it's official: i did it! my LIS outcome

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: it's official: i did it! my LIS outcome

Postby happyass » 20 Feb 2011, 00:07

okay, here's the 1 month post-LIS surgery update for me, happyass!
if you look back at report 3 weeks out, i was suspicious of the skin tag site as i didn't "feel it" healing normally and it felt puffier and a bit more hard as well as tender than the other anal tissues, also had a follow-up CRS appt that following thursday.
the CRS took a peak in there with not one but two anoscope entries - why she choses to always put me through 2 is beyond me but the first one is always the worst as she just kinda shoves it in there - mind you not super fast but quite fast that i have no chance to really relax - ugh.
anyway, i told her that i felt something snap earlier that week and it must have been the tissues where the skin tag site was trying to heal. she confirmed that yes the skin tag site was healing nicely but not healed yet. on the other hand, she commented that the fissure was still there and was healing slower than she would have liked.
the possibility of having a second procedure entered the conversation and well, if need be, then fine.
also she will have me on a 'watch' every 3 months up to the first year for any new HPV growth. i supposed if i need to get more tissue removed, i could sneak in an LIS adjustment.
okay the good news is:
no bleeding present even despite some set backs noted in the challenging section
aside from the 3 instances, typically my BMs have been discomfort/pain free during and post-BM relief.
discharges from anus almost completely gone to gone. i kept wearing gauzes to avoid moisture/sweaty butt as i walked to work. (this changed however, about day 29)
farting has been a treat!
finally played Just Dance 1 and 2 on Wii and had lots of fun this weekend.
got on my elliptical tonight too. went really well.
i decided to treat myself to a trip to go home. i was a bit skeptical how i would do on the 2 plane flights since i didn't anticipate having 2 anoscopies done the day of the flight. i took some extra acetomenaphine to help with any potential discomfort. flights were fine.
the challenges i had the last week of my 1st month were:
after something snapped in the area of my skin tag excision, and after the CRS gave me the clear on nothing looking/feeling infected, i was optimistic.
however, going home for that weekend, i didn't have access to a bath tub to do my soaks and i had started to use the Charmin Freshmates wipes for cleaning. i was still using gauze pads to keep moisture under control. i was all clear through Texas but the following events happened.
i got back to DC on Monday night (day 29) and had a BM. again, something felt like it snapped and there was a new intense pain that i hadn't experienced previously from the skin tag excision site! odd enough no blood.
cleaned up that night with hot bath and added some lidocaine ointment. gauzed myself. waking up on tuesday morning, gauze had brownish to greenish discharge. i hadn't seen that before at all!
cut a fresh aloe vera plant leaf and applied the natural salve to the area where skin tag excision site was. gauzed myself. went to work. at work, i checked my gauze, and i had brownish/green discharge. these discharges weren't huge and only were like a 2 inch line on the gauze.
the following days, i did feel a cut in my bum. especially when sitting down for extended periods of time at work. i didn't have this before leaving Texas so i owed it all up to the after effects of that "snap" event.
i went to CVS and got me some triple antibiotic to use that evening.
did my hot bath at night and i noticed that the skin tag area's puffiness and tenderness and somewhat "hardness" were all gone.
prepped my butt for sleep - with antibiotic ointment and aloe vera and gauze.
next wednesday morning, a smaller discharge and lighter green/brown color. did my bath, added antibiotic ointment and gauzed myself for the day.
by thursday morning, there was no discharge on gauze. since thursday, discharge has disappeared.
i have been keeping my antibiotic ointment treatment.
had my primary physician take a peak at things down there and he didn't really think there was anything going on and i offered him a chance to give me a prescription for antibiotics for oral consumption but he didn't think it was necessary.
enter metamucil conversation.
today is now saturday and my butt now feels normal actually. whereas before, i always felt suspicious about the way the skin tag excision site felt - it didn't feel like the rest of my anus. as of today, it has graduated and now feels like the rest of my anus.
interesting.
i was able to find the ketanserin gel in mexico and had it sent to me. it was approximately $75 including shipping. i started application of the gel friday night. you are supposed to apply 3 times per day, with 1 application overnight. you are supposed to apply on fissure area.
i am hoping that this gel will aid in the healing of the skin tag excision primarily.
tonight i decided to go in further and apply gel inside rectum as there wasn't any noticeable side effects from the external application. put on my finger cots and let myself relax.
i could sense the fissure as i slowly entered the anus. darn thing! made sure that area got a nice coating.
i also went a bit further in and i feel like there is this big scab inside. i am assuming that is where the LIS incision was made. i know that it has to be that cause it matches the side the CRS said the LIS was made.
after adding the ketanserin ointment, i applied a coating of lidocaine 5% to the fissure site as well. otherwise, i was surprised at how well things were feeling down there.
i am hoping that the ketanserin will help with the skin tag open wound and then fissure secondly. the suggested treatment with ketanserin is 15 days. so let's see what happens in 15 days!
i get a sense that the skin tag excision site is morphing and actually feels like it is healing the way that it should have in the first place since my butt now feels normal all around.
we'll see.
here is going into week 5 and month no. 2!!!!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Bambi » 20 Feb 2011, 14:31

