don't have the problems...
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Mar 2010, 15:39

The one I got today from a coworker who heard I might have to get surgery for my fissure was "oh I guess that DEPENDS" (Depends being a brand of adult diapers). Yes, because I suppose the risk of lifelong incontinence is simply hilarious :roll: :roll: :roll: If I'm incontinent after LIS at least I know whose desk I'm going to shit all over first :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 16 Mar 2010, 16:04

StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 16 Mar 2010, 20:16

NG, that's pretty funny!!! I never heard that "Emma Roids" joke. I think those are all pretty funny, but we know butt problems are not a laughing matter, especially when one's butt hurts!!!!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby juney » 17 Mar 2010, 17:38

stephanie, that's awful what your dr did...he shouldn't be making fun of you like that. i don't tell any of my work colleagues about my problems, only my family and closest friends. it's kind of a relief amongst them to be able to joke about butt pain, pooping, and anal surgery. kinda lightens my mood sometimes.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Fissulyna » 18 Mar 2010, 00:15

Of course we look at our butt !!!! If my throat hurts - I look at my throat ! If my eye hurts I go to the mirror to check whats up with the eye - why would the butt be something "else" and not looked at - HE IS AN IDIOT !!!!!!
I looked at my butt MULTIPLE times a day and after surgery absolutely had cleanliness inspections 5 times a day !!!!!
Next time he tries to be "funny" inform him that you find his behavior distasteful and unprofessional ! Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61