hi new please can anyone offer advice?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

hi new please can anyone offer advice?

Postby fairy » 10 Nov 2010, 09:45

hi im so glad i found this...for years i have suffered from hemmoroids since my eldest son was born 19 years ago. they flare up, bleed and are really painful for about a week then go for a bit again ( i ahve five)...a few weeks ago i thought i was having a flare up but the pain was really bad, i cant sit down, walk very far and its agony and i have a really high pain threshold...i am bleeding and i looked and it looks like either a hemmoroid has split or as i think i have an anal fissure..its a deep cut and quite big...i use lactulose every night as medication im on for other -problems makes me constipated the lactulose helps and i have been on it for years now...i went to the gp today and he wouldnt look and has prescribed glycerol trinitrate (i think got to get it tomorrow) will it help? i just want the pain to go away for a bit..i cant go on the bus and walking my youngest to school is so painful...any ideas anyone? i eat a fibre rich diet.....
fairy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: hi new please can anyone offer advice?

Postby StevePain » 10 Nov 2010, 10:06

Hi fairy, it sounds like you have a fissure, I'm surprised that your GP wouldn't take a look Image but then prescribes Rectogesic (Glyceryl Trinitrate), which is for fissures.
I would give the Rectogesic a try for 6-8 weeks and during that time get rid of the lactulose and ask your GP for Movicol which is a much better laxative, also up your intake of water, if the Recto doesn't work ask for Diltiazem (Anoheal), it's a toss up between the two for most people on here but I preferred Diltiazem, if these treatments don't help then ask for a referral to see a CRS at your local hospital who will properly examine you and give a more accurate diagnosis, hopefully you'll of only recently developed a fissure so it will be acute (easier to heal), if you've had it for years it will be chronic (much harder to heal).
Good Luck
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 Nov 2010, 13:31

+1 for everything that Steve said :) If you do indeed have a fissure (meaning someone has seen the cut and confirmed it's a fissure), then glyceryl trinitrate (also known as nitroglycerin) is indeed the right way to go. There are other options too as Steve says, but what works best for an individual is largely a trial and error process. After a while these things do become harder to heal, so definitely tackle it as much as you can right now.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby afugh!! » 11 Nov 2010, 14:53

Are you getting enough fiber in your diet?20-30 grams of fiber in your diet plus what these guys are suggesting and tell us how things go.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19