Newbie considering LIS surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Newbie considering LIS surgery

Postby StevePain » 05 Aug 2010, 13:43

Hey mm, I noticed that you said you have about 1 fissure a year and have recently just developed another, have you been tested or examined for crohns disease? Just a thought.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby mm92599 » 05 Aug 2010, 16:21

never been tested for crohns. what test would they do for that? I have had a colonoscopy and a handful of sigmoidoscopies. Not sure if that would show anything.
mm92599
Salt Bather

Topics: 25

Postby cherylk » 05 Aug 2010, 16:55

My son has CD. Usually ab pain and diarrhea are present if a peson is suffering from Crohn's Disease. He had 3 ulcers in his colon, diagnosed via colonoscopy.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby mm92599 » 05 Aug 2010, 17:01

I've never really had chronic diarrhea or ab pain and my colonoscopy was clean except for a few polyps. I'm considering LIS surgery, but I don't know of any reputable surgeons in the southwest area of the country who are particularly good at this procedure. I could go to Mayo in Phoenix and there is one surgeon in Dallas by the name of Dr. Cloud that I have been corresponding with, but I don't know much about him. Anyone have any recommendations?
mm92599
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 05 Aug 2010, 17:34

I'd probably choose Mayo Rochester, but I realize that is quite a distance for you. Maybe go back to Mayo in Phoenix???
cherylk
VIP

Postby PaulsPain » 05 Aug 2010, 19:47

I thought I would mention that Crohn's can affect any area between the mouth to anus. It can solely be isolated to the anus. This is what my CRS told me and he has had cases. He calls it "anal Crohn's". I myself may be in this boat. I have had multiple fissures and a fistula. I don't have ab pain or diarrhea which seem to be the classic symptoms.
I had surgery in Jan of this year. Still not fully healed. So I am now going to push to try to completely rule out or confirm Crohn's. First question I had in waking up from surgery was "Do I have a family history of Crohn's disease?". I had biospsies in the anal area looking for granulomas. That came back ok.
I think an experienced CRS knows what to look for also. If the fissures are more like ulcers then there may be an underlying issue going on. I was told most fissures look like a "paper cut".
Anyways, best of luck in the search for a good CRS to work with. The Mayo of Rochester is superb but it would be a long haul for you.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby mm92599 » 05 Aug 2010, 19:53

I have an appt. at Mayo Phoenix in two weeks, but the surgeon that I'm scheduled to see is very new and very young. Graduated med school in 1999, and I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I'd probably feel more comfortable if he had more time under his belt. On the other hand, the surgeon on Dallas has over 25 years of experience and says that he does about 30 LIS surgeries per year. It's tough cause my problem with fissures has historically been recurrent and not chronic, non-healing fissures. My fissures have, up to this point, always healed, but then recurred after several months or a year. But, I always have evacuation issues and so every day I live in fear that a bad bm will cause another tear. It's a miserable way to live.
mm92599
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 06 Aug 2010, 04:11

Mm,
Oftentimes the young docs are great because they have all the latest training!
Paul,
In what state do you live? I live in Central Illinois.
cherylk
VIP

Postby PaulsPain » 06 Aug 2010, 07:28

Cheryl-
I am up in Minnesota - Twin Cities area.
Paul
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby cherylk » 06 Aug 2010, 10:39

I love Minnesota, Paul, especially Rochester!! You are so close to the Mayo Clinic!! Image
cherylk
VIP