Does anyone else suffer from IBS?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Does anyone else suffer from IBS?

Postby Sue27uk » 16 Jun 2011, 10:07

I was only diagnosed with IBS a year ago. Since keeping a food diary I have also found oranges and tomatoes and citrus based fruit aggravates me and also veg such as cauliflower and broccoli. With a fissure, as I have discovered over the past few weeks, this is difficult!! I tried fybogel (which you can get from boots) but it didn't agree with me. However I have swapped from buscopan a week ago and am using mebeverine instead which has really settled my wind and cramps! Also started taking probiotic acidophilus (which you can get from Holland & Barratt) which has helped. Stool softener, I'm using a VERY small amount of lactulose which is helping and using rectogesic ointment for the fissure. My doctor is arranging an appointment with a dietician so i will let you know if anything comes of it. Can you ask for some help? Got follow up appointment at the hospital soon hopefully about the fissure. Hope that some of this is helpful, though I know everyone is different :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby seattlesounders » 23 Jun 2011, 18:14

I was diagnosed with IBS years ago, I managed to control my symptoms with diet and Peppamint oil capsules. If you look at the Amazon.com reviews, a number of sufferers seem to be reporting good results with them. Has anybody tried them while recovering from fissure surgery? http://www.amazon.com/Peppermint-Gels-90-Now-Foods/dp/B000MZQQQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308873304&sr=8-1
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Savaici » 24 Jun 2011, 20:15

This is what they have to say on the Mayo Clinic site:
Herbs. Peppermint is a natural antispasmodic that relaxes smooth muscles in the intestines. Peppermint may provide short-term relief of IBS symptoms, but study results have been inconsistent. If you'd like to try peppermint, be sure to use enteric-coated capsules. Peppermint may aggravate heartburn. Before taking any herbs, check with your doctor to be sure they won't interact or interfere with other medications you may be taking.
The heartburn worries me, but it is interesting to read how many have had some relief from taking this.
Last edited by Anonymous on 24 Jun 2011, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Alterations
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby seattlesounders » 24 Jun 2011, 23:29

Thanks have ordered some, and will report back. The other thing I'm finding that helps right now is to have Metamucil after quaker oats (with water). For some reason that seems to calm my stomuch and prevent cramps from starting. Bobcat, Totally relate to the lack of food variety that you can eat right now - I think I'd be lost without my blender.
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Postby seattlesounders » 02 Jul 2011, 10:54

Well tried one last night and seemed to stop my stomuch from churning with wind. I do have reflux but had no symptoms of heartburn.
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Postby Sue27uk » 24 Jul 2011, 14:07

Have been to the dietician and what she said was;
1)Limit fruit (which I do!)
2)Have oats (in porridge) and golden linseeds (haven't tried this yet!).
3)Have probiotics, best in activia yoghurt but must be every day for 10 days to see effect.
4)Cut down resistant starches (pulses, green bananas, undercooked potato, oven chips, crisps, potato waffles, processed foods such as biscuits and cakes, ready meals and dried pasta).
I have tried reducing the starches, including green bananas and the potato side of things, plus biscuits and have noticed a big improvement. Hope this helps!! If you need any advice on diarrhoea/constipation I have it :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby seattlesounders » 05 Sep 2011, 17:40

Guys, did anyone with IBS have slow healing from their surgery? Asking because I'm getting tested for Crohns tomorrow and I'm wondering if there are any other explanations...
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2011, 21:32

Hey Seattle,
I don't have IBS. NG, Cherylk and a few others had IBS while healing. NG was a pretty slow healer after surgery.
There were several older post with folks who had IBS while healing from surgery. I believe Sidra and Tabby had IBS and both had surgery. You may be able to research their posts...

Postby buttdrama30 » 07 Sep 2011, 21:51

catnap wrote:Hi Bobcat, I also suffer from IBS. I'm pretty convinced that's why I have a fissure. I tend towards constipation. To manage I avoid wheat and try and eat healthily. Works to some degree but stress will also bring on the IBS so it's circular now - stress = IBS = fissure = more stress etc.

Pretty much my problem. It's like a vicious cycle. Stress + IBS attack and of course, the beautiful fissure re-opens. Image
buttdrama30

Topics: 1