it's official: i did it! my LIS outcome

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: it's official: i did it! my LIS outcome

Postby StevePain » 21 Jan 2011, 14:18

I second what Kim said, please don't try and do too much too soon, rest for a good while, don't push things, I made that mistake in the early stages and it set me back a good month or so.
Don't fret too much about that first BM, it'll surely make an appearance when all good and ready, just wait for your body to give that "I need to poop" signal and let it happen, try not to strain either.
BTW, you seem to be doing great, keep it up, I like LIS success stories!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 21 Jan 2011, 16:10

Happy, I told ya so!! Lol
I was skeptical of Small Change's LIS experience. He really inspired me before my surgery. I thought he was taking it easy on me and not really sharing how awful it must be, ha,ha.....
It's good to see you are doing so awesome! :)
Psss... Don't be surprised at the size of the BM's at first. They're HUGE, but get back to normal soon. When you see your butt take those turds, you'll know LIS is the shizzz. Lol

Postby Guest » 21 Jan 2011, 16:14

agreeing w/ Kim. Take it easy :)
I treated my butt with major kindness despite not feeling too bad.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 21 Jan 2011, 17:21

A very mild stimulant laxative would not hurt, maybe half a dose, G. I know how you are about such things, but when I didn't go after three days post LIS, the CRS didn't hesitate to tell me (over the phone) to take a laxative AND an enema. I worry the stool is drying out now, Happy...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 21 Jan 2011, 21:15

Hey Happy,
I was told if my bm didn't happen on the 3rd day to take milk of magnesia, miralax and something else that was stronger that I can't recall if one of the first two didn't work.
I had some harder stools from taking the vicodin a couple of days, and I was taking colace.
I stopped the pain meds after two days , got the valium for the spasms and started miralax then the bm's became regular. The vicodin definitely made harder stools for me.

Postby Bumbutt » 22 Jan 2011, 05:22

That's great that you can go outside and take your happy little pug out for a walk.
How is it all feeling today?
PS - I meant to pick up some miso soup in your honor on my grocery shopping "trip" yesterday, but I forgot! Next time.... It's so simple, but so good!
Last edited by Bumbutt on 22 Jan 2011, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ps
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby happyass » 22 Jan 2011, 06:40

good morning bumbutt and everyone,
well, i am still under 72 hours - so not quite three days yet.
probably in 30 minutes or so, i will be going out for a walk with my sweet baby pug. i am wearing diapers so if my body decides to take its first crap while i am out, i am ready. Image
i am not trying to overanalyze the poo, but it seems that a few LISers have been in this situation so i would expect this to be normal. i also have to take into consideration that:
1. i did four enemas before surgery. one monday morning, one tuesday morning, one tuesday night, and one wednesday morning.
2. i ate super light on tuesday: a fresh juice at the vegetarian shop for breakfast, six prunes and hot water with tea for lunch, and a mid-size bowl of miso soup with pickled beet juice for dinner (around 7:45 pm)
3. all i have been eating since i got back from the surgery is pureed til its soup-like consistency food but all vegetable with exception of the morning, that has been pureed prunes with oats (and yesterday morning i added some blueberries and 1/2 an apple). so most of the food i have had has been liquidy and finely pureed.
in any event, thanks Kim for pointing out the "after 2 days and no poop" guideline as for some reason, that was staring at me in the "after anal surgery..." pamphlet i got on my 12/27 visit with the CRS. LOL!
so i had my friend get me some MOM and some Aveeno soap so i can start washing down there with soap (i have been washing down there but not adding any soap - just hot water during the soaks and in the shower and letting water just cleanse the area; my S300 has also been great at keeping it clean as i just sit there and push the "cleanse" button and for 2 minutes it aims warm water right over the right places).
so in retrospect, my last 24 hours have been amazing.
no post-op pain
no bleeding
the swelling is going down altho there is a lot to go
when there is gas, it passes with ease - some slow and some quick
finally witnessed what we meant by discharges on the gauze squares. they have been light pink and the circumference of the pinkness has been decreasing as i made changes - i kept changing the gauze about every 3 hours and keeping it dry. this morning, there was little to no circumference of pink.
still taking the toradol. down to two pills.
did play about 30 minutes of Wii yesterday to get my mind off of things and to get some lite physical action.
watched about three-four Netflix movies.
took a nap or two.
began getting cravings for krispy kreme donuts, KFC, a big nice double cheeseburger, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, potstickers, chinese food, pizza, fried hot tofu cubes...you name it, i probably wanted to eat it. Image the puree stuff is all beginning to taste the same! LOL.
last night around 830 pm, took the MOM. i know it was working as i felt things rumbling around my tummy. but all i got was gas.
this morning, no BM so i took another round of MOM at 7:15 am. in 10 minutes, i got a big sounding liquidy angel gas. no BM.
i may consider an enema later this evening or tomorrow. i just am concerned about inserting it the wrong way or causing injury. other than that, i would love to do the enema now as they were easy before surgery.
i'll take my stool softners next as usual. and the toradol.
i don't have any soreness or feeling/awareness that i ever had my skin tag removed or where even the LIS was done.
i do have some light soreness, if you can call it that, or tenderness is a better word, where the extra skin was taken out/excised (which was the opposite end of where the skin tag and fissure was) probably due to some HPV activity just to be safe.
other than waiting for the BM, everything is going really great. i'll see if i can find a book to read...i should really start my calculus 3 review studies since i had to postpone that final exam last month and take it before march ends. but i am just not in the mood to deal with it right now.
okay, Happy's POO-WATCH is ON! if anybody knows where it is or has seen it, please call 1-800-HAPPY right away!!!!!
Last edited by happyass on 22 Jan 2011, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Bumbutt » 22 Jan 2011, 07:01