Hi Happy- What is the Ketanseranin? Good that you had access to that being so near Mexico. I hope things continue onward and upward with no setbacks for you!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby happyass » 20 Feb 2011, 21:44

hi bambi,
ketanserin is the main ingredient in an ointment similar to diltiazem.
i was reading up that diltiazem works on different receptors than ketanserin does and sometimes ketanserin may offer higher probability of wound healing as in anal fissures (it is also used in treating ulcers within the vagina!)
with my fissure and skin tag healing slowly, i thought i would see if this ointment would have any positive effect on healing these wounds.
i am mostly interested in healing the skin tag site.
if i can heal the fissure site too, marvelous!
in Mexico, this is marketed under the rx name of Sufrexal and Sufrexal P.
the Sufrexal is pure ketanserin in a base.
the Sufrexal P is ketanserin with benzocaine in a base.
i got the Sufrexal since i have lidocaine separately.
it's pricey! and God bless my mom and sister for crossing the dangerous border at this time in history.
the good news for now as i am approaching day 2 of using this stuff, there seems to be no side-effects that i can feel. i feel like there is a scab forming on the skin tag site.
i just applied it to the fissure internally last night. so tonight will be two nights.
i had a big big BM earlier today. i had to squat. i use the squat if i feel the BM is going to be a challenge. and this one was. despite all the additional fiber intake, had a some clay-like crap slowly come out that it required some pushing. ugh!
as your BM experience Bambi, once i got that out of the way, lots more came out smoothly.
i'll see if you have any more positive feedback using your miralax to end the clay poos!
keep me posted.
happyass
King Fissure

Postby Bambi » 21 Feb 2011, 13:58

So pre-surgery I have been having at least 2 , usually 3 BMs a day. Before that, I had been up and down with my thyroid meds being out of whack where my dosage got too high. After a while, I realized that when I was going 4-5 times a day, gee, maybe my thyroid was getting too high. Then after a while with the fissure that seemed to just be happening because of all the things I was taking to keep things soft. But before that (probably my whole life until 2 or 3 years ago) I was a eat breakfast, go once a day girl with no problems ever on the constipation front. As I've said before, I was the one carrying around Immodium in case I got excited, hot, too tired, got married, etc...
So now maybe I'll have a whole new "normal"?
Right now, post surgery, it seems to be "eat dinner, wait an hour, then have BM". So I keep medicating myself in case I have that morning BM I am so expecting after a night of no pain meds and then it doesn't happen. Hmmm...
So today I plan to see how I feel after lunch- that will be about 6 hours post meds, and then really just take it easy and read, watch TV. If around dinner, I am actually hurting I will take something or maybe for good measure for the coming BM time. And then I think that will be it. We shall see!
I do find myself having more gas today and have been walking in a circle around our dining room, kitchen, den, living room. Our dog is very confused by this and feels shortchanged, I can tell! In the past, the Citrucel gave me quite a bit of gas but I haven't had any since the surgery in spite of using it.
For the most part, I have little to complain about! It could hurt a lot more and I could be struggling with the BMs more. Really, all is pretty good. I feel like I should be weaning off the meds and see how I am. I'm such a weeny sometimes!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 24 Feb 2011, 18:59

