fissure friendly foods/ eating out at restaurants

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: fissure friendly foods/ eating out at restaurants

Postby Bumbutt » 31 Jan 2011, 03:07

Dawn - well, chicken wings and turkey sandwiches, huh??!! Image Image Not to mention hershey bars and ice cream! - Hmmm,... those are some of my favorites too!!
You know your body best, and you have to do things at your own pace. You had such a traumatic time with your AF, I can understand your caution! My thoughts (for what they are worth!) are that if eating white meat didn't bother you before the AF, then maybe just eating a little of it will be ok. Especially while you are taking the Miralax. Maybe it's good to re-introduce a little bit of meat (if that is what you want) like chicken or fish, while you are taking the miralax. I have the impression that it pulverizes nearly everything in my intestines... I have eaten small portions of chicken (1/4 to 1/2 breast) or fish (mainly salmon, which is a bit fatty fish, so not as good for us to eat, but it works ok for me) probably 4 times a week during my AF.
For me, I know my stomach adapts over time to digesting what it's given, so to make a slow change seems like a good idea. And to do it at home, where you have more control over how the food is cooked.
Just a funny story - when I came to Sweden, I was a vegetarian. At my new work, we had a meeting, and the special dinner they arranged was a "Viking dinner" where you wore these viking hats, drank "honey-beer", and the only thing to eat was big, enormous slabs of beef served on a wooden plank, and the only utensil you got was like a hunting knife. Ooooo - I didn't feel well for days after that dinner! Even without an AF!
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2011, 10:24

Bumbutt,
I honestly think most of my fears of meat are psychological! LOL I've never had any problems before my fissure. I'm really not a big meat eater normally but I do miss cheese burgers! My weakness is sweats and I've taken plenty of risk since my surgery Image and had no problems at all with them. I really miss cheese too! I may take a bite of something here and there but don't have enough nerve to eat much, like the chicken wing! I wanted a whole plate but I ripped it in half and just kept dipping my bone in the ranch. Lol
I'm going to definitely give the chicken a try, especially since I never had problems and most people with active fissures are eating some. I'll wait until my 6 month mark to venture out too far. I know I will always be sure to get my fiber no matter what else I eat :)
Thanks BB

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2011, 10:32

PaulsPain wrote:My BM for the most part are not to bad - still having 3-4 a day which is getting old. The fistula will ache some days - all day. The challenge is trying to keep the thing clean. The drain, which kind of looks like a zip tie, catches a lot. So having the hand shower helps a lot at home. But at work it is tough. I have to wear a pad and tuck a cotton ball to catch drainage and to keep the drain from digging in. I then change this cotton ball often. I get really tired of the drainage......
I still bleed once in awhile from the 6 o'clock position. This then causes spasms, and into fissure pain I go. I am not sure what it is - old problem never cured or new...... I mentioned it to my CRS the last time and he said he didn't see anything other than a severely inflamed rear. He said the inflammation can cause pain.
Thanks for the prayers.

Holy cow Paul!! This has got to get better!! I just wish the meds would kick butt soon and give you some relief! Image
Hopefully when you hit the 3 month mark with the meds you will see some improvements. You are a strong person! I think I would be insane dealing with what you have.
I will definitely keep you in my prayers and believe that this medication is going to be your healing!

Postby MattMecham » 31 Mar 2011, 15:43

Guest wrote:Hey BB,
I haven't had meat in about 10 months. Crazy, I know! I wouldn't even eat chicken before LIS. I need to get brave and branch out a little more w/ my diet. I swear, the fissure put major fear in me with food. I've ate tons of sweets since LIS and have had no problems at all. I still haven't ate more than a bite of meat here and there.
Ice cream and hershey bars have put 20 lbs back on me,LOL... I honestly think I'm going to get fat if I don't slow down.

I know what you mean -- all throughout February and well into March, all I would eat is a pear or apple for breakfast with 2 tsp of psyllium husk in water, an apple or pear for lunch with maybe 2 oz. of deli turkey, and then a salad for dinner with 2 TBS of fat free dressing, a cut up tomato, and maybe 4 crackers crushed over the top of it. I've dropped almost 30 pounds in two months, and not all of it was healthy weight loss.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Deedee62 » 11 Apr 2011, 17:52

I usually eat broiled fish, rice & steamed veggies or soup. That is about all I manage when I am out. Have to be extra careful because I have GERD on top of it all and that complicates things...
Deedee62
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Postby MattMecham » 11 Apr 2011, 20:59

It's hard to go wrong with fish. Before my LIS surgery, I didn't eat a whole lot of fish, but since then, I've been eating swai. It is affordable, healthy, and extremely tasty when you cook it in a frying pan with a little butter, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lemon pepper. Small amounts of those ingredients, but they pack a lot of flavor, and the whole meal (usually have it with cut up, cooked squash and carrots) appears to be very kind to my intestines.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Savaici » 12 Apr 2011, 09:15

I eat sparingly too, but I have decided to have the odd "treat," like a bit of chocolate last night. I have lost about 25 lbs, and what is even worse for me, I have lost muscle mass in the cheeks of my arse, and wonder if that is the cause of my coccyx pain and flat poop!! Always guessing. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222