Suggestions on the itching?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Suggestions on the itching?

Postby mjfarrell5959 » 09 Jun 2010, 14:50

OK, I saw the doc a couple weeks ago and they said I had two fissures, one small one at 6 o'clock (if my penis is 12 o'clock) and a bigger one at 9 o'clock. They gave me hyrdo cortisone suppositories to take once every night, told me to stay on a high fiber diet, take sitz baths and stool softeners.
Anyhow, I have things down to a pretty good science so far. Drink at least eight glasses of water per day, take Benefiber at night as well as four stool softeners and am eating better. I have one BM first thing in the morning and the last few have been very good, no blood in the bowl, very little on the wipes and no pain.
However, the itching is unbelievable. After each BM is it amazing so I jump into the shower and put the nozzle "up in that area" to sooth the itch. Then I dry very well and go on my way. A few times during the day the itch flares up and I do the shower/dry thing again.
Today was a little different. The itching was beyond amazing and I did everything I could not to scratch and it worked but I think I wiped a tad aggressively because it felt so good against the itch and then this afternoon the itch was back very badly.
Any suggestions for this? I hated the pain and blood of the fissure and am happy that has subsided for now and I will continue to stick to my plan, but the itching hasn't gotten under control yet. I assume it's a healing itch because I am getting better, but it makes me want to scratch and rip everything open again.
I was told to keep it dry and use as few creams as possibly by my CRS but I have used lidocaine a few times when I had to. Any other suggestions to stop this horrible itch?
mjfarrell5959
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: Suggestions on the itching?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 09 Jun 2010, 15:09

Hydrocortisone usually works pretty good for itching from all kinds of sources -- maybe get some topical hydrocortisone and try it around the anus? There's also an OTC topical analgesic called Dibucaine (it's sold as Nupercainal here in the US) that's used for anorectal pain, but perhaps it could suppress itching as well. I've used it for pain and it was mildly effective but never had an itching problem so I can't say if it actually does anything there or not. Also there's an ointment called Calmoseptine that's made specifically for anal discharge/itching.
Does the itching feel like it's coming from inside or outside the anus?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 09 Jun 2010, 15:21

Stick with the shower routine, I find it gives good relief, also, if your using wipes instead of TP, make sure they are alcohol and fragrance free, I only use wipes now and they are enriched with chamomile and aloe vera, I also part my anus and try to wipe (dab) as far up inside as possible to eliminate any fecal matter that is lingering in the area, it will sting/burn for a while afterwards but definitely soothes and helps with the itching.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 09 Jun 2010, 15:57

Cotton balls with Balneol lotion might provide some soothing relief.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46