Post-LIS Discharge

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post-LIS Discharge

Postby FissureFreakout » 23 May 2024, 17:10

Hello! I had LIS, fissurectomy, and skin tag removal and my recovery has been painfully slow.

Week 1 was excruciating. It was horrible. Week 2 was bad. Week 3 is when things turned around for the better, and tomorrow is 4 weeks. And while I feel much better and can poop without straining, I still feel a little nervous due to some discharge. A little green and brown discharge leaks sometimes. I pat every couple of hours and get some discharge on the toilet paper. I would say it is getting better but I’m not 100% sure. It smells like poop. I also still have a small amount of blood while pooping. Some people say they had discharge for 4-8 weeks. And because I had so much done, I’m trying to think optimistically that my prolonged discharge is because of that.

I asked my CRS if this is normal and he threw antibiotics at it without even seeing me and said contact him in two weeks if it doesn’t get better. Antibiotics will probably give me diarrhea and rip me back open, but if I don’t take them I fear I will get a fistula due to infection. Fistulas are super rare with LIS though. Less than 1%. So idk, probably not an infection but was wondering if anyone else had prolonged discharge past week 4 after LIS? I feel like it’s based at my incision site.
FissureFreakout

Topics: 1

Re: Post-LIS Discharge

Postby Rich44 » 31 May 2024, 21:50

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I had a pretty easy recovery. Some minor discomfort post surgery for about a week. That was it. My fissure was completely healed when I saw the CRS three weeks after the LIS. No problems since then (October 2020).
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of June 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Re: Post-LIS Discharge

Postby FissureFreakout » 14 Jun 2024, 15:26

Update for anyone who is reading this in the future.

I’m 7 weeks post-op now. I took the antibiotics and managed the diarrhea pretty well with probiotics. My condition slowly improved. I’m still sore and deal with blood with BMs but the discharge isn’t as bad. Seems like I’ll be a long healer.
FissureFreakout

Topics: 1