My soft poop diet

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

My soft poop diet

Postby StevePain » 26 Mar 2010, 15:14

Since having a fissure I quickly learnt that eating certain foods aggravate it so I quickly decided it was time to kick the junk into touch, here is what I eat on a daily basis:
Breakfast:
2-4 slices of wholemeal bread (toasted and lightly buttered*)
1 docusate sodium capsule
Elevensies:
2 pears (no specific variety)
Lunch:
Vegetable chowder or pea soup and 2 slices of dry wholemeal bread
Teatime:
I alternate between these 3 meals every day every week!
(1) Boiled or steamed veg with new potatoes and char grilled chicken
(2) Wholemeal sandwiches with wafer thin chicken slices and veg soup
(3) Vegetable chow mein with bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby sweetcorn, mushrooms, carrots and beansprouts
Between this I drink 1.5-2L of mineral water every day (essential)
Bedtime:
Sounds boring doesn't it? But eating these things keeps my stools soft and easy to pass, it was a process of elimination and lots of hard work and pain to find the right food that my fissure liked, but as long as I stick to this then "the enemy within" will remain manageable, i've strayed from this diet a few times only to get a "rude awakening" and believe me i'd rather cut off my own arm than fight the uncontrollable pain from an angry fissure! Image
I have to treat "the enemy within" like a friend, although you could say it's bullied me into it!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: My soft poop diet

Postby cherylk » 26 Mar 2010, 17:55

Steve,
Is teatime similar to dinner or supper here for us in the US?? I used to eat a turkey sandwich every day for lunch, but sometimes alternated with quinoa/grilled veggies. I was so tired of eating turkey sandwiches!!!! Then I switched to high fiber soups (Progresso) and toast for lunch and thought I had died and gone to heaven (something different). Have you lost weight by being on this restrictive diet?????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 27 Mar 2010, 02:23

Hey cheryl, teatime is at or around 17:00-18:00 hours here in the UK, some people could have it earlier but that's the way it is in my house, I must be losing weight due to the lack of calories but haven't yet weighed myself!
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby stephanie » 27 Mar 2010, 09:28

Awesome, thank you very much for posting this Steve, it helps me formulate my own diet plan.
I think we should all post the exact diet which works for us!
stephanie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby StevePain » 30 Mar 2010, 09:03

Since posting this diet i've introduced a few extras, at night I now eat plain crisps cooked in sunflower oil and 1 bar of chocolate, i'm doing this because I don't think i'm getting enough calories and have been feeling very weak and of low mood, going to see if this will improve the way I feel, last night I ate some crisps and chocolate and this mornings BM was ok, although I did go about 4 times but the level of pain was pretty much the same as always - manageable.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 30 Mar 2010, 18:10

Steve,
I don't know if you have Ensure over there, but I drank that when I was trying to gain weight, and now I see they have it as a pudding also. I always bought the type with added fiber.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 31 Mar 2010, 15:40

Oh my - do not use that oil Image Add coconut oil or olive oil - sunflower is junk oil Image !!!!
Also - chocolate can constipate people : (((
Add high calorie shakes !!!!! That is the best way to gain weight !!!! Go to any health-food store and buy nice "fattening" shake. Mix it with water though - not regular milk, or you might use goat milk or rice-milk. Anyhow - please be careful what you consume : ((((.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby StevePain » 01 Apr 2010, 16:01

Thanks for the advice Fiss, i'll get some shakes in, i'm guessing that the severe lack of calories and food that i'm consuming has contributed to my low moods and depression, i've always been a big eater and to go on a strict diet doesn't really agree with me, nevertheless i'm persevering, but gradually adding certain things back into my diet (over time)
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Apr 2010, 19:04

I think that pain is causing your bad mood : ((( and not having your "comfort food" is making it even worse : (((.
BUT - do not add anything yet :( , please be careful ! Remember that SINGLE bad poop can put you back allllllll the way from where you started :(
Let us know how "shakes" work : ) !!! Add some fiber in them - just for a good measure ; ))) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby StevePain » 02 Apr 2010, 12:01

Yes Fissy, i'm missing my comfort food, it's killing me upstairs (in my head) making me depressed and fed up, I just want this whole thing to go away, if only it was that easy!! long term suffering seems to be the norm for me, i'm beginning to wonder if god hates me...
StevePain
King Fissure