well here is my belated 5 week post LIS update!
from the last update, yes i had splitting of my skin tag closure. ugh. it would try to close in a few days only to be opened up again by a stretching bm!
since my LIS was on a Wednesday, i have tried to write these follow ups on Wednesday.
i started applying an ointment called Sufrexal in Mexico which features Ketanserin as its main ingredient. started that on Saturday since my last update.
that Saturday night i had a split open of my skin tag site! Ugh.
also on Thursday i started eating Metamucil wafers.
between adding the wafers - which by Tuesday - my poo finally came out silky smooth altho it felt like diarrhea coming out - and the ointment I think I turned a corner to good things on Tuesday night.
i haven't had a tear of my skin tag area and as a matter of fact it seems to be closing finally.
also, when i apply the ointment all the way in, the scab i felt on the LIS site, seems to have vanished.
the other positive thing is that i don't feel the tenderness of the fissure that my CRS and primary care physician kept seeing as active and open.
oddly enough, on Wednesday, being the 5 week mark, I guess my butt wanted to celebrate by giving me 5 BMs that day, 4 calling birds, 3 french hens, 2 turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
my butt passed the test i guess. especially as the day passed, each BM felt more diarrhea like and were very tricky with loads of gas - i am thinking here metamucil wafters magic.
anyway, here i am on Thursday night, one day past 5 week post LIS and i feel like the rewards are finally paying off.
i feel closure below in both areas of concern.
my BMs are super soft - thanks metamucil wafers and 2 glasses of prune juice - both not taken at the same time.
no pain.
no bleeding.
and i even treated myself on Sunday to an all you can eat soup and salad at Olive Garden with the daredevil stunt of eating those breadsticks. i bathed those suckers in olive oil, pepper, and salt - had about 2.5 of those.
and for work, i treated myself to some vegetarian Indian fare - ie, curried lentils, curried eggplant, curried chick peas and 2 vegetarian samosas.
although i am super careful on the loo as i don't want to chance a sneaky poo flying out my bum like a bat flying under the influence!
still doing my hot baths with epsom salts.
there truly is progress - well there always was but it was tricky getting here.
i hope this continues as i will gladly stay this way but i know i have some more healing closure to do. i have to continue using the ointment for at least another week.
i hope this is it!
please please please.......
happyass
King Fissure

Postby Bambi » 24 Feb 2011, 19:59

Happy-
I'm just checking in- I'm trying not to sit too long today and haven't mastered the typing without sitting part of this yet! But I wanted to tell you that I hope and pray this is the beginning of a really good healing period for you. Sounds like this ointment has helped. God bless you!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bumbutt » 25 Feb 2011, 02:33

That's great Happy, that you feel progress in the right direction... no more skin tag site splitting!! Keep drinking your water too.
I'm thinking of you and sending prayers up for your continued healing and Happy-ness.
Are you busy with your work and your math courses too? Hope they are going well!
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby sphinctersaurus » 25 Feb 2011, 04:39

Hey Happy,
I've got a good feeling about this. It seems you may have turned a corner. Bring on the fully healed anus!!
Soft poo, no pain, no bleeding, breadsticks ... currrrrrrry ... You don't want to see a sphinctersaurus drool do you? It's quite undignified!
If you'd said you had eaten a burrito I'd have been driven into a jealous rage! Just warning you. Image
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?