Good Morning Happy,
I'm lying here working on Excel sheets, so I thought I'd send a morning reply! That's so great that you are taking math classes and thinking of being a math teacher. If there is one thing that is needed, it's good math teachers. I hated math as a school-kid, but I use a lot of it in my work now. If I had just had a good math teacher, I think I wouldn't have approached math with such low self-confidence. Now that I'm (much) older, I also think math is a bit fun.
Anyway, you are still recovering, so I think you have to treat yourself well. That's my philosophy. Pamper yourself a little... watch some TV, read a good book, get some magazines, etc. You don't have to dive right into the calculus 3!
I'm not experienced in the LIS subject, but if I were you, I would try to just let my body have the BM. The idea of putting anything up there after the surgery gave me the willy-nillys. But that's just me. Hopefully the MOM or other laxative will do the trick, plus the blueberries! Think happy thoughts! It will come!
Maybe you can add something more solid into your diet? I had some mashed sweet potatoes last night. Yum.
Got my fingers crossed for your continued success and looking forward to the poop report (in a funny kind of way).
Have a good morning! - BB
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby happyass » 22 Jan 2011, 09:38

Happy's Poo Update:
I finally had the urge in a different way that i had yesterday. Yesterday was all full of urges but not quite the kind that feel like your BM was knocking on the door to come out and say hi. Yesterday's urges only resulted in long conciertos of gas.
Today I felt its footsteps creeping close to the door and it was first knocking softly and then I guess it decided to ring my doorbell instead! LOL!
I was tempted to sit on the toilet but something intuitively told me that I should squat. Got some of that shopping newspaper that you get in the mail that is a waste of paper and well, I laid it out on the floor and prepared my squat.
Did my yogic breath, slowly and into my abdomen fully. Then slowly out.
And although I was afraid to do some pushing, I felt that it was necessary to get it going. And so I offered a push or two and it slowly made its way out.
It was not liquid. It was more solid than I would have preferred but it was not hard. It was sorta like soft Play-doh!
It was 10:17 a.m. and it took a good three minutes or so to complete as I took my time.
I was expecting horrific pain.
I was expecting some tearing sensation.
I was expecting something unpleasant.
But none of it ever happened.
I got up from my squat and sat on my toilet and let the S300 clean me up. I could see that after the 3 minute cleanse, there was debris settled at the bottom of the bowl.
No blood.
I am like, is this it? Really?
I am preparing my epsom salt soak bath now and will clean with my Aveeno soap thereafter and take a shower.
I hope the BMs to follow are this successful.
Thank you all for your continued support and kind words. For keeping me company along this recovery.
I'll keep up with the updates.
So it seems that it took me 72 hours approximately after LIS to achieve my first BM.
Happy Saturday indeed!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby nimitor » 22 Jan 2011, 09:45

Oh well done!!!I was holding my breath as I read your report.I can't believe there was no blood or agonising tearing! I am so relieved for you :)
nimitor
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?