General food questions

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

General food questions

Postby ewan » 27 Jan 2011, 10:30

As promised in my intro ("hello i'm new here"), i'd like to ask some questions about what everyone considers good and bad food, specifically relating to AF's.
If food high in fibre can move the bowels, there must also be foods/ingredients which do the opposite and therefore cause constipation? Caffine for example.
So with that logic, you can't just look at the fibre content of a food, as the constipating content might be worse and cancel it out? For example (and i've just made this up), you might see "rasberry ice cream" which has loads of fruit in it and think "great, its got a good bit of fibre in it", but the fat and sugar is so much worse! ok, not a great example, but you get the idea.
So my question is, what foods should AF suffers avoid because they are actually constipants despite there fibre credentials?
ewan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: General food questions

Postby StevePain » 27 Jan 2011, 15:14

I would avoid all dairy and red meats for a start, any high fibre foods should not constipate, eat soups, steamed veg, boiled rice and fruit, other foods to avoid are peanuts, raw veg, spicy or hot foods and chips.
You'll have to tinker with your diet to get what's right for you, everybody's digestive systems are different.
Good Luck
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby ewan » 27 Jan 2011, 15:37

Cheers Steve. Raw vag was one i wasn't aware of ... thanks!
ewan
Fibre Addict

Postby StevePain » 28 Jan 2011, 03:57

Raw veg is very hard to digest and is sometimes passed out in BM as undigested which as you can imagine will catch the fissure on it's way out, that's the way I look at food since my fissure, what goes in must come out but it's how it comes out that matters!
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby ewan » 28 Jan 2011, 04:25

Right, that makes sense. I thought i was being good munching on raw carrot as a healthly snack, so this is an example of what i was talking about!
Any more?
ewan
Fibre Addict

Postby StevePain » 28 Jan 2011, 07:35

Just stick with all things "wholemeal" plus what I've mentioned already, I always have porridge for breakfast and when in pain I have a soup for dinner as well then something that consists of vegetables for tea + 1-2 litres of water although at the moment I'm reducing my intake of water so my BM's aren't too soft, I prefer more bulky stools which equals less pain and less clean up..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 28 Jan 2011, 07:44

soft high fiber foods seem to make easier bm's than high fiber crackers or cereal bars,etc... IMO. Apples are another example- they're good for you but make easier bm's when they are baked( cooked). Like Steve said cooked vegs are better for a fissure.

Postby alpinestrawberry » 28 Jan 2011, 21:54

My piece of advice is that if you have any IBS symptoms, stay far far away from Fiber One bars!!!!!! I don't know if you have those in the UK. The main ingredient is chicory (contains inulin) and it is rough. Sure, they'll move on through you but they cause terrible gut pain and more farts in one hour than should have in an entire month! Anyway, I guess that's what you get for eating something so processed in the first place. So watch out for anything with chicory or inulin. If you can stomach it though, it might help with the fissure.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Bumbutt » 29 Jan 2011, 05:00

I first bought high fiber bread that contained flax seeds, sunflower seeds, etc - those flax seeds don't digest well! So now I look for high fiber bread with absolutely no seeds.
All-bran cereal also has a surprising amount of sugar in it - but this doesn't bother me so much. 7g in a 30g serving!
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby StevePain » 29 Jan 2011, 13:41

I made the same mistake a few years ago, I bought seeded bread with a whole variety of seeds in it, it was nice going down but coming out was hell on earth, I also had a similar experience with dry roasted peanuts... Never again!
StevePain
King Fissure