New member looking for support

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New member looking for support

Postby callmecrazy » 10 Jan 2011, 21:22

Hi everyone, as the title states, I'm new here and I'm looking for support.
First, a little about me - I am a 30 year old female and I have suffered from fissures for years. I originally went to a rectal surgeon in 2007 that I did not have much confidence in. When he told me I had a fissure, I asked a lot of questions and he just handed me a pamphlet. I tried all of the topical ointments he could come up with, but nothing worked. Finally, on my last visit with him, he told me to schedule surgery on my way out. I scheduled that surgery in Dec of 2009, but didn't feel confident. I realized that the first step to a successful surgery would be to have confidence in my surgeon. For that reason, I cancelled my surgery. That surgeon is now out of practice. (Shocking...)
Since then, I had one bad flare up last year that included massive amounts of blood at one point. I knew this wasn't right, and I just figured I had a hemorrhoid that ruptured (which would be a first for me as I've never had them before). So, I researched rectal surgeons and found a local doctor that could get me in quickly. After a rectal exam and colonoscopy it was determined that I didn't have hemorrhoids, but instead had enlarged papillae at the internal ends of my fissures. I should also note that I have two fairly large skin tags at the outer ends of the fissures. The surgeon was fabulous as he sat with me and explained the procedures that needed to be performed. He drew pictures of my issues and answered every question, no matter how small, I could think of on the spot.
So, this is where I need support. I have surgery scheduled for this Friday, January 14th. I will be having a sphincterotomy as well as an anoplasty (also referred to as an advancement flap procedure, where two flaps of skin will be transferred from elsewhere to 'fix' the two large fissures). The surgeon informed me that I will be sent home with a catheter in the wound to feed pain medicine for the week, and that I will be out of work for at least 2 weeks. He also said it could take months to feel "normal" again.
Has anyone had this done? I am so freaked out about it all - the pain, the recovery, the anesthesia. Any information, experiences, anything that someone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
If possible, due my level of anxiety, please don't tell me what I'm doing is wrong. The decision has been made. I just need something, anything, to get me through this Friday.
Thank you all in advance.
Last edited by callmecrazy on 12 Jan 2011, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar error
callmecrazy
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: New member looking for support

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2011, 07:24

Hey there,
I didn't have the procedure you are getting but have read of a few others on this board who have. I had LIS and a skin tag removed in October of 2009.
I understand your fears. I was very scared and worried before my surgery. It's worked out really well for me and I'm glad I had it done.
From what I've read, your procedure is a bit more complicated then just having LIS and will be a little rougher recovery. I think your surgeon was fair about the recovery time lines.
I will try to look up some of the other posts on here where that procedure was done and post the links. We just had a member who had this procedure done, I believe.
It sounds like you have been going through this mess for a long time. It is an awful thing to go through!! Before my surgery, I kept telling myself that the recovery may be rough and take a while but at least I was doing everything I could to get things moving in the right direction and I wasn't going anywhere by just living with the fissure.
Good luck with your surgery Friday.... And I believe there comes a point where we have to go to the next level or suffer forever. It's obvious you need surgery after dealing with this for so long. Please keep us posted:)
I will try and look for those threads. I just posted them for someone else and I can't remember who it was. I'm thinking "split" but not really sure.

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2011, 07:48

Hey there,
It was "split" who had this procedure and asked about anyone else having it... We posted some links of others who had this procedure on his post.
Here's the link to his post. You will be able to see other links that Steve and I gave.
http://anal-fissure.org/t2563-anyone-had-an-advancement-flap-surgical-procedure?highlight=advancement+flap+surgery

Postby callmecrazy » 11 Jan 2011, 10:22

Thank you so much, Dawn. I realized, looking back, that I lacked some common courtesies in my previous post and for that I apologize. I have just reached my whit's end with these fissures, and the anxiety of upcoming surgery has me beyond frustrated.
I had my pre-op appointment this morning and the surgeon seems very confident that all will go well (I would sure hope so...). I've just never had any surgery before, so it is the fear of the unknown that has gripped my every thought lately.
I really appreciate the links to the previous posts/member that have information regarding this procedure. I will be taking the time to read through it all this evening and hopefully it will help me out.
I am truly grateful for finding this forum. Hopefully I can one day offer support from my experience.
With great appreciation,
Jenn
callmecrazy
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2011, 13:22

Hey Jenn,
I've been there, there's no need to apologize. I was a basket case when it was time for my surgery. I got cancelled on twice before the final day, so I basically felt like I was being tortured,Lol.

Just try to remember to take everything you read with a grain of salt, because none of us are the same. Read as much positive as you can. I think I read so much and expected the worse until I was just pleasantly surprised that I wasn't rolling in the floor with pain.
It may take some time to heal, but at least it's coming, Unlike doing nothing. Another boardie (phil) told me before his surgery that his doctor said he could go through it and deal with the recovery or live with butt pain the rest of his life. That kind of put it in perspective for me.
I think your doctor being confident that this is what you will need is definitely a positive!
:)

Postby sidra1968 » 11 Jan 2011, 15:33

Hello and welcome. Don't worry too much, especially about being put under..it's really no biggie. I had the LIS, so I imagine your recovery may take a bit longer, but it will be so worth it!
Glad you found this forum and am glad you are finally getting this taken care of. Keep us updated!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Bumbutt » 12 Jan 2011, 04:00

I have to say that I love your avatar...! You have a good sense of humor!
Best of luck with your surgery on Friday. I'll be wishing you the best.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby StevePain » 12 Jan 2011, 04:10

One boardie I remember that had Advancement Flap was Elfkin
http://anal-fissure.org/t2275-advancement-flap-surgery-my-experience
Last edited by StevePain on 12 Jan 2011, 04:25, edited 2 times in total.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 12 Jan 2011, 04:11

Hey Jenn,
Wishing you the best of luck on Friday, I'm sure everything will be just fine.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby callmecrazy » 12 Jan 2011, 08:31

Thank you all for the responses. As I've said before, I am quite thankful for finding this forum. It has already helped calm my nerves about Friday.
My main concern, and the reason I went looking for information was the fear of the unknown. I generally have a pretty high pain tolerance, and my body has decided to 'test' me last week with a trip to the ER and a kidney stone (first time I've EVER been to the ER, great timing, huh?), but I am hopeful that I'll put this surgery behind me (pun intended, of course Image) and look forward to a pain-free rest of my life.
Thank you all again. I will start a new post in the general section on Friday, after the surgery, and I will update it regularly.
Image Image
callmecrazy
Salt Bather