How I healed (after never thinking I would)

Finally - back to a normal, pain-free life

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

How I healed (after never thinking I would)

Postby FissureManaged » 06 Nov 2018, 19:18

I suffered from truly brutal and relatively deep fissures for over a year. I'll spare you the details as you have heard them before - felt like passing glass, long time spent in the loo shaking and sweating, etc - it truly had a horrible impact on my life. I had tried all the usual remedies including Nitro cream, warm baths, diet changes, etc. The fissure might heal temporarily, but would open up if I so much as blinked the wrong way. Honestly - they were so long lived and so terribly debilitating - and I seemed unable to improve the situation, I put myself on the list for surgery (however reluctantly).
This was about 5-8 years ago, when PEG was just becoming widely available. When I first discovered it, I read as much as I could about it (it's effects, including level of dependence after long term use). Anyway - I thought I'd give it a go. I was on it for about a month when I saw my proctologist and told him about it. He asked me what it was (!), and suggested I keep him informed as to how it went.
Anyhow - I found the fissures would go away while I was on it after a week or two of use, but then return almost immediately when I went off it. So I was pretty much resigned to being on it for life - and indeed stayed on it for at least 6 - 12 months.
After 6 or more straight months, I very very slowly started weaning myself off of it. Essentially I went from the full daily dose to completely off of it over the course of about 8 - 12 months. I found if I moved too fast off it, it would re-open, but very very very slowly over time, I was healing.
Finally, after over a year of being on it and *very very* slowly going off of it, I find myself in a position where I am essentially cured. It takes a pretty serious bowl "event" to re-open it - in which case I go back on the full dose for a week or so, then wean myself off of it for the following week or so. That happens rarely now - maybe once or twice a year - most commonly when I am traveling. But I can absolutely report that I am in a position now where I am basically 100% cured. And honestly - I have to tell you - I was in such a bad state I thought I was totally beyond hope.
So - the lesson I learned was that I needed to be on this a very long time (half a year or more) to fully heal the deep fissures. And then I had to come off of it even more slowly to develop the strength and have the flexibility return so as not to create a new problem. But I am one very happy camper now - and (thank goodness) - no surgery.
I know you have heard stories like this - but I wanted to share mine in case something in it is helpful to one or more sufferers.
FissureManaged
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: How I healed (after never thinking I would)

Postby Yellowmango » 15 Nov 2018, 04:16

Could you plz elaborate what PEG is ?
Yellowmango
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: How I healed (after never thinking I would)

Postby FissureManaged » 15 Nov 2018, 17:26

Sorry - PEG is PEG 3350 (https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a603032.html).

It is a laxative that does (apparently) not create dependency and (apparently) is safe for long term use.

It is really easy to take (a tasteless white powder that dissolves in water).

And it is available under a lot of different brand names - including Miralax.
FissureManaged
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2