Just Joined

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Just Joined

Postby Deleted User 428 » 10 Sep 2010, 00:44

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and boy am I glad I found it. I have been suffering from an AF since April of this year so I'm sort of a babe in the woods compared to some of the folks here. Mine showed up after a nasty reaction to an antibiotic given to me after dental surgery. I ignored it until about a month ago when it looked like this thing was not going to clear itself up. I was sure I was dying of something dreaded until my GP told me (without looking) that I had an anal fissure. Still convinced that I was dying I went to a well respected CRS in town. He did look and confirmed the fissure. I have been using Diltiazem for about 3 weeks now and things seem to be getting better. They weren't getting better until about 12 days into the ointment and then the daily pain and burning started to subside. I have had a little setback over the last couple days with a little pinching and a small amount of blood so I'm a little discouraged today but I'm nowhere near the pain I was having just a little over a week ago. Hopefully that's a good sign.
In addition to the Diltiazem I have changed my diet completely, take ducosate sodium tablets daily, tons of water and Metamucil. I'm also trying the squatting thing which I kind of like. I've started weaning myself off the ducosate sodium because I'm afraid of getting dependent. Is that a valid fear? I'm only taking 1 a day now and was planning on stopping completely.
Anyway, glad to be here and I have seen my story in each and every post I have read. Hope everyone is healing!
Deleted User 428

Re: Just Joined

Postby cherylk » 10 Sep 2010, 04:48

Small,
I had no trouble stopping the docusate sodium after starting Miralax instead. You could also try adding Benefiber, which I also take in addition to Metamucil.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 10 Sep 2010, 07:29

Hey smallChange,
I got my fissure in February, I believe. I saw blood, but didn't have the worst pain until May. I was told I had hems. by my doctor. I went to a GI and he said it sounded like a fissure and sent me to a CRS who couldn't do an exam because I was in too much pain but I had an external hemm that was big and he said he didn't see a fissure, so he sent me home with nothing but to take baths often. I went back in June and saw the PA in the same office and I guess because of all the calls I had made to their office, they had written "fissure" in my records. He asked if the doctor I had seen in May had gave me anything and I said no. He sent me home with the diltiazem and I have been using it for about 6 weeks now and it has helped. I have had some set backs too. Like you said it's not as painful as before I started using it but still lets me know things arent healed yet. I have another appointment in 2 weeks and I guess I will be discussing LIS with my CRS.
I hope the ointment works for you :) Cherylk has healed using it.
I also worry about the long term use of the stool softeners, but have read others on here who have stopped them after healing and had no problems.
I have been taking the Colace too for 7 months. It was the only one that my PCP doctor said was ok to take. He said to only take the miralax if I had too, but I have read that many other doctors have said it's ok to take the miralax long term... I just keep taking mine right now because I don't want to deal with the pain at this point.

Postby Deleted User 428 » 10 Sep 2010, 08:57

Thanks Dawn and CherylK.
I haven't tried Miralax, only colace and metamucil. I didn't take any metamucil yesterday. I thought the bulk was maybe too much right now so I thought I'd try a day without. This morning was again pain and blood free so I'm happy with that. I may buy some Miralax for "just in case". How do yo know you need miralax until its too late??
I go back to the CRS in about 3 weeks for a checkup. He told me that it's a small percentage of patients that get long term healing from non-surgical treatments when these things go chronic. My daughter is an RN here and she knows this doctor. She said the hospital had to pretty much "mortgage the farm" to get him here because he is considered one of the best in this field. I trust him and he isn't really pushing the surgery. He wants me to keep on the diltiazem for 2-3 months to see how it goes. I feel I have a good surgeon on my hands if I need to go that way though.
Sorry, I haven't filled out my profile yet but will soon. In case you care, I'm a 48 yr old male and I live in the US - Washington State. That's why my responses are way behind yours.
Thanks again.
Deleted User 428

Postby Guest » 10 Sep 2010, 15:42

Hey SC,
You are very welcome!!
I know what you mean about the bulk. Metamucil caused me to tear more at one point because it was just too big, event while using the colace. I don't take any fiber supplements. I try to eat around 20 grams but I have to take about 4 colace a day.
I would be very careful about reducing your Stool Softners though because I've had re-tears but maybe if you eat plenty of vegs, and fruit that won't happen.
Most people on here seem to like miralax. I have tried it and it worked great, but I just never kept using it because of my doctor.
That's great that you have a really good CRS and he is supporting you healing without the surgery and your daughter has some knowledge about him... and I have read very little about people healing permanently with the ointment after becoming chronic but I believe it is possible.
My daughter is an interning for radiology technologist and has been at the hospital that my CRS works at this week. I told her to keep her ears open, lol... I have an appointment next week...
I'm hoping she puts my mind at ease with whatever decision I have to make about healing this fissure.
I wish you the best of luck :)