Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Postby Livestrong » 08 May 2010, 18:09

Hello to all. It's great I found this board. A great deal of helpful advice. I had a fissurectomy and sphincterotomy performed seven days ago. Attempting to manage without any pain meds other than tylenol OTC due to fear of constipation. Everyday was welcomed with improvement, however, today I experienced constipation and as a result severe pain for the entire day. Is this normal? I have been using fiber gummies and stool softeners and plenty of water. Today my wife purchased some dulcolax balance. Hopefully today is a minor setback and no damage was done. I go to see the surgeon for a post-op appt in two days.
Livestrong

Topics: 1

Re: Newbie

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 08 May 2010, 18:21

Hey there, I had a sphincterotomy (no fissurectomy however) 6 days ago myself. I still get moderate (sometimes severe but that's rare) pain after bowel movements as well. It does last a while, especially since I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and go #2 many, many times a day :( My pain is a soreness accompanied by a raw and tender feeling. It comes mostly (I'd say 80% of it) from the sphincteromy incision site.
If you had a fissurectomy, then I suppose it could be fissure pain too since I understand that they "freshen up" the fissure (basically open it up again) during that procedure.
What kind of stool softeners have you been taking? Dulcolax Balance is the same stuff as Miralax which works great for me and many others here. It could take a day or two to "kick in" though.
I also still get occasional bleeding, and it seems to be associated with when the pain is worse. Not sure if you get that too or what it means.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 08 May 2010, 18:25

Livestrong,
I wanted to say welcome.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Livestrong » 08 May 2010, 18:34

Thanks, the stool softeners I was taking are generic ducusate sodium 100mg. I never had bleeding issues prior to surgery but some mild bleeding post surgery which is understandable. Thanks again.
Livestrong

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 08 May 2010, 18:43

I think you'll find Dulcolax Balance (polyethylene glycol) to be far more effective than docusate sodium. Docusate sodium never really did much for me personally. Hopefully your symptoms ease soon.
Hope it's also of some comfort that I'm 6 days post-op, even if it's lateral internal sphincterotomy only, and also having substantial pain :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 08 May 2010, 18:45

Miralax has helped many here who are part of this little group. Docusate sodium never really did much for me either. Important to not be constipated during this time of your healing.
cherylk
VIP

Postby Livestrong » 08 May 2010, 18:59

Thanks to the both of you. I got a little carried away last night and ate three slices of chicken pizza for my daughter's bday. I've learned no mistepps. I'm a cyclist (racer) and usually eat pretty well. Hopefully, I can resume riding soon. Have a good evening.
Livestrong

Postby cherylk » 08 May 2010, 19:23

That is a great foundation that Lance Armstrong started. Now that I am aware of what they stand for, I have seen so many people wearing the yellow wrist bands! Hopefully, you can get healed and back on your bike.
cherylk
VIP