Does a skin tag mean you will need LIS?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Does a skin tag mean you will need LIS?

Postby Soreguy » 27 Dec 2010, 02:19

I have consistently come across medical resources saying Sentinel Piles(skin tags) are a trait of chronic fissures. And that chronic fissures are likely of needing surgery, so I am wondering if anyone here has heard of anyone with a skin tag having there fissure healed without surgery?
Here is one of the resources: http://www.indiasurgeons.com/lectures/fissure_in_ano.htm
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Does a skin tag mean you will need LIS?

Postby Guest » 27 Dec 2010, 06:37

I had a skin tag prior to any AF. The skin tag removal is supposed to be a simple operation (and normally is), a bit of pain but with care will heal fine. I, sadly, did not know the 'care' routine and mine didn't heal correctly leading me down a route I wouldn't recommend. If you have a skin tag get the doc to take a look that might be all it is. The article you linked to just says if there is a AF an associated skin tag is common not skin tag = AF for definite. So you may not require LIS but a more simple procedure. Hope that calms you, I know what its like and your mind goes in to overdrive convincing you of the worst.

Postby happyass » 27 Dec 2010, 22:52

i don't think so.
however, i do have a skin tag. and it has grown since 08.
it has grown to the point where it has worried me so much.
when i have LIS in january, i am having it removed and it will be sent off to the lab for review. just to make sure that it is nothing more.
i was confused if papillae and skin tags were the same but they are and they are not.
after my appt today, i told the CRS that i was more scared of having the skin tag removed and she told me that i didn't have to. that i could leave it there and deal with it later.
hmmm...
i think i will take my chances on the pain now and the procedure all together and just get it taken care of now. i just hope that i can do well and heal it properly.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 28 Dec 2010, 00:05

Hey there,
I had a skin tag removed with my LIS but didn't have to have it removed to heal the fissure. I asked if leaving the skin tag could prevent the fissure from healing properly after LIS and was told no. Many people have lis and leave their skin tags and heal the fissure. So I would imagine a fissure that would heal without LIS can still leave a tag.

Postby Soreguy » 28 Dec 2010, 02:57

split wrote:The article you linked to just says if there is a AF an associated skin tag is common not skin tag = AF for definite. So you may not require LIS but a more simple procedure. Hope that calms you, I know what its like and your mind goes in to overdrive convincing you of the worst.

I think you misunderstood the article, I will highlight the parts I was referring to:
The changes which develops in a chronic fissure are -
· Thickening of the edge of the ulcer.
· Develpoment of an oedematous tag of skin at its lower end (sentinel piles)
· Hypertrophy of the anal papilla at its upper end .

A chronic fissure thus has four typical features -
(1) A boat shaped ulcer with indurated edges.
(2) Fibres of internal sphincter forms the floor.
(3) A rounded swelling (hypertrophid anal papilla) at its upper end.
(4) A tag of skin at its lower end (sentinel piles).

In chronic fissure , irritation and discharge which soils the underclothing are present . A swollen skin tag be felt outside the anus (sentinel piles).

In chronic fissure the presence of a sentinel piles is noted.

A hypertrophid anal papilla may be felt at he upper end of the fissure in a chronic case.

Features indicating chronicity and the need for operation – A long continuous or intermittent history of pain obviously suggests a chronic lesion is present. On examination the findings that indicate chronicity are a large sentinel tag of skin, induration on the edge of the fissure and the exposure of the internal sphincter in the floor of the fissure. When these signs are present a lasting cure is unlikely to be achieved without operation.

Operative Treatment - A large sentinel pile with induration of the edges of the ulcer, exposure of the internal sphincter fibres in the floor and the presence of hypertrophid anal papilla are indication for operation. A large haemorrhoids, fibrous polyp or a subcutaneous fistula make it unlikely that treatment other than surgery is going to be useful.

Although in contradiction to the the above:
In Conclusion - Acute fissure in ano should be managed medically. Chronic fissure in ano has a 50% chance of cure by medical management and hence should be attempted first.

Soreguy
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 28 Dec 2010, 03:28

Sorry if I have not understood your point. I don't know your history so forgive me if my assumption is incorrect. Your title asks 'Does a skin tag mean you will need LIS?' my reply was
a. pointing out the article tells you that an AF can be associated with a skin tag (the AF and skin tag combo will probably require surgery),
b. my personal experience was to have a skin tag with no AF (eventually it lead that way but due to complications). At no point did my CRS suggest/disscuss LIS for a skin tag.
If you do have more than a skin tag please accept my apology, your post did not say. Image

Postby Soreguy » 28 Dec 2010, 03:31

Thats okay split I should of been more clear, I just wanted to know if anyone has healed a fissure that also had a skin tag without surgery.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 28 Dec 2010, 07:05

I did.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Soreguy » 28 Dec 2010, 23:01

cherylk wrote:I did.

Thanks, that gives me some hope I wont be needing surgery!
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 29 Dec 2010, 11:17

How long have you had your fissure soreguy?