Also 2 days post op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Also 2 days post op

Postby Deleted User 437 » 04 Dec 2010, 12:47

Hello everyone,
I guess there are three of us on here two days post LIS. I wish you guys and everyone else on here the best with their recoveries. My specific procedure was LIS, and cleaning up and cauterizing the fissure. Time at the hospital was minimal, but I have to admit I was scared as hell. Everyone there was really sensitive and supportive. I haven't had any serious pain, just a constant lingering soreness that gets worse if I stand up, walk around, or try and sit down. It did subside a little until this morning when I had my first BM. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but the soreness level is back to where it was probably the night of the surgery when I went to bed. I took another Percocet but I've decided not to do that again unless it's absolutely necessary. Overall I'm pleased so far with the results. No fissure pain, just this soreness and discomfort at the incision site.
I'll be sure to keep posting on the details, and feel free to ask me any questions. Also, when did the soreness/discomfort really start to subside and allow you to sit walk around or sit with minimal discomfort?
Thanks
Deleted User 437

Re: Also 2 days post op

Postby StevePain » 04 Dec 2010, 12:53

Congrats on the LIS..
I had soreness and was unable to sit down for about a month and a half, it then became more bearable and to this day (4 months post-op) is still getting better, that's just my experience though, we are all different.
Good Luck with the recovery and take it easy.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Deleted User 437 » 04 Dec 2010, 12:58

Thanks Steve,
Your posts on here have been extremely helpful and encouraging.
Deleted User 437

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 04 Dec 2010, 20:45

Hey Fiberup, I had problems sitting for maybe a month to month and a half as well. I'm not sure how much of that can be solely attributed to LIS, though, as I did have an abscess drainage operation 2 weeks after LIS. If memory serves, I think most folks can sit alright after the first 1-2 weeks (albeit with some discomfort) and feel pretty good after about a month. Don't be shy about taking painkillers if needed, but most folks don't need them for too long. Hope all goes well over these next few weeks for ya!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 04 Dec 2010, 23:09

Hey Fiberup,
I didn't set for a couple of weeks. I don't know if I could have... I just didn't but a couple of days before my three week mark, I was driving with no real pain.
By week 6 all the soreness went away.
I had the same procedure as you along with a skin tag removed- that may have caused me to be sore a little longer.
Congrats on your new butt!

Postby Cagirl » 05 Dec 2010, 09:24

Hello Fiberup, and congrats to us three on our new hineys. Hope your healing is going well.
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Deleted User 437 » 05 Dec 2010, 11:45

Thanks guys,
Feeling pretty good this a.m. Some pain immediately following the morning BM, but some Advil and a bath took care of that. Also I have some pretty good seepage going....looks like blood mixed with something, but surprisingly no blood with BMs. The only other problem is what I would describe as spasm of the voluntary sphincter muscle. I don't know if it's a
mental issue, but sometimes after I pee, or even in the middle of the night when I'm half asleep, the thing will just contract, and cause me to wince a bit. I think I experienced this when I first went on the nitro ointment. It's not too bad, just kind of a nuisance.
Anyways, thanks again for all your past posts and advice...This place provides something it would be almost impossible to get anywhere else.
Deleted User 437

Postby Guest » 05 Dec 2010, 13:05

Hey fiberup,
I don't know if you read any of my post but I did have spasms for a short time after my surgery. They called me in valium and that did the trick. If you think you may be having spasms still, that may be something to consider?!

The leakage, a little blood all sounds normal to me...

Postby Deleted User 437 » 05 Dec 2010, 14:19

Dawn,
They did prescribe me Valium, but I haven't taken it since the day of surgery, so I'll take some and hope that clears it up. And congrats on your recovery!! About how long was it until your seepage stopped?
Deleted User 437

Postby Guest » 05 Dec 2010, 16:42

Fiberup,
I still get mild leakage at almost 7 weeks. I have to rinse a few times during the day after a bm. It has gradually been getting better. I think Ng said his lasted 2-3 months. I had somewhat of a discharge after my surgery that worried me but went away after a few weeks. I think the drainage is from the wound with that and the other is from stool( yuck, I know). I was a little worried about infection because it had a smell but that wasn't the case. I Just rinsed often, air dry or blow dry so it didn't cause more irritation
At my 4 week follow up appointment, I got the "ok" on using some vaseline and that helps with the irritation.
I know everyone's different w/ this...Some don't have it at all but just don't worry if it takes a while.
The valium will definitely help with any spasms. It also helps you to relax. I tensed up really bad after my surgery when having a bm. I was scared to death something was going to happen and it really helped me to relax a little.
I took a couple a day for the first week, then I just took 1/2 a pill in the morning before a bm after my spasms stopped. I think the spasms stopped after about a week on them though.