possible fistula?? Please Help!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

possible fistula?? Please Help!

Postby Guest » 17 Sep 2010, 09:22

Ok so today I decided to have a look at my skin tag because it's really hurting and swollen since my exam. Theres a blister looking thing on the tag. It looks white in color like there may be puss? I talked to my crs's office and the lady who I talked to is getting a hold of the doctor. She said it may be a fistula. Im freaking out! Why couldn't they see this on Wednesday when I was examined?? Please anyone who has has a fistula, tell me how they treat this..

Re: possible fistula?? Please Help!

Postby PaulsPain » 17 Sep 2010, 11:23

Hey Dawn-
Please wait till you hear back from the doctor before getting to worried. The people at the desk can cause a lot of worry sometimes with their off the cuff diagnosis over the phone.
I guess the main thing would be asking myself is it different than before. If you have looked at it in the past and it is drastically different then it would be concerning. But if have never studied it before maybe that has always been its normal appearance. Plus maybe in the past if you have studied it maybe it wasn't irrtated and swollen? Ok, enough postulating. :D
I just posted in your other thread about symptoms.
First I would recommend reading the "sticky: Fistula Surgery" at the top of the "Considering surgery or already had it?" forum. This has a lot of good information.
My experience: I now have had two fistulas treated. One in Jan with my LIS and the other last Friday.
The first they treated by "laying it open". So basically you can think of a fistula as a tunnel. If this tunnel is not in the muscle or deep they cut it open. You can think of it as taking the roof off. Then this left open to heal from the inside out.
The second. I am still not sure what my complete treatment will be. I can just tell what has been "installed". So this fistula I assume is in the muscle or deep. They don't want to cut the muscle for obvious reasons. So they installed a loop of string that passes through the fistula into the abscess cavity and then back out. So I basically can feel a knot down in the area. My surgeon called it a drain. I assume this keeps the fistula open to help heal. Now I have read various things they can do so I will hopefully find out more next Wednesday at my follow-up.
Well I better get back to work....
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Re: possible fistula?? Please Help!

Postby Guest » 17 Sep 2010, 14:31

Hey Paul,
I have looked at the tag before when I clean it but I've never looked at it when it was this swollen. It looks like a little white blister.I haven't noticed any drainage though. I don't know, maybe I'm freaking out too much, but they called me in prescriptions for antibiotics even though my crs saw me on weds. already and didn't think it could be anything, but it's new and that's what scares me.... I think this whole fissure thing has made me a nervous wreck. I have cirofloxan and metronidazol 500mgs each I think.
I started reading side effects and that kind of worries me too. This fissure has really made me paranoid and ocd.
Thank you for your help. I hope your situation gets over with soon! Please let me know about your follow up appointment. Was it a really painful procedure? How in the world have you been so strong through all of this?
I suppose if I really have an infection, they will take care of it when I have surgery in October with the Lis and skin tag removal? Is it safe to wait until then if it is?