Hello, I'm new here.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello, I'm new here.

Postby ewan » 26 Jan 2011, 07:12

Hello everyone.
I’m 28 yrs old and live in the UK. My troubles all began in May last year when I had an operation removing my ruptured appendix. The combination of being on a drip for a few days and strong pain killers during my recovery meant I didn’t need a BM for over 4 day despite laxatives etc. I eventually went and I was constipated for the first time in my life, and experiencing pain similar to the appendicitis. Image Obviously there was blood too and this was my AF.
I was put on a course of Lactulose Solution and Fybogel to help soften my BM’s and Anusol HC Ointment. The Anusol made little, if any difference. I was still in constant pain 2 weeks later, so I was changed to Rectogesic Ointment (4mg/g) which gave me the common sore head side effect, but well worth it for the relief.
Still in pain 5 weeks later, I was sent for a colonoscopy (tiny camera), but I was so sore and almost yelping, I needed to be examined under aesthetic.
2 weeks later (9 weeks since pain began) in July, I got a cancellation slot for an op and it was confirmed to be an AF and I got bottox there and then.
It took 6 weeks before I had pain free BM’s again, but I was finally back to work. I think what kick started my recovery here (apart from the bottox obviously) was I introduced Activia Bio yoghurts (fat free variety) into my diet. Despite being pain free, during each BM I could still feel it wasn’t normal and sure enough, the pain and blood was back 3 months after the bottox, but not so bad I was off work, but still really sore, so I was back on the waiting list again.
2 weeks ago I had another operation. The surgeons were going to go for the LIS this time, but when they examined me, they could see I had made good progress at healing and so they did another dose of bottox instead.
Recently i have become obessed with what i eat and how much i drink, which is proving to be really beneficial.
Now I am still in pain and so fed up and frustrated with it all. I’ve been looking round this forum over the last couple of days, not only is it great to soaked up so much information/adivce, but it reassuring to read other people suffering with the same problems and i can't believe its taken me this long to find this forum, so thank you everyone.
ewan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Hello, I'm new here.

Postby alpinestrawberry » 26 Jan 2011, 09:00

Ewan, I'm new here too. Wow, you've been through a lot! I hope the botox kicks in and works for you. You definitely have more of a chance than someone like me, who let their fissures go too long without treatment. Surgery seems to become less optional after awhile. I and many others here are feeling your pain. Hang in there!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby evie » 26 Jan 2011, 11:51

welcome ewan, i too have had botox and had to be put to sleep even to be examined as i was in so much pain ,and, like you they found out it was a chronic fissure and gave me botox there and then keep us updated with your recovery! and i will do the same wishing you painless b.m lol xx
evie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby ewan » 26 Jan 2011, 13:23

Thank you for your kind welcomes and well wishes. I have a few questions so i'll post them the relivent sections shortly. Looking forward to learning more tricks and tips from you guys.
ewan
Fibre Addict

Postby StevePain » 26 Jan 2011, 14:04

Welcome to the board ewan, you'll get plenty of useful information right here at your fingertips, feel free to ask any questions and we'll try our best to answer and indeed help you!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby ewan » 07 Mar 2011, 19:36

Just to up-date this ...
After reading on here all the positive results with Movicol, the next day i went straight to my GP and he put me on it. Within a few days i was almost pain free and within 2 weeks totally better, so i can't recommend movicol enough! Mix it with a little blackcurrent juice and its tastes fine.
5 weeks on, i'm off lactulose and fybregel, but i'm still using the Movicol and living a normal every day life again! I had my 2nd course of Botox 8 weeks ago, so i am obviously still under its effect, but hopefully by the time the botox wears off, i'll be fully healed!
I'll keep up-dating this with how i get on.
ewan
Fibre Addict