Sphincterotomy and Hemmorhoidectomy four days ago ...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Sphincterotomy and Hemmorhoidectomy four days ago ...

Postby StevePain » 09 Aug 2010, 01:11

I'd love to get mountain biking, I also like running and weight lifting but haven't been able to participate in running for quite some years, when my fissure was in hiding I used to do some weights but nothing too heavy.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 09 Aug 2010, 01:11

I guess it's just a matter of time before I hit the track again, in saying that though I like to spend a lot of time in my garden, something that I'm very keen on, I recently re-designed my front garden from scratch, obviously I only did this during days when my fissure would allow me, hopefully once I'm healed I'll be spending a lot more time in there..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Philber » 09 Aug 2010, 08:23

Just keep thinking about what it is going to be like to be able to plan your days (or not plan your days) without giving any thought at all to fissure pain or bathroom routines. I know what you mean - activities that required standing around or bending down (like gardening, or looking after my pool) would require me to find a time that my fissure did not hurt. I couldn't spend Saturday mornings cleaning the pool like I once did, because mornings became impossible for me to do stuff like that.
Soon you will be doing whatever you want whenever you want with no regard to whether it suits your butt. How nice is that?
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby StevePain » 09 Aug 2010, 08:43

It's a great thought Phil!!
Mornings are the worst, cannot do anything until the bathroom routine is completely over, hopefully that will become a thing of the past for me soon, my wife says that the bathroom is my second home because of the amount of time I spend in there, most guys spend a lot of time in their shed or workshop, not me, my place is the bathroom..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 09 Aug 2010, 09:31

Steve,
Being in the bathroom is better than spending a lot of time in a bar!! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Philber » 17 Aug 2010, 20:04

I am now three weeks since my surgery.
After about Day 14, I felt nearly 100%. I had no pain, no discharge and BMs did not hurt at all. I went back to work and resumed most of my normal activities.
Yesterday, I felt some mild pain from the surgery site, for most of the day. Nothing terrible, but after several days of no pain at all, it was strange to feel some discomfort down there again. I figured it was just that I overdid it a bit with chores over the previous weekend.
Today, I felt the same mild pain for most of the day. My first BM was uneventful, but my second BM was accompanied by quite a bit of blood. There was blood in the toilet and quite a lot on the toilet paper. I had no pain with the BM, and very little straining. This was the first time I have had any blood during a BM for about a week.
I am a little nervous and discouraged, because things were going so well up until yesterday. First there was some mild pain, and now mild pain and blood. I hope that nothing is wrong, but I cannot help but think I am going in the wrong direction now.
I am trying to think of what could have caused this setback, but I really do not have any ideas. I have taken it very easy today, and I hope that tomorrow will be better. I am 90% sure that it is nothing serious, but the 10% that I am not sure is really bothering me.
Philber
Salt Bather

Postby StevePain » 19 Aug 2010, 12:04

Phil, I can understand your concerns, I've been having a few doubts myself the past week when pain goes from mild to moderate and then sometimes no pain, it's a strange healing process down there, I've not had bad bleeding since day 3 but have had spotting for over a week, not concerned though as I believe it's part of the surgery.
I'm wondering if your blood is from the hemmorhoidectomy not the LIS site, since they cut the hemmies off which is more invasive than LIS IMO, maybe you aggravated one of the wounds with a BM, or had one to many BM's in a day, just as long as it's not loads of blood and that typical fissure pain.
Good luck and keep positive.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 19 Aug 2010, 16:30

Oh no Phil...Did you call your doctor? I hope things get better soon.

Postby cherylk » 20 Aug 2010, 15:49

Phil,
Hope you are feeling better. The butt area is sensitive and takes a long while to heal because of its constant use (and inability to take a long rest).
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Philber » 21 Aug 2010, 06:36

Thanks for all the support guys. I love it that you're here.
Whatever it was, it went away. Steve, I think you're right about the blood - it probably came from one of the hemmies that was removed. The pain was from the LIS site, but I think it was just part of the healing process. As you say Cherly, it does take a long time to really heal.
The good news is that at four weeks out, I now feel pretty much 100%. No pain, no blood, no discomfort. I now have 2-3 BMs per day, but they are uneventful.
On Monday, having taken a couple of easy bike rides around the neighbourhood, I called my surgeon to ask if I could go mountain biking. He said go ahead - there was nothing I could do that would hurt my butt. Accordingly, I have gone mountain biking just about every day this week with no problems at all. On Wednesday, I went mountain biking and played 18 holes of my golf with my son. All of it without any pain or discomfort whatsoever.
In short, I feel normal again. If I had to have LIS or hemmie surgery again (perish the thought), I would do it again today. It was brutal - no doubt about it - but after a few weeks of misery, I have made a full recovery and I feel really good for the first time in years.
I know that I am lucky to have done so well. To those of you for whom surgery was not as successful, I hope that you eventually recover completely and find freedom from the pain. To those of you who may be considering surgery, don't be afraid. Generally, it is successful, and if it can eliminate the pain then it is well worth doing.
Thank you all again for your support and well wishes. It really does mean a lot.
Philber
Salt Bather