Diltiazem: cream or ointment?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Diltiazem: cream or ointment?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 18 Mar 2010, 01:40

I've been using it both inside and outside because I'm paranoid :) Still getting some side effects from diltiazem but they're not as noticeable as they used to be. I'm still undecided at this point as to whether diltiazem or nitro works better for me though. If I go by feeling it seems that nitro numbs the pain of pooing a little more Image
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 18 Mar 2010, 07:03

NG, I inserted the applicator and just squeezed until I felt the ointment internally. Good luck with it, and I hope you aren't dizzy with it any longer.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 18 Mar 2010, 08:26

Same as you NG, i've been applying just outside the anus but also poppping a bit up inside the rectum, didn't get an applicator with my ointment so the only way I can get it inside is with the good old finger :roll:
As for Nitro vs Diltiazem, the latter is doing more for me, although it doesn't quite relax the sphincter as much as i'd of hoped but still takes the pain down to a bare minimum, nitro on the other hand really slackens off the old muscle but doesn't take the pain down enough, the best thing for me on Diltiazem is that I don't get the throbbing headaches just a bit of dizziness which is a bit weird at first but i'll persevere with it
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 18 Mar 2010, 10:12

Yup I use the finger tactic too if I'm in a hurry. I think it probably works just as well. One reason I use a syringe is because I have a skin tag that sometimes make it less fun to push stuff up there with my finger. Sometimes the skin tag is swollen and sometimes it's not but either way I try to leave it alone when possible.
I still get the dizziness from diltiazem but part of that is probably because I 'm so paranoid about getting enough ointment up there, I always make sure to inject enough to cause side effects. So if I put in a big gob and didn't feel any side effects the last time around, then the next time I put in an even bigger gob so I know it's working :) I did the same thing with nitro, even after the initial headaches went away, all I did was put in more and more until I could feel the headache again. Dumb, I know haha.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 18 Mar 2010, 10:52

I hope your blood pressure isn't already low NG because Dilt lowers the BP a lot, just a thought with the dizziness you seem to be suffering with
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 22 Mar 2010, 15:18

Hey NG, hows it going, is the Dilt helping out?
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 23 Mar 2010, 01:43

Hey Steve, it's going alright, the diltiazem hasn't exactly cured the fissure, but it hasn't gotten any worse, either, so I can't complain :)
The fissure's currently in a holding pattern while a couple other things have come to the foreground -- getting another cortisone shot tomorrow for some longstanding chest pain I've had and my 6 month old son has pneumonia :( -- so gotta get those under control first before I do anything else fissure-related... I'm always in and out of the doctor's office, just for different things all the time haha.
How's it going on your side? Did you get that mess with the diltiazem and your appointment sorted out?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 23 Mar 2010, 05:45

NG and Steve,
You two guys are two peas in a pod right now!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Mar 2010, 01:19

LOL two peas in a very dodgy pod :) With one pea impatiently clamoring for LIS and the other pea cowering in fear at the prospect of LIS Image
Got another cortisone shot in my chest today and taking codeine for the upcoming episode of cortisone flare that inevitably always strikes. So at least I won't feel my butt too much for a few days.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 24 Mar 2010, 15:31

Hey NG, I'm glad the dilt is keeping your fissure in check, I seem to be making progress once again (after my little setback with the salad), BM's are easily passed with very little pain and the dull ache after finishing the BM is definitely less than before I started on the dilt so i'm remaining positive..
I still haven't managed to reschedule my appointment yet, i'm waiting for a cancellation otherwise it's looking like i'll be waiting a few more months!! on the whole, if things stay as they are and I can gain access to more dilt then waiting won't be a problem, still sticking to the diet as well, absolutely NO junk food, red meat or dairy, this is definitely the only way to manage a fissure..
StevePain
King Fissure